RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Fog light lens....shattered

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-10, 02:19 PM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Joeb & Cruiter, Personally I like the light blue with the 450H. Matches up well with the Lexus Hybrid badge. Here's a few pictures:

lar
Attached Thumbnails Fog light lens....shattered-blue-laminate-over-fog-and-headlights-i.jpg   Fog light lens....shattered-rh-blue-laminate-lens-i.jpg   Fog light lens....shattered-lh-blue-lamainate-i.jpg  

Last edited by 1NEAT_SC; 07-23-10 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-23-10, 04:20 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1NEAT_SC
Thanks Joeb & Cruiter, Personally I like the light blue with the 450H. Matches up well with the Lexus Hybrid badge. Here's a few pictures:

lar
Nice,lar.
Without the headlights in blue,the blue fogs wouldn't look good,IMO.
The blue headlights may be illegal in my state.Though,cops probably wouldn't hassle anyone.
Old 07-23-10, 04:55 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Joeb, I asked if I could have the same material as the clear bra put on the headlights but was told it's a no-no. I wonder how you could tell if it's clear. I might do it anyway.

New fog, DRLs and parking lights were installed today. I'll try to post pictures sometime this weekend. It's impossible to get to the fogs from the top in the 450h. But the covers underneath and the forward section of wheel well cover can be removed/moved to get in there. Driver side is tricky if you have the trans cooler. I'd like to test them out tonight but there's a tornado watch in effect. Geez, I'm not in Kansas.
Old 07-23-10, 04:57 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

lar
Lar, very nice especially with the LEDs
Old 07-23-10, 05:08 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kitlz
Joeb, I asked if I could have the same material as the clear bra put on the headlights but was told it's a no-no. I wonder how you could tell if it's clear. I might do it anyway.

New fog, DRLs and parking lights were installed today. I'll try to post pictures sometime this weekend. It's impossible to get to the fogs from the top in the 450h. But the covers underneath and the forward section of wheel well cover can be removed/moved to get in there. Driver side is tricky if you have the trans cooler. I'd like to test them out tonight but there's a tornado watch in effect. Geez, I'm not in Kansas.
I had a clear bra with the headlights done and never worried about it.It was on a starfire pearl '08 GS350 AWD I had.I hated the clear bra.
The edge lines were hard to keep clean on white.Especially in winter.My installer of the Ventureshield said it will yellow eventually no matter what anybody says.On white it will show more than other colors.
I would never get a clear bra on white or other light color.

Did you do the parking lights in LEDs?What bulb for the DRLs?
I'm going with LED puddles and parking lights.Hoen yellow bulbs in the fogs.
Old 07-23-10, 06:01 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I had a clear bra with the headlights done and never worried about it.It was on a starfire pearl '08 GS350 AWD I had.I hated the clear bra.
The edge lines were hard to keep clean on white.Especially in winter.My installer of the Ventureshield said it will yellow eventually no matter what anybody says.On white it will show more than other colors.
I would never get a clear bra on white or other light color.

Did you do the parking lights in LEDs?What bulb for the DRLs?
I'm going with LED puddles and parking lights.Hoen yellow bulbs in the fogs.
I have full hood on my Tungsten Pearl. No lines for me. Dealer gave me lifetime so if I have issues they'll take care of it.

Yes, I did go with the LED parking lights. Very subtle but nice. The DRLs are super brights. They are also the high beams for the LEDs. Fogs are 6K. Funny you mention getting yellow fogs. I changed everything out because they were yellow.
Old 07-23-10, 06:08 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I have full hood on my Tungsten Pearl. No lines for me. Dealer gave me lifetime so if I have issues they'll take care of it.

Yes, I did go with the LED parking lights. Very subtle but nice. The DRLs are super brights. They are also the high beams for the LEDs. Fogs are 6K. Funny you mention getting yellow fogs. I changed everything out because they were yellow.
For some reason I thought you had starfire.Now I remember tungsten.
The whole hood and tungsten is better.How about the front side fenders?

Drls bulb brand?
I don't use my fogs for the look.I actually only use them for rain,fog and snow so I went with the bright yellow bulbs.
Are you going to do the puddles in LED?
Old 07-23-10, 06:29 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

lar
haha.. red + blue reminds me of the Kamen Rider Kabuto. lol
Old 07-23-10, 06:37 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

For some reason I thought you had starfire.Now I remember tungsten.
The whole hood and tungsten is better.How about the front side fenders?

Drls bulb brand?
I don't use my fogs for the look.I actually only use them for rain,fog and snow so I went with the bright yellow bulbs.
Are you going to do the puddles in LED?
Yes, we're twins, almost

Clear bra is full hood, bumper, front side fenders, side view mirrors and A-pillar. It was expensive but I've had RXs long enough to know what damage can be done.

