RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 Options & Accessories

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-10, 08:09 AM
ChitChat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Options & Accessories

I'm getting close to buying my first Lexus . . . a 2010 RX350.

I had a tough time deciding on the color and I think I've narrowed it down to Tungsten Pearl with light gray interior. I've never been a person to like dark colored vehicles. As much as I like the color I feel it doesn't have enough definition and doesn't stand out as much as the darker colors. I'm looking to add an accessory or two to make it stand out from all the others. What is everyone's opinion on the grill upgrade. I'm looking at the one that looks like mesh and I was thinking of adding the chrome accents around the tailights and headlights. Is this a good choice and worth the extra money . . . opinions please??

Also, I can't believe these vehicles don't come with door moldings to protect against other doors banging into mine. How important do you think it is to have this and is it worth the extra $595.

Also, thinking of getting the remote starter even though I've read not so good reviews. I don't mind only having a 30 foot range because I just need to warm it up from the house. However, my dealer is telling me it cost $895 when the website specifically says $375. He insists that $375 is only the price if the vehicle comes equipped from the factory that way. If they do it at the dealership they charge $895 for the same product. Is this possible??

Thanks all . . . I'm looking forward to becoming a part of the Lexus Club!
Old 02-18-10, 08:42 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the mesh grill but I didn't know it was a Lexus option--there is a thread here about the grill from E&G Classics. Interesting.

I think the moldings are a good idea. They weren't available when I got mine in July.

Re; Remote Start--you would be insane to pay your dealer $900 to put in the POS factory remote. Find a reputable car/stereo/remote start shop and get one that is MUCH better for MUCH less. My installer put in a CompuStar simple one button RS for $470 and some of that cost was finding and disabling the factory RS. It also locks and unlocks the doors. You do, however, have to keep the factory fob with you or you can't start your car!. I opted for the factory RS (before I knew how terrible it was) for the simplicity and compactness of one fob. I now have 2 fobs, but the CompuStar is very small and light and it works!! There are many RS's that are light years ahead of the dealer RS. BTW, besides the very limited range, another negative to the factory RS is the TEDIOUS button pushes---you have to press the lock button 3 or 4 times and your timing has to be just right.
Old 02-18-10, 09:15 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

You say you want gray but say it's bland?

Pick Starfire pearl or Golden Almond then..?
Old 02-18-10, 09:29 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

You're right, the 3rd gen RX looks great in white. If our ES wasn't in white there's a good chance we would have gotten our new RX in white, but Red is gorgeous as well. Maybe you want to check that out, it's not so dark as you may think.

We ended up going with the door moldings because we often park in populated parking lots as well as go into cities often. Even so, you never know who will park next to you and be careless about swinging their door open. It's really a good idea, I have these old style moldings on my Seville and I have considerably fewer dents and chips on the doors than younger cars, so they do pay off. We also got the plastic covering done of the trim and bumper which protects against rock chips, perhaps you'll want to consider that as well.

Ours came with the remote start, we haven't tried it yet. And to be honest, I doubt we'll ever have much use for it. I've gotten into the habit of observing and checking on the cars as they are starting up to make sure there is no leaking, smells or strange exhaust smoke coming out, so I wouldn't use the remote start anyway. If it wasn't included we would have passed on it.
Old 02-18-10, 10:06 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

i was surprised that it didnt come with door moldings. from the entire lexus line and the few toyotas we've seen for the 09-10 MY, there werent too many that came with the moldings off the lot, and if they did, they probably added the option onto the sticker price. l-tunedparts.com has the door moldings for a pretty good price. best of luck with the purchase!

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=759
Old 02-18-10, 10:37 AM
nyranger74
Driver School Candidate

I too hate the factory remote start. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal that the car shut off when you touch the door handles. It actually is a big deal, especially since we have to put twins in the car, so when the engine shuts off, the car gets cold again. Im thinking of having the Viper Smart Start installed. This way, I won't have to carry an additional remote.
Old 02-18-10, 10:42 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by lex
You say you want gray but say it's bland?

