ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015-212/)
-   -   RX 350 headlight housing....I have noticed it comes in different configurations? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015/507315-rx-350-headlight-housing-i-have-noticed-it-comes-in-different-configurations.html)

LexISguy 06-12-10 06:34 PM

RX 350 headlight housing....I have noticed it comes in different configurations?

Hi everyone has anyone else noticed this or just me? I know the headlights on the RX 450 hybrid are LED's, with three lights on the top of the headlight housing. Curiously I have noticed that the headlights on the 350 are arranged differently. For instance the HID/low beam would be on the outside edge of the housing while the DRL/high beam on the inner side. But Also I have seen the HID/low beam on the inner side while the DRL/high beam is situated on the outer side of the headlight housing. Are these configurations associated with a certain package? Any ideas?

rominl 06-12-10 06:54 PM

i believe (someone please correct me), for hid equipped cars, the low beams are on the inside and highbeams outside. for halogen equipped cars, low beams outside and highbeams inside

Johnny 06-12-10 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Probably because of the cornering actuators.

Type 1

http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/lexus_rx_35...IXKp9YwAAwQQ--

Type 2

MEP7557 06-12-10 07:37 PM

You're partially right. This is what I know. If you have the HID, which I do, on a 350 they are on the inside and they are both low and high beams, the outside light is merely the DRL. Not sure how that applies to the other set up though.

RXSF 06-12-10 11:06 PM

Actually, it depends on the auto highbeams. However, there is confusion on whether or not there are three different configurations

1) halogen on the outside, this is for sure
2) HID on the inside when equipped with auto highbeams, this is for sure
3) HID on the inside period.

However, I think most cars come equipped with both HID and Auto highbeams.

sightdev 06-13-10 06:29 AM

its simple; Comfort package, HID;bi-xeon[low/high]/AFS and projector is inside shown in Type2 above. non-original HID or standard light will have projector on the outer part of the housing like Type1 above. Halogen only function as DRL. In the US, newer federal law mandates that the HID lights meet certain height limit and must be AFS. Some manufacturer use AFS in advertising as something new and unique but even $22k Mazda3 with HID package has AFS.

Johnny 06-13-10 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by sightdev (Post 5564025)
Halogen only function as DRL.

In Canada & other parts of the World, the DRL and high beam are one and the same lamp & function.

DRL = 50% output, High beam = 100% output

Don't know why they would make this different anywhere else. :uh:

LexISguy 06-13-10 04:35 PM

Cool thanks for the information. Where can I find it? Why didn't Lexus just stick to one design?

LexFather 06-13-10 06:21 PM

I love the LEDs....I really don't like how the HID bulb looks near the grill, not a fan at all.

antonio98 06-13-10 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny (Post 5564065)
In Canada & other parts of the World, the DRL and high beam are one and the same lamp & function.

DRL = 50% output, High beam = 100% output

This is also true for the new GX in the US.

RXSF 06-13-10 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX (Post 5565183)
I love the LEDs....I really don't like how the HID bulb looks near the grill, not a fan at all.

I looks okay off, but when there is an RX following you from behind at night, the lights look really off because of the narrow looking headlights (makes it look like a really small car) but then the fogs are just as wide as before.

rominl 06-13-10 10:59 PM

agreed, it looks really really stupid

spoon808 06-14-10 12:22 AM

I think, for the HID version, it'd look a lot better with the turn signals lit up as "parking lights." That way it'd give more of a feel to the width of the car.

Also, I have a question. Does anyone know the purpose of the duct above the headlights that seems to run along the hoodline? It's highly evident in the type two picture, Im just curious about its function.

sightdev 06-14-10 01:05 PM

Neither do I but I guess its Toyota design feature. I think it would look better if it was like new GX setup with projector on the ouside of the housing with "little" drop on the edge, unique and different.

RXSF 06-14-10 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by sightdev (Post 5567136)
Neither do I but I guess its Toyota design feature. I think it would look better if it was like new GX setup with projector on the ouside of the housing with "little" drop on the edge, unique and different.

unique? :p

subaru outback
http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/subaru_outb..._headlight.jpg