RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2011 Lexus RX350 vs. 2011 BMW X5 - thoughts and impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-11, 05:47 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Sandi, doesn't look like Lexus offers the sport package anymore. They're SOL.

How are you liking yours?
Old 02-19-11, 10:21 AM
Mkml63
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being a bimmerphile since I was a wee lad and owner of a track modified E36 M3, I drove every higher end SUV,CUV on the market and settled on the RX 450h. I was coming out of an ML 63 AMG, awesome performer, almost invincible on the road but boy did it beat me up with a harsh ride in comfort mode, and suck down the premium.
I drove the cayenne turbo, X5M, FX 50, XC 60, no Audi, they just didn't perk my interest.
All great vehicles, but all compromised like the ML. You really cannot use all the performance offered by these vehicles safely on the open road and I haven't seen any track that allows an SUV on the track, believe me, I asked :P
Most of the days I just need to get where I need to be and still have a little performance under the belt in time of need, aside from a bit much body roll, the RX is the winner. It gets me to my destination in comfort, besides a rattle in the dash that I addressed elsewhere,with decent speed and economy
Old 02-20-11, 05:58 AM
Mkml63
Rookie

Originally Posted by The X Men
I must disagree, Lexus is as extreme as your AMG, except in the opposite direction. If you look up and down the list of brands you listed. AMG, Cayenne and the X5 are at the performance extreme and with that comes with a rougher ride. Lexus is at the comfort extreme, and that means it will have a softer suspension. The XC60 and the Audi Q5 or Q7 are actually compromises between the two and they provide both comfort and performance, but not as good in both areas like the extreme SUVs. If you never own a newer Audi, you dont know what you are missing.
What are you disagreeing to? Just the fact that audi's don't do it for me?
Old 02-21-11, 06:58 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Sandi, doesn't look like Lexus offers the sport package anymore. They're SOL.

How are you liking yours?
Holy cow! I have an elite model??!!

I like it a lot. Although at this time of year, when the potholes get washed out and deep, it's a little jarring. But it more than makes up for it with the control and precision in accelerating through curves.

Sandi
Old 02-21-11, 07:12 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Sandi, our RXs may be super special Makes that 5 month wait worth it, huh? And it's funny the girls got the RXs with the sport tuned suspension instead of the guys. Oh, can't forget Johnny. He has it too.

Same here with the potholes. They're turning into craters. I changed my route to avoid them and for the longer stretches of driving and turns. I wish I could drive a non-sport RX to see the difference. I can't comment about the other vehicles they're talking about here. I'm very happy with my RX, obviously you're very happy with yours.

Now back to the discussion. It's getting interesting between X and Mkml
Old 02-21-11, 07:29 PM
Mkml63
Rookie

Sandi, our RXs may be super special Makes that 5 month wait worth it, huh? And it's funny the girls got the RXs with the sport tuned suspension instead of the guys. Oh, can't forget Johnny. He has it too.

Same here with the potholes. They're turning into craters. I changed my route to avoid them and for the longer stretches of driving and turns. I wish I could drive a non-sport RX to see the difference. I can't comment about the other vehicles they're talking about here. I'm very happy with my RX, obviously you're very happy with yours.

Now back to the discussion. It's getting interesting between X and Mkml
I would've gotten the sport package if it were available!
I'm getting used to the roll, just warn my passengers to brace before I take a spirited turn
What's so interesting? I just don't like audi's much, drove them in high performance events, brother has an RS4. I don't like going down the roads with my mouth open, did it riding a bike when I was a kid, bugs dont taste good
In other words, the grills on the audi's are WAY to big for me
Old 02-22-11, 07:05 AM
Mkml63
Rookie

You two fast ladies are troublemakers
I second that!
Old 02-22-11, 09:32 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Who said anything about being fast here? I really don't think the sport package is all about that. Look at the list - sport-tuned suspension, 19" wheels with a special finish, and being able to turn off VDIM (450h). That's it. Now I can't speak for Sandi. For me, I got my 450h with SP because I liked the tighter steering feel. The suspension may be more jarring than you like. Speed? I'm driving a hybrid!

