RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX 450h Paint Horror Story - Please Advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-10, 11:16 AM
ajaxahi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 450h Paint Horror Story - Please Advise

Hi, I'm new to these forums and need advice and what to do about a body/paint job gone wrong. My RX 450h got a dent in the rear door when parked (don't know how or where). The first shop I took it to really botched the job. Good bodywork, but paint horrible... fish eyes everywhere, lots of other imperfections, and turns out they had painted all the entire rear quarter panel, rear door, and front door. There was an obvious color difference between the front door and the front fender. They told me they had to use a lacquer based paint (which I thought was illegal in CA) after their first try with water base was unsuccessful. AND there were sanding marks all over most of the window chrome, as if they hadn't even removed it before painting. AND when they detailed the car the left horrible swirl marks everywhere where there were not before.

I got them to pay for the repairs at another shop. The new shop, which I checked out more carefully and is very reputable, said the paint thickness was off the charts and recommended replacing the bondo'd rear door with a new skin. They stripped everything the first shop had done down to almost bare metal, and basically repainted the entire passenger side, blending into the front fender now, and replacing all the chrome window trim the first shop had ruined. They also managed to remove much (but not all) of the swirl marks. The body work and the paint job seem good but now I notice a color discrepancy between the rear door and adjacent panels. The rear door seems like a different, deeper shade of black. (See the attached photos - sorry the car was a bit dirty when these were taken.) The shop told me it was the exact same batch of paint used on all panels, shot the same day. My theory is because they painted the rear door off the car, the paint went on differently. Another possibility might be the clear coat is a different thickness on the rear door? I have no idea. They are saying they notice no color discrepancy, but since this is a high-end shop, they will do a repaint if I want. So what should I do? Do you see the color discrepancy I see? My wife wants this nightmare to be over and I'm leery about taking it back for fear something new will go wrong, but every time I look at the car I see this color issue and it really bums me out.
Attached Thumbnails RX 450h Paint Horror Story - Please Advise-110510-007.jpg  
Old 11-07-10, 11:25 AM
ajaxahi
Driver School Candidate

Default Here's another photo

See photo below...
Attached Thumbnails RX 450h Paint Horror Story - Please Advise-110510-006.jpg  
Old 11-07-10, 11:32 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

too bad you do not have Service King in CA.

http://www.serviceking.com/locations/

Established 1976 - Texas Family Owned & Operated.

For 34 years, we've performed quality collision repairs while offering an outstanding customer experience with the goal of absolute perfection. We take pride in our work and back it up with a WRITTEN LIFETIME WARRANTY. All of our auto body technicians and painters are certified by the highest collision repair governing body in the industry, I-CAR.

Experience the Service King difference. Streamlined, easy and hassle free. We take care of everything from working directly with your insurance company to arranging ON-SITE rental cars. We want to fix your car.
I have used their services before and while they do botch it up, they are also eager to fix any genuine concerns without any sleazy underhand work.
Old 11-07-10, 11:39 AM
ajaxahi
Driver School Candidate

Default RX 450h Paint Horror Story - Please Advise

Hi, I'm new to these forums and need advice and what to do about a body/paint job gone wrong. My RX 450h got a dent in the rear door when parked (don't know how or where). The first shop I took it to really botched the job. Good bodywork, but paint horrible... fish eyes everywhere, lots of other imperfections, and turns out they had painted all the entire rear quarter panel, rear door, and front door. There was an obvious color difference between the front door and the front fender. They told me they had to use a lacquer based paint (which I thought was illegal in CA) after their first try with water base was unsuccessful. AND there were sanding marks all over most of the window chrome, as if they hadn't even removed it before painting. AND when they detailed the car the left horrible swirl marks everywhere where there were not before.

I got them to pay for the repairs at another shop. The new shop, which I checked out more carefully and is very reputable, said the paint thickness was off the charts and recommended replacing the bondo'd rear door with a new skin. They stripped everything the first shop had done down to almost bare metal, and basically repainted the entire passenger side, blending into the front fender now, and replacing all the chrome window trim the first shop had ruined. They also managed to remove much (but not all) of the swirl marks. The body work and the paint job seem good but now I notice a color discrepancy between the rear door and adjacent panels. The rear door seems like a different, deeper shade of black. (See the attached photos - sorry the car was a bit dirty when these were taken.) The shop told me it was the exact same batch of paint used on all panels, shot the same day. My theory is because they painted the rear door off the car, the paint went on differently. Another possibility might be the clear coat is a different thickness on the rear door? I have no idea. They are saying they notice no color discrepancy, but since this is a high-end shop, they will do a repaint if I want. So what should I do? Do you see the color discrepancy I see? My wife wants this nightmare to be over and I'm leery about taking it back for fear something new will go wrong, but every time I look at the car I see this color issue and it really bums me out.
Attached Thumbnails RX 450h Paint Horror Story - Please Advise-110510-006.jpg   RX 450h Paint Horror Story - Please Advise-110510-007.jpg  
Old 11-07-10, 11:45 AM
tkman00
Driver

^^^ is it a color difference, or are the rear panels polished, and the front isn't?
Old 11-07-10, 12:02 PM
ajaxahi
Driver School Candidate

