RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

"Check AWD System" Warning Message (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-18, 05:41 AM
nvsdigital
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ncaler
Our RX350 got the same "Check AWD System" message. Brought it to check and they said it was because the fuel cap was not tight. I am suspicious of that answer because we brought gas 2 days before the message came up. Looking at this forum, looks like Lexus are giving all kind of weird explanation for this message.
Hi,
For me it was fuel cap...
Removed it for half an hour- resolved! Thanks to You.
Old 12-03-18, 05:34 AM
RHanley
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2015 RX 350 with 48,000 miles on it and this (CHECK AWD SYSTEM and TRAC OFF Lights on) just happened to me about 5 minutes into a drive. The vehicle seemed to be running fine with no loss of power or noticeable difference. My son hooked up his code reader which came back with Error Code P0015. According to code reader this means "Camshaft Position 'B' Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)" Apparently there are multiple reasons for the vehicle to produce this code. According to online repairs to fix the P0015 Code, the first is to reset the error code and perform a road test. My son reset the code with his code reader device and road tested. The lights have not come back on. Additional info, I had filled the vehicle with fuel the day before and the vehicle is due for an oil change. I will have oil changed this week and be careful to not overfill with fuel in future. Hopefully this is resolved. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 04-04-19, 07:07 PM
RXRunner
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No Fwd or Rev in Transmission

Coming home from work today on the Interstate highway running about 70 mph with cruise control activated on my 2010 RX350. All of a sudden the engine revved up, the cruise kicked out and I started slowing down. I tried using the accelerator pedal to speed up and no change in speed and continued to slow down. Tried to use the manual shift gears and no change. I then coasted off to the shoulder. I had no forward or reverse in any gear when revving the engine up to 3-4000 rpm. I cycled the key off and on. When I started back up, I had the following codes: Check Engine light, Check AWD System fault and Traction Control light on the dash. There was no oil on the pavement or drips when it was put on the wrecker to take it to the local Lexus dealership.

Not sure what happened to the transmission. Every service has been done as per factory schedule with only 105,867 miles on the vehicle. It is either mechanical failure inside or possibly an electrical problem. Anyone else have this happen to them or any thoughts?
Old 04-05-19, 06:33 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

This is a guess, but because it happened suddenly, no slipping or any warning signs, I think the problem may be electrical.
Before you take it to a shop, I think it's worth trying to check all fuses, reseating connectors to the transmission ECU and disconnecting the battery for a few minutes (this may reset the computer)
Please tell us, did you service the transmission even though Lexus does not recommend it?
Old 04-05-19, 06:02 PM
RXRunner
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The only service performed was by the local Lexus dealer and completely by the Lexus Service Schedule. If there was any transmission service the dealer would done it. The analysis came back as a mechanical failure inside the transmission. All the electrical checked out. There were pieces in side the pan. Game over. Dealer quoted me $6,000 for new transmission or a used one with 80K miles for $4,000. Too much money for a 9 year old car. Told the to find me anther one and trade it.
Old 04-08-19, 06:40 AM
Non
Intermediate

That is some bad luck, sorry to hear that.
We expect Toyota products to last 2 or 3 hundred thousand miles, and most do.
Old 04-17-19, 01:15 PM
SH44
Driver School Candidate

I was stopped on a steep incline holding the break, when traffic began to move again I had to hit the gas hard to avoid rolling backwards. I may have rolled back less than a foot, and then I went forward. Immediately the Check AWD system and the light with the skidding vehicle came on as well. I now have 3 lights on...1) vehicle skidding, 2) Check AWD, and 3) The common Check Engine symbol. I tried resetting the lights with the Odomoter A + press start button twice but it didnt correct the problem. I am very certain there is nothing wrong with the vehicle as it drove perfect for the next 30 minutes, and I don't want to bring it in to the dealership, any help on how to correct the lights, will it go away on its own, or does this mean there is definitely something minor wrong? I have not filled up for gas in 2 weeks so its not the cap, its related to this incline roll back situation. I have an RX 350, 2010.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-17-19, 01:42 PM
Non
Intermediate

Start by troubleshooting the common Check engine light. This car will turn on the Check AWD and the skidding light whenever the Check engine light is on (al least I think that is the case).

So check the check engine codes with a scanner, you can have any number of problems, like dirty mass air flow sensor or a vacuum leak.
Old 04-17-19, 02:35 PM
SH44
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Non
Start by troubleshooting the common Check engine light. This car will turn on the Check AWD and the skidding light whenever the Check engine light is on (al least I think that is the case).

So check the check engine codes with a scanner, you can have any number of problems, like dirty mass air flow sensor or a vacuum leak.
So it will not go away on its own? I have looked online it appears you need a device to check the engine code on your own...It seems I can buy one for 80 bucks at Canadian Tire...is it worth getting one? I am almost 100% certain there is no issue and the system was confused by the incline and minor skidding backwards while in drive.
Old 04-18-19, 04:56 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 305 Posts

Here in the U.S. many of the big box auto parts stores (Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, etc.) will read your OBDII codes at no charge. Call your equivalent Canadian stores and ask them if they do the same. And yes, every DIY guy needs a decent OBDII scanner in his toolbox.
Old 04-18-19, 06:03 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by SH44
It seems I can buy one for 80 bucks at Canadian Tire...is it worth getting one?
Amazon Canada has dozens of different code readers ranging from $10 to $500, if you're looking for options. The cheapest ones are usually bluetooth devices (of varying quality) that require a smartphone and app (some of which are free, others costs a few dollars). I have a couple of these BT readers that cost me $15, one works well, the other doesn't.
Old 04-18-19, 06:20 AM
SH44
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Droid13
Amazon Canada has dozens of different code readers ranging from $10 to $500, if you're looking for options. The cheapest ones are usually bluetooth devices (of varying quality) that require a smartphone and app (some of which are free, others costs a few dollars). I have a couple of these BT readers that cost me $15, one works well, the other doesn't.
Thanks I will pick one of these up...I am almost 100% certain nothing is wrong and I just want to clear the lights so if I actually do have a warning for something serious it will come on again to warn me. I think the system became tricked because of the incline situation I described above...Looking at this one:

Veepeak Bluetooth OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner for Android

Old 04-18-19, 12:45 PM
SH44
Driver School Candidate

Update:After driving about 10km the warning lights turned off on their own...so hopefully It was as I thought an error...
Old 07-26-19, 10:58 AM
Enz
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dash lit up! Help! Check AWD system, CEL, traction control

The 2010 RX350 dash lit up Check AWD, CEL, and traction control. Codes I pulled P0138 ( O2 sensor circuit high voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2) and P0607 (Control module performance) is most likely the O2 sensor. However I also got C1201 (Engine control syst. malfunction) which is more like a general informational code AND C1241 (Low or High Power supply Voltage). I haven’t seen a post on online forums with these combination of codes. I did check the battery and alternator seems to be working. https://www.autocodes.com/c1241_toyota.html says something about the skid control. Also pulled the ECU, EFI, ETCs fuses but not 100% I got all of them. Checked fuse resistance about 1 Ohm.

This started yesterday after that big downpour. Wife also said she started using the E-brake not sure if its got anything to do with that specially the C1241. Any thoughts? Help!

Car is just under 100K, I took a screenshot from a post here with how my dash also looks like and saw other posts that sometimes the AWD and traction control indicators light up with a CEL/DTC even when there is nothing wrong with them.

Old 07-26-19, 10:59 AM
Enz
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

this is where I got the screenshot from but he had different codes
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...wd-system.html

Quick Reply: "Check AWD System" Warning Message (merged threads)