RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Ventilated seats and more questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-10, 01:29 PM
lexiton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ventilated seats and more questions...

I bought my '10 used with 9K miles and sealed the deal after hours and was in a rush to leave after a long process and did not get to ask alot of questions soooo.

1. I can't tell if the ventilated seats are doing anything. Is this normal?

2. Are there outside mirror defrosters?

3. Is it a 5K oil change or 10K oil change? All my maintenance items were reset to nothing and I cannot tell.

BTW, Love the RX350. So comfortable and is the smoothest shifting vehicle I have ever driven. Aside from the iphone incompatibility I am very impressed. Switched from a '10 A4.

Thanks
Old 05-26-10, 01:32 PM
nyranger74
Driver School Candidate

You barely feel the venitlated seats working, but they are/
The sideview mirrors are defrosted with putting on the rear defroster
10k oil change with 0W-10 or 20
Iphone functionality will probably improve with a firmware update.
Old 05-27-10, 01:38 PM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

agree with everything nyranger stated, but want to say that my impression of the ventilated seats is that they essentially do nothing. I know, others have mentioned they are functioning despite the fact the driver is little affected, but as far as I'm concerned, if there's no feeling of cooling, they are useless.
Old 05-28-10, 06:59 AM
SimonJinx
Driver School Candidate

Have to disagree with previous speaker. Tried ventilated seats in NYC's 88F, 90% humidity. AC setting 68F. Worked great. It's not like a hurricane strong wind blowing in your ***, but you can feel cool air coming from the bottom and back. Wearing nothing more than a t-shirt definitely helps.
Old 05-28-10, 10:05 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonJinx
Have to disagree with previous speaker. Tried ventilated seats in NYC's 88F, 90% humidity. AC setting 68F. Worked great. It's not like a hurricane strong wind blowing in your ***, but you can feel cool air coming from the bottom and back. Wearing nothing more than a t-shirt definitely helps.
Glad you feel it and like it. Maybe there's a problem with mine (I'll mention it to the dealership the next time I bring it in) or maybe becuase you set the temperature lower than I normally do. How do you distinguish the effect from the seats from that of the AC, especially if you have set the fan speed high. Do you just turn off the seat cooling and feel the difference?
Old 05-28-10, 10:37 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ziggy1
Glad you feel it and like it. Maybe there's a problem with mine (I'll mention it to the dealership the next time I bring it in) or maybe becuase you set the temperature lower than I normally do. How do you distinguish the effect from the seats from that of the AC, especially if you have set the fan speed high. Do you just turn off the seat cooling and feel the difference?
Ziggie, the ventilated seats as far as cooling are just that. They ventilate the cabin air. Now in the winter time the seats also have heated coils to toast your buns fast on the really cold mornings but in the summer, it's just cabin air vented through the holes.
Old 05-28-10, 12:47 PM
SimonJinx
Driver School Candidate

Easy question. AC blows right in my face. And that freaken seat blows on my back. Though not nearly as strong as AC vents. And yes, when I turned it on/off I could feel it right away.
Old 05-28-10, 08:45 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Also depends what you are wearing. Obviously jeans will make it harder to feel. However, even when I wear jeans I can feel the ventilated seats working. Have it on the highest setting, and after 30 seconds, there is an unsettling cooling feeling down there. Im not used to it. I dont think you are necessarily suppose to feel anything. It is just to prevent a sweaty butt.

remember, it is trying to blow air through 150+ pounds of ***, haha
Old 05-29-10, 04:49 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

why would ventilated seats blow cool air when I had my heat on....in the winter? I wanted to test it out and see if it blew "warm" air...it was definitely cool. I know they're not "cooled" seats, but if they're just blowing cabin air, why wouldn't they blow hot when the heat is on?
Old 05-29-10, 10:12 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

no, for years, heated seats just use the warmers in the cushion. As others have noted, the air doesnt really penetrate the pants, so im guessing it is a very inefficient way of heating (and cooling).

the seat controls are separate to the HVAC system. turning the dial to the blue area is for ventilation, no matter if you have the heat on.
Old 05-30-10, 03:16 PM
euroja153
Driver

Originally Posted by ziggy1
agree with everything nyranger stated, but want to say that my impression of the ventilated seats is that they essentially do nothing. I know, others have mentioned they are functioning despite the fact the driver is little affected, but as far as I'm concerned, if there's no feeling of cooling, they are useless.
The seats work, try lifting your back off the seat back for a second. If you are sat back on your seat the whole time then obviously the air has no way to come out of the holes.
Old 06-18-10, 02:37 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a new 10 IS and the seat bottom ventilation works so so but no air at all comes out the backs
Old 06-18-10, 08:19 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was out driving around today in 104 degrees and had the seat ventilation on max. Didn't think much of it till I got home and realized my back and bottom weren't sweaty as they usually were in my other car with out the ventilation. I was not expecting 'freezer burn', the lack of sweat is great. Works for me.
Old 06-19-10, 09:39 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 052SI
We have a new 10 IS and the seat bottom ventilation works so so but no air at all comes out the backs
Usually the range of cooling is only to very lower back (of course, the bottom of the seat).

Last edited by rxets; 06-19-10 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Lower back + seat
Old 06-19-10, 04:14 PM
pdxmark2
Driver School Candidate

I was totally stoked for the ventilated seats to come to the RX line-up, and I think if you have it cranked on the "3" setting, I agree with everyone else, it's not like there's a strong feeling of airflow, just a lack of the sweatiness you get "down there" on a warm day. Like that feature a lot.

Quick Reply: Ventilated seats and more questions...