RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

$350 for 15K Service???!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-11, 04:48 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

My (h) continues to be a bargain own an operate. I just had the 25k done and it was a cool $40 bucks all together. Maybe my 30 k will be $50 bucks . Or quite a bit more but still a bargain as they don't try to kill you after the sale here.

More good news is even they predict my Michelin Latitudes will give between 35 and 40k of service. And they handle great as well.
Old 06-16-11, 04:05 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are a long way from requiring a 15,000 mile service as our new RX has less than 1000 miles thus far. However after reading this thread, I thought that I would check our dealer's website just for the heck of it. A 15,000 service at either dealer here in Pittsburgh (both owned by the same company) is listed at $249.00 with a note that states that vehicles that require synthetic oil will be higher. This is the one thing that I HATE about Lexus and that is being ripped off at the service counter.
Old 06-16-11, 07:23 PM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by cafpaf
We are a long way from requiring a 15,000 mile service as our new RX has less than 1000 miles thus far. However after reading this thread, I thought that I would check our dealer's website just for the heck of it. A 15,000 service at either dealer here in Pittsburgh (both owned by the same company) is listed at $249.00 with a note that states that vehicles that require synthetic oil will be higher. This is the one thing that I HATE about Lexus and that is being ripped off at the service counter.
Check your books maintenance requirements and tell your service dept to do that and ONLY that. As your oil gets changed at 10K, you shouldn't need one at 15k. Mostly a lookover and tire rotation.
Old 06-20-11, 05:33 PM
surferbum
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Check your books maintenance requirements and tell your service dept to do that and ONLY that. As your oil gets changed at 10K, you shouldn't need one at 15k. Mostly a lookover and tire rotation.
I normally do my own minor services so I searched around the ClubLexus website and found scattered pieces of info. about the 15K service. Is there a 2010 RX 350 15K do it yourself thread which I missed?

The car is my wife's and the dealer did the service (inc. the 10K service). She is currently on a road trip and the car will likely have around 18K on the odometer. Plan do do the oil change and was surprised by the unusual oil filter arrangement. Am used to screwing off the old one and screwing on a new one. Not replacing an internal filter element.

Here's what I have gathered needs to be done:
  1. rotate the tires (go to America's Tires for free rotation)
  2. Change the oil with 7 quarts (?) of Mobil 1 96995 Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil
  3. Replace oil filter element (will use) Wix 57047 Cartridge Metal Free Lube Filter
  4. replace cabin air filter (will use) FRAM CF10285 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter
  5. replace key fob battery (will use) Energizer CR1632 Button Cell Lithium Watch Battery
  6. replace engine air filter (will use) K&N 33-2443 Replacement Air Filter for 2010 Lexus RX350 3.5L V6 (I am not wed to a K&N - Do people have a strong opinion?)
  7. inspect other fluid levels

Did I miss anything?

Do I need one of these Assenmacher Specialty Tools TOY 640 Oil Filter Housing Cup Wrench for Toyota/Lexus?

I know others have mentioned various alternatives to each of the above items, but I've decided on these unless I hear otherwise.

Last edited by surferbum; 06-20-11 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-20-11, 06:54 PM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by surferbum
I normally do my own minor services so I searched around the ClubLexus website and found scattered pieces of info. about the 15K service. Is there a 2010 RX 350 15K do it yourself thread which I missed?

The car is my wife's and the dealer did the service (inc. the 10K service). She is currently on a road trip and the car will likely have around 18K on the odometer. Plan do do the oil change and was surprised by the unusual oil filter arrangement. Am used to screwing off the old one and screwing on a new one. Not replacing an internal filter element.

3. Replace oil filter element (will use) Wix 57047 Cartridge Metal Free Lube Filter
  4. replace cabin air filter (will use) FRAM CF10285 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter
  5. replace key fob battery (will use) Energizer CR1632 Button Cell Lithium Watch Battery
  6. replace engine air filter (will use) K&N 33-2443 Replacement Air Filter for 2010 Lexus RX350 3.5L V6 (I am not wed to a K&N - Do people have a strong opinion?)

Did I miss anything?

Do I need one of these Assenmacher Specialty Tools TOY 640 Oil Filter Housing Cup Wrench for Toyota/Lexus?

I know others have mentioned various alternatives to each of the above items, but I've decided on these unless I hear otherwise.
My book is in the car so I'm not armed with what it say's but if your oil was changed at 10k (it should have been) and you don't operate it in unusual ways you shouldn't need an oil change till 20k.

You can order your cabin air filter from Sewell for about $17 bucks and you can get a key battery from the drug store (both of which are easy for owners to install). I did and have it here somewhere but after 25k I'm still on my original. If your handy with your hands you can change the engine air filter as well but I do leave that to them. Too many pop off's on the under hood panels, I had them off once and just don't want to mess with them again unless necessary. But if you do just what the 'revised' service schedule (which calls for oil & filter at 10k intervals) requires you can really cut back on the expense.