All panels have been polished. But you are right - that's what it seems like - the front door and front fender look a bit hazy, have like a brownish or grayish tint to them, whereas the rear door color looks richer black and actually matches better to the original Obsidian color. This is why it seems like it could be a clear coat issue, and that gives me hope. Because I want to avoid a repaint if I can. The weird thing is after the first shop botched up their job, there was a similar, though more pronounced, color difference between the panels they had painted and the untouched panels. Here's a photo of the car after the FIRST shop had a crack at it... Note the difference between the front door (which they painted) and the front fender (original paint)...
Attached Thumbnails RX 450h Paint Horror Story - Please Advise-092910-028.jpg  
Old 11-07-10, 12:25 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

If you run your hand down the side of the car can you feel a diffidence between the old and new ? Could it be over spray on the front end of the car?
Old 11-07-10, 01:04 PM
ajaxahi
Driver School Candidate

I don't think it's overspray. All panels were painted (rear quarter, rear door, front door, front fender) by the second shop on the same day. Only wrinkle was they did the job with the rear door off the vehicle. I don't know if that makes a difference in final product. There is no detectable difference in texture.

One more piece of info that may be useful... the color difference is almost completely undetectable on a cloudy day, or indirect sunlight. It is only when the sun is behind you that the difference is very apparent.

But am I right that so far you guys notice the difference in color b/t the front door and rear door? The shop owner says he doesn't notice, but that's what I would expect him to say. For me it's pretty obvious in this light, especially the first picture above.
Old 11-07-10, 01:30 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by ajaxahi
Lacquer based paint on a modern car?? Did they give you a coloring book so you could try to paint by numbers, too? Ridiculous. I'd ask them if they use House of Krylon instead of House of Kolor.

Originally Posted by ajaxahi
I do not see a huge color difference. It may need to be polished and buffed. It may be the picture, but you need a more neutral background for the pictures, too. Any tone changes in the background will throw off the view of the picture.

Originally Posted by chikoo
too bad you do not have S****** K*** in CA.
I have used their services before and while they do botch it up, they are also eager to fix any genuine concerns without any sleazy underhand work.
Do you work for this company or something? The first company botched it, but is paying for him to get it fixed by someone who knows what they are doing. The second shop said that they would do a repaint for him since he's not happy. Doesn't sound sleazy or underhanded. Maybe a bit negligent on the part of the first one, but it sounds like they are at least trying to make it right.

Big Mack
Old 11-07-10, 02:39 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see holograms. Where are you located? I can give it a look and give you my opinion or send you to someone to check it out who I trust. Then they can go to the shop and chew them out for inadequate polishing

Things like this are easier to see in person rather than in pictures
Old 11-07-10, 02:40 PM
tkman00
Driver

so there are two things here. speaking as a wannabe photographer and trying my hand at detailing a few years ago, it looks like there is some defect failure in the clearcoat. unfortunately teh internet should not be your best judge of that. while direct sunlight is the best to examine this kind of stuff, it's the hardest light to take a picture in.

you best option is to have the shop examine it in the same light as you and point out the differences you see. barring that, you can work w/ a reputable detailer in your area and have them help you out w/ what's wrong. gl.
Old 11-07-10, 03:37 PM
ajaxahi
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate the reply. I already pointed out the defect to the body shop. They claimed to not see the color difference between the panels though to me it's obvious. They are being reasonable by offering a repaint, but I'm hoping the solution is something less drastic than total a do-over. You are right about internet photos, but at least on my computer monitor, these photos do justice to the problem as I see it in person.
Old 11-07-10, 04:29 PM
ajaxahi
Driver School Candidate

Default New Paint Mismatch - Opinions?

Hi, just got the passenger side of my 2010 RX 450h repainted. Long story. Unfortunately, I think the color on the panels is mismatched. I am interested to know if you agree or not.

To me it looks like the rear door is a darker, richer shade of black (obsidian), and the front door, and to a lesser extent, the rear quarter panel, is a shade lighter, kind of cloudy, with almost a brownish or grayish tint. I know these pictures aren't the best, plus the car is dirty, but can you tell me what you think? Thanks for your opinions!

P.S. Don't know why this is... the shop said they used the exact same paint on all panels. Would painting the rear door off the car (because they took it off to replace the door skin) make a difference? Or maybe a clear coat issue.
Attached Thumbnails RX 450h Paint Horror Story - Please Advise-110510-006.jpg   RX 450h Paint Horror Story - Please Advise-110510-007.jpg  
Old 11-07-10, 04:31 PM
ajaxahi
Driver School Candidate

Default New Paint Mismatch - Opinions?

Hi, just got the passenger side of my 2010 RX 450h repainted. Long story. Unfortunately, I think the color on the panels is mismatched. I am interested to know if you agree or not.

To me it looks like the rear door is a darker, richer shade of black (obsidian), and the front door, and to a lesser extent, the rear quarter panel, is a shade lighter, kind of cloudy, with almost a brownish or grayish tint. I know these pictures aren't the best, plus the car is dirty, but can you tell me what you think? Thanks for your opinions!

P.S. Don't know why this is... the shop said they used the exact same paint on all panels. Would painting the rear door off the car (because they took it off to replace the door skin) make a difference? Or maybe a clear coat issue.
Old 11-07-10, 04:33 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does your local Lexus dealer have a body shop? Might be time to bite the bullet and let them handle it.

Quick Reply: RX 450h Paint Horror Story - Please Advise