RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Protect those fog lights $!$!$!

Old 01-15-11, 09:34 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Protect those fog lights $!$!$!

There was a previous thread about someone shattering a lens and the hassle of gaining access to it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...shattered.html

My wife came out of the grocery store last week and found the drivers side fog lens shattered on her two month old RX350. No idea how it happened other than an errant rock, which seems odd since we live in rural area and there aren't that many vehicles throwing rocks around. Anyway I did not have the time or inclination to fool around with it so she took it in to the dealer. I had previously checked on SewellParts.com and the CL member price is $118.83 + shipping, so somewhere around $130. I decided not to order it hoping they might comp her for the repair since it was a new vehicle (NOT!). Total replacement cost was $128 for labor, and $187 for the fog light assembly for a grand total of $331 incl sales tax. This is NOT a cheap repair and I'm not sure why the trend is to put glass lenses on these fog lights, it is asking for trouble, imo. I've ordered some Lamin-X film covers ($18) which may offer some protection from further damage. Just be careful as it is not a cheap repair as you can't just replace the lens. To me it is a poor design with difficult access and inability to replace the lens only. I had received a $500 gift card from Lexus last month as a goodwill gesture for the valve spring recall on my 2006 IS350 so I used it to pay for the repair......it goes in one pocket and out the other!

Upside was they turned off the damn ding dong on the seat belt alarm, so that annoyance is over. We always wear seat belts but rolling up to a stop to let someone out, or driving up a long driveway after getting the mail we we constantly annoyed by the granny alarm.
Old 01-16-11, 05:09 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Tough break,E.
Good advice.

I went with this vinyl protection after reading that thread at the time.No guarantee against lens breakage but some protection that may help.

http://www.lamin-x.com/Lexus-RX-10-F...ers-p/l116.htm

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-16-11 at 05:15 AM.
Old 01-16-11, 10:14 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
There was a previous thread about someone shattering a lens and the hassle of gaining access to it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...shattered.html

My wife came out of the grocery store last week and found the drivers side fog lens shattered on her two month old RX350. No idea how it happened other than an errant rock, which seems odd since we live in rural area and there aren't that many vehicles throwing rocks around. Anyway I did not have the time or inclination to fool around with it so she took it in to the dealer. I had previously checked on SewellParts.com and the CL member price is $118.83 + shipping, so somewhere around $130. I decided not to order it hoping they might comp her for the repair since it was a new vehicle (NOT!). Total replacement cost was $128 for labor, and $187 for the fog light assembly for a grand total of $331 incl sales tax. This is NOT a cheap repair and I'm not sure why the trend is to put glass lenses on these fog lights, it is asking for trouble, imo. I've ordered some Lamin-X film covers ($18) which may offer some protection from further damage. Just be careful as it is not a cheap repair as you can't just replace the lens. To me it is a poor design with difficult access and inability to replace the lens only. I had received a $500 gift card from Lexus last month as a goodwill gesture for the valve spring recall on my 2006 IS350 so I used it to pay for the repair......it goes in one pocket and out the other!

Upside was they turned off the damn ding dong on the seat belt alarm, so that annoyance is over. We always wear seat belts but rolling up to a stop to let someone out, or driving up a long driveway after getting the mail we we constantly annoyed by the granny alarm.
They are a good 20ml thick and easy to put on. I put mine in optic blue on nearly a year ago and no issues at all. Plus the optic blue brings the fogs closer to the HID's in color temp.
Old 01-16-11, 11:28 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cruiter
They are a good 20ml thick and easy to put on. I put mine in optic blue on nearly a year ago and no issues at all. Plus the optic blue brings the fogs closer to the HID's in color temp.
I just put them on this morning in the optic blue as well. The vinyl is thick so hopefully they might add a bit of protection to the lens. No cutting or trimming is needed as there is enough space between the lens and the body colored surround trim piece that any excess can just be tucked into the space with plenty of clearance still available. Took about 20 minutes total and it does tone down the chromy aspect of the stock lens. I'd recommend using the Lamin-X films for the RX.
Old 01-16-11, 03:58 PM
papaalex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got mine too, man all this mods is getting to be an addiction
Guys pls stop posting anymore modifications pls
Old 01-16-11, 04:24 PM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by papaalex
You're just behind the curve . I put my Laminix on almost a year ago. I haven't done anything since and I think it was probably the most useful of all.
Old 01-18-11, 10:01 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by papaalex
welcome to the dark side!
Old 01-21-11, 07:03 AM
BlueSurf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the Lamin-x for my fogs. Can anyone tell me how to fit it on. They seem to be bigger than the lens. Does the chrome bezel have to come off? If so how do you remove the bezel correctly?
Thanks for any experienced advice.

Last edited by BlueSurf; 01-21-11 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-21-11, 08:29 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueSurf
I purchased the Lamin-x for my fogs. Can anyone tell me how to fit it on. They seem to be bigger than the lens. Does the chrome bezel have to come off? If so how do you remove the bezel correctly?
On my 350 the plastic piece around the fogs can be popped off.
Don't know if that can be done with the hybrid.If not you may have to stick them on and trim with a exacto blade or something similar.
Old 01-21-11, 08:33 AM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by BlueSurf
Like Joeb said, I just centered mine on the lens and trimmed with an exacto knife. Wasn't hard at all, and just pull off the excess. Just make sure you clean the lens 1st.
Old 01-21-11, 07:58 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Clean the lens and then start on one side and start applying the film. It is bigger than the lens opening but there was a gap between the lens and the plastic surround piece and I just used a credit card and wooden bbq skewer and worked the film so it flipped behind the surround piece. Never had to cut or trim anything. Looks perfect.
Old 05-17-11, 09:05 AM
alanbussey
Driver School Candidate

how do you remove the panel surrounding the fog light??
Old 04-20-12, 09:34 PM
cruiser
Driver School Candidate

Can anybody post some pics to see how the Optic blue looks like on the RX. The web says 12ml thick.
Old 04-21-12, 03:34 AM
smehta
Driver School Candidate

Cruiser - I installed the Lamin-X film covers ($18) in Optic Blue on my new RX350 - 1 yr ago. I do a lot of HWY driving. So far, no broken fog light lens. I will take a photo and post later today, once sun comes up :-)
Old 04-21-12, 12:04 PM
cruiser
Driver School Candidate

No sun yet? Curious to see how the blue looks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Protect those fog lights $!$!$!