Pick Starfire pearl or Golden Almond then..?
I don't think you will find a Golden Almond Metallic vehicle in these here United States of America.The color apparently doesn't sell and the dealers don't order them. Golden Almond is the only color my wife likes. If we get the RX350 she will have to go Tungsten Pearl w/ gray interior as a second choice. Tungsten pearly only comes with gray interior.
Old 02-18-10, 10:58 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the Matado Red and almost got it. It is quite stiking especially with chrome rims. I ended up with Starfire Pearl. Check my posts for the grille change. Remote sart was only $395, mine did not come with it and I think I'm glad considering it shuts off when you open the door.

Good Luck....
Old 02-18-10, 11:27 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I have the Tungsten Pearl with black interior. Does it stand out? No, and that's the way I like it. I don't want to be a target. Plus the salt and dirt don't show up as much

I have added the mud guards and JDM visors so far. I haven't changed the grille and probably won't because I haven't seen anything I love yet. The dealer had a few RXs in their showroom with horizontal grilles but they were installed over the OE grille. They looked tacky. I prefer the RX with no side moldings. Those things capture dirt and ruin the clean lines IMO.

My 450h came with the remote start installed. I like it. Mine has worked in distances over 30 ft. You can buy it from a vendor here and have someone install locally for you cheaper. Or like other people have said, get a different system for less.

My dealer had a Golden Almond RX in their lot when I was there two weeks ago. It's a pretty unique color in person. But I'm partial to my Tungsten Pearl. Good luck!

Last edited by kitlz; 02-18-10 at 11:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-18-10, 11:50 AM
ChitChat
Rookie

Thanks all for your replies!

To the poster who has pictures of the chrome mesh grill . . . I love it! I asked several friends for their opinions and two questions were raised. One was that it doesn't look sturdy and if I tap into something it will bend. Also, someone said that the grill that comes with the car is more recognizable as beinig a Lexus and this grill may not look authentic. Opinions??

If Lexus installs an upgraded grill, do I get to keep the factory installed grill since it's part of the car that I'm paying for?

My concern about getting a remote starter outside from the dealer is that the salesperson warned me not to let anyone else except Lexus touch my electrical system and if I did my warranty would be voided. Do they mean the entire warranty would be voided . . . engine, tranny, etc. ??? How much damage can someone do if I go to a reputable place that strictly installs alarms and remote starters?

Any more opinions on whether or not the door moldings would take away from the car's appearance and lines?

I'm getting closer to finalizing the deal and need to go in with a clear head.

Thanks!
Old 02-18-10, 12:03 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by ChitChat
My concern about getting a remote starter outside from the dealer is that the salesperson warned me not to let anyone else except Lexus touch my electrical system and if I did my warranty would be voided. Do they mean the entire warranty would be voided . . . engine, tranny, etc. ??? How much damage can someone do if I go to a reputable place that strictly installs alarms and remote starters?
That's BS. I put in aftermarket stereo equipment in my '04. It probably killed the battery prematurely but the dealer still replaced it under warranty without any hassles. Not everyone gets their car serviced at Lexus either. Does that mean their warranty is void too? I don't think so. I'd tell them to go scratch.
Old 02-18-10, 01:09 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Any more opinions on whether or not the door moldings would take away from the car's appearance and lines?
We thought it looked slightly better without the molding...but not by much. It's really a more subjective type of thing. If you like pinstripes and lines you'll probably be alright with the molding.

BTW, the molding was standard up until this generation.
Old 02-18-10, 01:42 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The grille is quite sturdy. It is made of solid metal. You would have to push on it really hard to bend it, in fact the factory plastic surround would break first. It is not cheaply built at all.
Old 02-18-10, 02:15 PM
jclem
Pole Position

Thanks all for your replies!

Thanks!
Holy Crap! I hope you had your waders on 'cuz the ***** was really deep that day!
Also, sorry Anita, but I disagree with your suggestion to Chitchat about getting a RS one place and having it installed another. IF something goes wrong with it, where does the blame lie? If you "one-stop-shop", then the responsibility is only on one set of shoulders.

I believe there's a thread here about the moldings with some pics. Take a look and see what you think.
Old 02-18-10, 02:26 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
My dealer had a Golden Almond RX in their lot when I was there two weeks ago. It's a pretty unique color in person. But I'm partial to my Tungsten Pearl. Good luck!
Is "pretty unique" good or bad. My wife would really like to see it. Cars look so much different than you can imagine by looking at the color chip in the brochure.

Where is your dealer? Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2010 Options & Accessories