Or just walk into your service adviser's office, hand him you master card and say "Do the 15k, I'll be in the waiting room". Priceless
Old 06-20-11, 09:20 PM
surferbum
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up follow your lead

My book is in the car so I'm not armed with what it say's but if your oil was changed at 10k (it should have been) and you don't operate it in unusual ways you shouldn't need an oil change till 20k.
Here's the Lexus normal driving conditions 15K:

Rotate tires and adjust tire pressures as required
Replace smart key battery
Clean air conditioner filter
Re-torque nuts and bolts of drive shaft
Reset maintenance reminder light
Road test vehicle
Check installation of driver's floor mat
Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
Inspect axle shaft boots
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
Inspect body
Inspect brake lines and hoses
Inspect engine coolant
Inspect exhaust pipes and mounting
Inspect rack and pinion steering assembly
Inspect rear differential oil
Inspect steering linkage and boots
Inspect transfer case
Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors

I will follow your lead and just have the tires rotated, replace the battery and reset the service indicator. Although I consider myself handy at cars, I don't plan on re-torquing the drive shaft bolts. The other inspections I can handle.

I find it interesting that they clean the air filter rather then replace. Must be looking for some dead leaves. Plus every 5K service always says check the floor mats (I wonder why ).

The 20K (with oil change and tire rotation) and 25K are minor looks to be just like the 10K and 15K respectively.
Old 06-21-11, 05:36 AM
Cruiter

Road test vehicle
Inspect axle shaft boots
Inspect body
Inspect engine coolant
Inspect transfer case

I will follow your lead and just have the tires rotated, replace the battery and reset the service indicator. Although I consider myself handy at cars, I don't plan on re-torquing the drive shaft bolts. The other inspections I can handle.

I find it interesting that they clean the air filter rather then replace. Must be looking for some dead leaves. Plus every 5K service always says check the floor mats (I wonder why ).

The 20K (with oil change and tire rotation) and 25K are minor looks to be just like the 10K and 15K respectively.
That's pretty much the same as my 25k. I actually watched it from the large windows at our dealers service dept. You could watch them torque everything down and even measure the disk wear and tire tread.

When I changed my own air filter, it wasn't as dirty (nasty grey) as some in the past but did have a few bugs and leaf debris on it. I'm supposing it wasn't as nasty due to the 'auto' on/off recirc/fresh air system if it detects particles in the fresh air supply it automatically switches to recirculation. If that's correct, it's a good indicator of things working right.
Old 06-21-11, 03:08 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Or just walk into your service adviser's office, hand him you master card and say "Do the 15k, I'll be in the waiting room". Priceless
I usually don't wait. I hop in the loaner and go shopping for detailing supplies, go to a movie, or go to lunch 'cuz I hate working on anything under the hood of a car. Or wherever it is you change filters....

Hand me a buffer, I'll go for hours.
Old 06-21-11, 05:36 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

So David only likes to polish the bonnet, not work underneath it

I admit, I'm the same way. I used to work on my cars but I stopped when I got my first RX. Now I enjoy taking it to the dealer for service. At least it's for maintenance only. Twice a year, that's it. I'll do the simple stuff but leave the big stuff for the techs.

I'm heading down Saturday for the 15K service. I can't imagine it'll take that long. My SA will probably shove keys to a loaner in my hand without asking for it. Or maybe I'll stick around and pester my sales guy or the parts guys. Whatever. I have fun.
Old 06-25-11, 08:21 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Anita, please let us know what they did and what you had to pay. Thanks!
Old 06-25-11, 08:49 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Well, it looks like I'll have to wait a few more months. My SA was on vacation so another SA helped me. He didn't push the 15K service since I have 11K. He recommended minor service and tire rotation only. I had them do the A/C cleaning with the kit I got from Sewell. The air coming out of the vents now smells like window cleaner. Not too strong though. Everything checked out fine. Total bill was less than $100.
Old 06-26-11, 08:24 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Anita, thanks for the update.
Old 06-26-11, 12:52 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I believe it's 6.8 with the filter, not too sure.
    good choice, WIX filters are really nice
    I usually replace the cabin filter every 16,000. They get pretty dirty, but it really depends on where you drive. Just take a look at it before you decide to buy a new one
    This is really not necessary, especially at 18k. Mine lasted two years before it needed replacement, and the car will tell you if the battery is low.
    Too soon, the engine filter is good for 25-30k, but of course it won't hurt. K&N filters can be cleaned, so it's a nice investment over the long run. I prefer to just replace them with the paper type.
    With the addition of electric power steering, there is only the coolant and brake fluid to check.

Did I miss anything?

Yes you do, you will also need a 23mm socket(for the tool) and a socket wrench.

Road test vehicle
Inspect axle shaft boots
Inspect body
Inspect engine coolant
Inspect transfer case

All of these services are really up to the owner. You can wait till 10k miles to change the oil, but it gets pretty dirty at around 8k. So you can change the oil at 18k, it won't hurt. The battery will last you a lot longer, but replacing it won't hurt either. Air filters - same deal, you can do a visual inspection just to make sure.
Old 08-19-11, 06:11 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Ok, had my RX serviced today.

Here are the prices:

120$ for the labor for VIP (glass break sensor) installation. I provided the part as I bought it @ Sewell.

20$ for oil change labor, 101.95$ for the rest: 7 qrts 0w20, gasket (90430-12031), replaceable element (04152-YZZA1)

This is during the 5k miles. I just had the oil changed for a cleaner lube after the break-in period.

Now I looked at the prices for these parts and they totalled less than 60$. I guess the 40$ is for the loaner. After the 10k, I'll do my oil change from there.
Old 08-20-11, 10:01 AM
edbarrows
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting site at Edmunds.com for what it should cost for each maintenance.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/guide-page.html Now at least we know how much the dealer is adding to the price for each service.

Quick Reply: $350 for 15K Service???!!