RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

rear suspension squeek

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-12, 12:13 PM
mogy2010Rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Squeek/tweet/chirp

We are scheduled yet again to have the issue of the squeek addressed. @Garful, I was wondering where you are located in California. I am in the Los Angeles area. I can take my car to any Lexus dealer under warranty . If your dealer is better than mine, maybe I should go there....I have been going to Lexus of Valencia and while they have been accomidating, my noises presist. I will mention the trailing arm issue to the service department, but they usually dont want to hear from customers what may be wrong, they prefer to figure it out themselves. Haha.
Old 06-26-12, 11:07 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

My 450h is in today for the Rear Suspension squeak fix. Will update the status once I got the car.

Update:

SA called and said car is ready....Woohoo...BUT .... it can't be fixed. Lexus is aware of the design ''flaw" in the 3rd gen Rear Bushing and is coming up with a NEW design. However, the parts are NOT ready yet and they have no time frame for it (maybe 2-3 months). In the mean time I have to live with the squeaking rear suspension.

Not very happy to hear that but what can I do now? Does anyone hear similar news? Please share.

Last edited by GoHuskers; 06-26-12 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-02-12, 11:02 AM
mogy2010Rx
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear Squeak, continues

UPDATE to my squeak problem:
My squeak has plagued me since the car had about 9000 mi, it now has 24000 and has been in to service to fix that squeak, approx. 6 times or more. The last was last monday. The service guy was driven in the car, heard the noise, and verified it was on the passenger side. They had the car for a day and called and told us they found a leaking shock (note: this is the 2nd leaking shock and probably the 3rd or foruth time the shocks have been changed). OK we thought. They had the car a week, we were called and told the car was ready finally (had to back order the part). When we picked the car up, we learned they changed the opposite side shock, the drivers side, as that was the one leaking. When this was questioned, they said "oh the sound probably echoed to the other side" OMG! That is almost as bad as one dealer telling me once that a parking brake wasnt designed to hold a car...
Well I had my doubts and sure enough, after driving it 5 miles, the squeak started up. So it was right back to the dealer. Man they put us back in that loaner and got us out of that dealership in a big hurry.
We have not been able to find out about any TSBs or similar as to what this could be. The closest was this posting:
Originally Posted by garfull
My rear squeak came about 10k miles right after the service. They changed out the rear shocks at 15 or 20k but that didnt fix it. They finally replaced the rear trailing arms with the 2011 arms and that fixed it. They said there was some interference and the new arms were slightly different.
This would in fact replace the bushings as well, obviously and may be what fixes the problems we are having.
The dealer has our car and has not called us for any sort of status. Will post status when available.
Old 07-02-12, 01:02 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Originally Posted by mogy2010Rx
UPDATE to my squeak problem:
My squeak has plagued me since the car had about 9000 mi, it now has 24000 and has been in to service to fix that squeak, approx. 6 times or more. The last was last monday. The service guy was driven in the car, heard the noise, and verified it was on the passenger side. They had the car for a day and called and told us they found a leaking shock (note: this is the 2nd leaking shock and probably the 3rd or foruth time the shocks have been changed). OK we thought. They had the car a week, we were called and told the car was ready finally (had to back order the part). When we picked the car up, we learned they changed the opposite side shock, the drivers side, as that was the one leaking. When this was questioned, they said "oh the sound probably echoed to the other side" OMG! That is almost as bad as one dealer telling me once that a parking brake wasnt designed to hold a car...
Well I had my doubts and sure enough, after driving it 5 miles, the squeak started up. So it was right back to the dealer. Man they put us back in that loaner and got us out of that dealership in a big hurry.
We have not been able to find out about any TSBs or similar as to what this could be. The closest was this posting:

This would in fact replace the bushings as well, obviously and may be what fixes the problems we are having.
The dealer has our car and has not called us for any sort of status. Will post status when available.
Please update us when you get the car back. This starts to be an annoying things for me now. The SA director said that he has about 5-6 people complaining about this same squeaking thing now.
Old 07-03-12, 12:13 AM
FDToth
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GoHukers, mogy2010 Rx:

Do you have the same noise-problem that i posted int the comment #26? Or you a have a totally different?
i read all your comments and i was surprised that you have these problems for along time!
Have your retailer or service offered you a new RX or some compensation? If they can't solve it why they try to repair and repair so many times? Couldn't be easier give back the money? This is a premium car and it is not accepable that Lexus can't solve it for such a long time!
Moreover the problem wrote in the comment # 26 i have these:
- While reversing you have a very loud piping noise :
- While driving the left rar seat always shakes...
- When you turn the wheel left or right you have this sound (this is not my car!):

These porblems ara really unacceptable and i think Lexus does not doing anything!
Old 07-03-12, 11:07 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

I am waiting for the updated bushing to be available.
Old 07-10-12, 11:18 AM
drifting
Driver School Candidate

Default rear suspension squeak

Originally Posted by rxets
This week my car will be in for the checkup. I guess I may have to be the dealership twice in order to have this fixed...
did the dealer fix the problem? I want to take it in also.
Old 07-10-12, 11:21 AM
drifting
Driver School Candidate

Default squeak?

Originally Posted by rxets
As I guess, it will take at least 2 visits to get this done. Not too many dealership carries all the parts. It took almost 4 hours to complete their inspection and works. First of all, they thought it's the rear seat against the rail or the rear door against the frame or tonneau cover rattle or the spare tire rub against the bottom of trunk. They greased all over and adjust all the stuff. The squeaking noise still exists. After a few more test-drives, they determined to replace the rear coil spring. However, they're in the backorder now. They "believe" my case is more related to coil sprint instead of shock absorber. Who knows!? Let's see how it works in 1-2 weeks.
was it the coils?????
Old 07-11-12, 11:43 AM
mogy2010Rx
Driver School Candidate

Default squeak/chirp noise update

Got our car back (again). This time with many apologies, they replaced the shock on the side that it was in for in the first place. Dealer claims it is the shocks. So far with about 50 miles of driving, no noise. However, I have to reserve my judgement for now, because we have been through this before and the same exact noise came back. So for now it is quiet. I am damaged, tho, because now when I get in to the car, i automatically listen for the damn chirp on the right rear of the car!
Old 07-11-12, 01:53 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Originally Posted by mogy2010Rx
Got our car back (again). This time with many apologies, they replaced the shock on the side that it was in for in the first place. Dealer claims it is the shocks. So far with about 50 miles of driving, no noise. However, I have to reserve my judgement for now, because we have been through this before and the same exact noise came back. So for now it is quiet. I am damaged, tho, because now when I get in to the car, i automatically listen for the damn chirp on the right rear of the car!
Did they ever mention anything about the pushing? My dealer said it is the pushing and refuse to fix anything until the NEW pushing released and we don't know when it will be released.

Thanks for the update.
Old 08-08-12, 11:29 PM
SAPNY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my passenger side makes a sound
i actually just purchased a rx 2010 (made in 7-2010) cpo about 10 days ago
I took it in to the dealer and they said it is common and i should drive it for a month and then come back
Even my steering wheel makes a sound especially when i reverse
Old 08-24-12, 10:49 AM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the rear suspension "squeak" as well...to me it was more of a grinding noise. Like others, my dealer replaced the rear trailing arms and that fixed it. 2010 RX350 AWD.
Old 08-24-12, 12:40 PM
soccertl
Driver School Candidate

My 2011 RX350 has 11k miles on it and doesn't make a peep. I hope this isn't something I have to look forward to.
Old 09-07-12, 12:10 PM
Quatro40
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello I brought my 2010 RX for the squeak in the back and they replaced a leaky shock absorber. I don't have the car back yet but the tech said the sound is gone.
Old 09-07-12, 12:49 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Originally Posted by Quatro40
Hello I brought my 2010 RX for the squeak in the back and they replaced a leaky shock absorber. I don't have the car back yet but the tech said the sound is gone.
My dealer first TOLD me it was the rear shock absorber but also said that this part is being redesigned. I later called Lexus customer care and they told me NO SUCH thing is being redesigned. I confronted my Service Director and he then he asked his Lexus rep and they have no idea what going on now.

I wrote to the store manager and told him about the "problem". I told him while this is NOT a safety issue and the car is still "good enough to drive" but in the luxury market the "good enough" is BAD. He wrote back and agreed with me. Still though nothing has done yet.

Please update once you got the car back and confirm the squeaks are gone.

Quick Reply: rear suspension squeek