Not sure which brand the installer used for the DRLs. He had to switch them out a few times because he thought they didn't work. The bulb is blue, perfect for the hybrid. The old ones had lots of oxidation. I have to use the fogs if I want to see the road. The LED headlights are pretty weak without them.

Interior lights are next and maybe the puddle lamps, all in LED. I'm just hesitant about pulling out the mirror. It looks scary.
Old 07-23-10, 06:45 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, we're twins, almost

Clear bra is full hood, bumper, front side fenders, side view mirrors and A-pillar. It was expensive but I've had RXs long enough to know what damage can be done.

Not sure which brand the installer used for the DRLs. He had to switch them out a few times because he thought they didn't work. The bulb is blue, perfect for the hybrid. The old ones had lots of oxidation. I have to use the fogs if I want to see the road. The LED headlights are pretty weak without them.

Interior lights are next and maybe the puddle lamps, all in LED. I'm just hesitant about pulling out the mirror. It looks scary.

Nice!A lot of protection.I knew a guy who also had his back bumpercover done in case he gets tapped.

I was thinking about going LED in the interior but the stock yellow are more sootheing.I've read that there are some softer bright LEDS but I don't believe LEDs fade out.
I'm having a friend who works in a bodyshop do the puddles and fog light bulbs..
Old 07-23-10, 07:33 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice!A lot of protection.I knew a guy who also had his back bumpercover done in case he gets tapped.

I was thinking about going LED in the interior but the stock yellow are more sootheing.I've read that there are some softer bright LEDS but I don't believe LEDs fade out.
I'm having a friend who works in a bodyshop do the puddles and fog light bulbs..
I think I'm leaving everything else stock now, I like the softer interior light.

Lar
Your car looks super dude. Did you have any problems or was it as easy as I said ???

In playing around with the fogs last week I was paying a lot of attention to something odd that caught my eye in the headlights. It appears the acrylic housing is blue tinted, same for tail lights. Actually it isn't, it's as clear as the 350 models. Take a close look at the chrome rings around the H/L lens inside, they are un-tinted chrome while everything else is blue. The majority of the inside is blue tinted plastic chrome, not the acrylic outer lens. It's been an illusion
Old 07-24-10, 08:05 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Cool

Hey thanks all, the Fogs went on without a bit of a problem. However, the headlamps was a piece of work. They don't fit real well and being the 20Mil it's a little difficult to work with once it has been applied. Air bubbles are extremely hard to get out and leaves a scar where they once were. Other than that, the good thing is if you don't like them or satisfied with the way they are applied, you can just take them off. No damage. (Not to mention it was 93 degrees while putting them on)

lar
Old 07-24-10, 08:28 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Hey thanks all, the Fogs went on without a bit of a problem. However, the headlamps was a piece of work. They don't fit real well and being the 20Mil it's a little difficult to work with once it has been applied. Air bubbles are extremely hard to get out and leaves a scar where they once were. Other than that, the good thing is if you don't like them or satisfied with the way they are applied, you can just take them off. No damage. (Not to mention it was 93 degrees while putting them on)

lar
The headlight lens work looks good from here.
The video said in time the air bubbles will go way on there own.
Old 07-24-10, 12:26 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

lar
I tried to apply pre-cut 3M film on my headlights, and gave up after fiddling around with the shape for about 20 minutes. The problem is the covered area is just too small, and one can't really take advantage of the film's 20% stretchability as there's just not enough material there, an that's to say nothing about the complex lens profile. While the pre-cut itself was well done, it's a no-go as far as I'm concerned. Fortunately, the piece is rather small, so the expense was relatively minor. I've also had problem with inside or concave curves. While I did get the bubbles out eventually, I made the cardinal error of blasting the car with a pressure washer. Pressure washers are okay on convex curves, but a big no-no on concave...

To the OP: Pardon the hijack...
Old 07-29-10, 05:44 PM
euroja153
Driver

I bought the blue fog light covers from lamin-x, they look awesome.

I thought I should look up the laws in Quebec before taking the car out and I found this:

Changing the colour of lights or reflectors $154 to $274
Reducing the brightness of lights or reflectors $154 to $274

The amounts refer to the fine.

So I have decided to take them off.

If someone in Canada/USA wants them, send me a PM with your address and Ill send them to you for free.

Jason
Attached Thumbnails Fog light lens....shattered-dsc01296a.jpg  

Last edited by euroja153; 07-29-10 at 06:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Fog light lens....shattered