RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Blind spot monitor does not function

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-22, 04:08 PM
ChiLina
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blind spot monitor does not function

Hi, could you help me to solve bsm problem?
I have 2014 Lexus RX.
Today after short drive ( it was moderate rain) bsm lighted up constantly.
later today while driving out of garage, I had bsm malfunction and AWD malfunction warning signFigured out it was system electrical problem. Checked battery - it was ok. Disassembled battery terminals , found out they were rusty , cleaned them nicely. Reattached battery.
All works now except for bsm
No warning lights.
Attempts to push bsm button don't change anything - it simply does not light up. No error messages either.
wonder if the fuse is dead?
Probably need to buy techstream CD and cable from Amazon?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Lina from Chicago

Last edited by ChiLina; 03-31-22 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-01-22, 10:47 AM
Buzzer777
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiLina
Hi, could you help me to solve bsm problem?
I have 2014 Lexus RX.
Today after short drive ( it was moderate rain) bsm lighted up constantly.
later today while driving out of garage, I had bsm malfunction and AWD malfunction warning signFigured out it was system electrical problem. Checked battery - it was ok. Disassembled battery terminals , found out they were rusty , cleaned them nicely. Reattached battery.
All works now except for bsm
No warning lights.
Attempts to push bsm button don't change anything - it simply does not light up. No error messages either.
wonder if the fuse is dead?
Probably need to buy techstream CD and cable from Amazon?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Lina from Chicago
Try cleaning the button sensors located on the front and rear bumbers. You might have to use some alcohol, and that will remove wax so use it sparingly. Pay particular attention to those on the rear bumper passenger side. Mine required 2 cleanings about 3 days apart for some reason.
Old 04-01-22, 01:49 PM
ChiLina
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Buzzer777
Try cleaning the button sensors located on the front and rear bumbers. You might have to use some alcohol, and that will remove wax so use it sparingly. Pay particular attention to those on the rear bumper passenger side. Mine required 2 cleanings about 3 days apart for some reason.
Thanks a ton!!!
It worked!
I did try some cleaning without alcohol before, it did not work. Alcohol made the trick!
The following users liked this post:
Buzzer777 (04-02-22)
Old 04-04-22, 10:02 PM
JETMIKE007
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Buzzer777
I'm pretty sure the button sensors are for the parking assist feature. The blind spot sensors/detection units are not visible and located under the bumper corners, one on each side.
The following users liked this post:
smknkeyz (04-05-22)
Old 04-05-22, 08:32 AM
footnote22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Use this trick if blind spot monitoring fails

Try leaning your head against the driver's side window and adjusting the driver's side outside rearview mirror so you can just see the side of the car. Then lean in the other direction so your head is over the center console and adjust the passenger side outside rearview mirror so you can just see the side of the car. This virtually eliminates the blindspots though you will not be able to see directly behind your vehicle--use the inside rearview mirror for that. This technique takes a little getting used to but I believe it is the proper way to use your outside rearview mirrors though very few people know the trick. I keep my mirrors adjusted this way despite having blind spot monitoring on my car. This works on any vehicle, not just the RX.
Old 04-06-22, 05:45 AM
Buzzer777
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JETMIKE007
I'm pretty sure the button sensors are for the parking assist feature. The blind spot sensors/detection units are not visible and located under the bumper corners, one on each side.
IDK, but I found the "fix" here, and it fixed my BSM problem.

Old 04-06-22, 01:00 PM
Non
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by footnote22
Try leaning your head against the driver's side window and adjusting the driver's side outside rearview mirror so you can just see the side of the car. Then lean in the other direction so your head is over the center console and adjust the passenger side outside rearview mirror so you can just see the side of the car. This virtually eliminates the blindspots though you will not be able to see directly behind your vehicle--use the inside rearview mirror for that. This technique takes a little getting used to but I believe it is the proper way to use your outside rearview mirrors though very few people know the trick. I keep my mirrors adjusted this way despite having blind spot monitoring on my car. This works on any vehicle, not just the RX.
You're not alone, this is how I adjust my mirrors too. I think it eliminates the blind spots, because as a car is passing me, I can see it's front in my side mirror, before it's back disappears from my rear view mirror, and then I can see it's front from the corner of my eye before it's back disappears from my side mirror. As an added bonus, at night, I don't see the bright lights of cars behind me reflected in the side mirrors. I like adjusting my mirrors this way, but I think going the traditional way is also fine, and safe, just turn your head before you change lanes

Old 04-07-22, 07:22 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry, but I always want to see a piece of the car when I glance in the mirror as a point of reference. Blind spot monitor kicks in for the rest.
It's too easy at the grocery store or other parking lot for someone to bump my mirror out of wack.
If a small part of the car is not in the reflection then I know something is amiss.
If I got used to not seeing any part of the vehicle in the mirror at a glance I wouldn't know when the mirror was pointed to tim-buck-too.

Do what you will but my last accident was in 1973.