RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Hardwire Valentine V1 radar in 2010 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-13, 07:02 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by denkigroov
I know there are several articles out there on how to hardwire a radar but none that I've found so far for the 2010 RX350. So figure I'd add this for the 2010 RX350 owners. This install is for the V1 but it should be applicable for other radars as well.

First off, the supplies:

1) Radar: Valentine One
2) Hardwire stealth wire kit. Got it for $9.50 shipped from ebay.
3) Small flathead screwdriver

Now we move to the install. The rear view mirror is the most convenient location to tap into the switched power and ground.
**Note: the rear view mirror switched +12v powers on only when the engine is turned on and not the AC on

1) There should be a wire clamp holding the wire to the arm, you can pop that out to allow more room for movement (and to use later to hold your stealth wire).

2) Behind the mirror there is a small black cover over where the wire harness is plugged. Using a small flathead screwdriver, carefully pop it out by wedging it into the sides and pushing it out. This should now expose the wire harness.

3) Depress the clip above the wire harness which should allow you to pull it out. With the wire harness facing you, there are 2 rows of wires, 12 total.
Top L to R: Blue, Pink, Brown, Orange, Red, Black
Bottom L to R: Tan, White, Green, Yellow, Purple, Gray

4) On the top row you will be using the Black (+12V switched) and the Brown wire (Ground). With the stealth wiring kit, slide the stealth red wire into the back of the +12V switch (black) wire, and with the stealth black wire, slide in back of the mirror Ground (brown) wire.
**Note: the harness is a pretty tight fit so if you are using a stealth wiring kit, then it may be difficult at first trying to find that sweet spot and keeping the wire tips from overbending. After a while of trying I have found the easiest spot was slide the wire tips between the 1st and 2nd rows. Try to bend the wires for the two rows outward to make give some space between the wires. For example, try to bend the Brown and Green wires away from each other so you can get a bit of room to slide the wire tip between the Brown end. And then the same for the Black and Gray which should be easier since it’s on the edge of the harness.

5) Now plug the cord into the radar and test the power. Turn on the engine and the radar should power up. Once the power is confirmed, you can now start hiding the wires using the zip ties. Since my stealth wire was a few inches longer, I bunched it with the mirror's wire harness clamp which worked out perfectly.

I decided to mount the radar to the top left of the mirror which is a good location in my line of site. It's right behind the black layer which also keeps it hidden from onlookers when parked. Of course the radar placement is completely up to you.

The install was pretty simple and I think anyone can do it. Hope this helps other fellow 2010 RX350 owners...
this setup didn't work for my 2010 RX350 ( black +12V and brown wire ground) it disabled my AFS headlights (malfunction error appears in dashboard), i tapped rain sensor connector instead.
Old 11-28-17, 12:26 AM
Trentky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thedba
Thanks OP for posting. I tried today on mine and it did NOT have the brown wire. I tested the wires from the rear view mirror and it's the black (+) and white (-) next to each other. It might be because vehicle wasn't equipped with navigation.
You just saved the day man! Thanks!! Mine also doesn't have navi.