You guys crack me up
Old 02-22-11, 11:27 AM
Mkml63
Rookie

The suspension may be more jarring than you like. Speed? I'm driving a hybrid!

I don't think the RX with the sport suspension could be rough, doubt any Lexus besides the ISF and LFA could be rough. The 450 is not slow by any means. I'm hitting 90 easily and by accident to boot
Old 02-22-11, 12:16 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Kitlz, I think the tighter steering is on the non-sport package RXh as well, we test drove the RX350 and the steering was notably lighter. As far as the fast ladies comment, I didnt mean anything by it, just trying to lighten up your day with some laughter that all
X, I drove a 350 with the sport package and a 450h without it. The tightness was different from my recollection.

And I know you guys are teasing just like we're busting
Old 02-22-11, 12:23 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by Mkml63
The suspension may be more jarring than you like. Speed? I'm driving a hybrid!

I don't think the RX with the sport suspension could be rough, doubt any Lexus besides the ISF and LFA could be rough. The 450 is not slow by any means. I'm hitting 90 easily and by accident to boot
Might want to check with Sandi about the suspension. It's fine for me. And I'm not saying the 450h is a slug. It's easy to get carried away while enjoying the ride. Good thing I have HUD and the eco light to remind me

Edit: Found another thread with Sandi's comments. Check #10.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...on-w-vdim.html

Last edited by kitlz; 02-22-11 at 12:34 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 02-22-11, 12:55 PM
Mkml63
Rookie

Might want to check with Sandi about the suspension. It's fine for me. And I'm not saying the 450h is a slug. It's easy to get carried away while enjoying the ride. Good thing I have HUD and the eco light to remind me

Seems like Sandy is happy with the sport suspension. I drove a 350 loaner for 2 days while the dealer was trying to fix the rattle, unsuccessfully, the steering in the 350 was looser and more vague. In fact, the 450 was superior in every way.
Old 02-27-11, 08:39 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for digging that up, Anita. I'd stand by those comments still.

It's definitely most noticeable in terms of body roll around corners. The sport suspension shines there - you point the car where you want it to go, and it corners like it's on rails. Very nice!

However, it most definitely is harsher and more jarring on bad roads.

If and when it's time to replace the tires, I may go for a wider profile, just to smooth it out a little bit more - since my spinal fusion and Dave's spinal surgery, we're a couple of bad-road-hatin' wimps....

Sandi
Old 12-08-11, 05:04 PM
jgjhhi
Driver School Candidate

Default 2012 rx 350

Just made the change from our 2008 X5 to Lexus RX 350. Loved the X5 at first (3 years ago) but had to get use to the uncomfortable hard, rugid ride and noise. I will say though it was fun to ride. After our fuel pump died (while traveling on I95 in Florida over Thanksgiving there was NO POWER and we were lucky to at least make it over to the median. the EMERGENCY BMW ASSIST was a joke!! We ended up being towed 130 miles to our final destination. Dealership in West Palm took car of the repais but were totally arrogant people (sorry but.. typical Florida). Got back home and decided that with just under 60,000 miles we might be in for more MAJOR repairs. WOuld have possibly considered a new X5 but not with a price tag of $60,000+. Went back to Lexus (had a 2005 GX470 before the BMW) and loved the new and a bit bigger RX. Forgot how wonderful and plush Lexus is and the quiet and smoothness of the ride. The leather seats are so much more comfortable than the X5 and the new technology is great. The backup camera is an actual camera that you can see in day and night (back up camera in X5 is a joke). Lexus definitely has the edge if you travel quite a bit on drives of 200+ miles. Would much rather be COMFORTABLE and dont even feel like we have given up performance!!!! Also glad to have my WOOD sterring wheel back!!!
If BMW upgrades the X5 and makes its interior a bit more comfortable would not rule it out in the future but the price tag might be too stiff!!
Old 12-08-11, 06:22 PM
TampaOwner
Driver

theres no reason to spend more for a BMW. people that do overpay are doing so for the emblem on the hood, but there is not reputation behind the brand other than hith maintenance costs and reliability issua. therws a reason why Lexus dinishes first at the top of Consumer Reports every year. EVERY year.

Quick Reply: 2011 Lexus RX350 vs. 2011 BMW X5 - thoughts and impressions