RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 Ventilated Seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-11, 07:09 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
yes its possible since the 'base' RX gets fabric seats, but then you also dont get anything from the premium package
I guess it depends on the dealer but yes, you can still get the fabric with the premium or luxury options, but not in packages are they're already priced as a group.
Old 06-09-11, 07:59 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few things.
1. The seat design will affect how you feel the cool/heated seats. The 2RX seats are different to the 3RX. I think the 3RX are much comfier but they seem thicker and wider. The Lexus IS has heated/cooled but the IS F has heated only due to seat design. I agree the 2RX seat heaters are very fast to warm up compared to other models.

2. The 2RX had no cooled seat option, it was heat only. The 3RX does both.

3. I believe there was a case where someone SUED a car company for heated seats that got too hot!! There is a NHTSA investigation in some seats.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/14/h...e-seat-heater/

4. The LS seat coolers actually use cooled air from the A/C, its not a fan like in the RX.

I thought cooled/heated seats were a gimmick until I got a car with heated seats. I thought wow. Then when I drove one with cooled seats in the summer, I thought wow.

Even Porsche now offers it in the 911!
Old 06-09-11, 09:35 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

honestly, assuming that we are all males here, heated seats wont do us any good. 2 minutes of hot bliss, and then its sterilization
Old 06-09-11, 11:37 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

^^ Too funny, RXSF

Now speaking as a female (typically the ones that complain it's too cold), the heated seats work fine. I don't need to scorch the buns so to speak. It's still detectable with a heavy coat on. The longer the drive, the better.

Can we change the subject? It's like 100+ friggin' degrees around here I'm more concerned about cooling the buns And yes that works too.
Old 06-09-11, 12:03 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

No you didn't
Old 06-09-11, 12:10 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ I thought it was funny.
Old 06-10-11, 08:51 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
I'm planing to buy the seat covers, hopefully the heat/cold still work a bit for me. Oh love New England weather....
I have used a terry cloth towel over the driver's seat in both the LS and now the RX. I can't see that it affects the cooled/heated seats much. There is a "warning" in the owners manual "not" to cover the heated/cooled seats. I can imagine that sheep skins would inhibit both cooling and heating and possibly damage the system?
Old 06-11-11, 06:59 AM
us088374
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RGSW
I have used a terry cloth towel over the driver's seat in both the LS and now the RX. I can't see that it affects the cooled/heated seats much. There is a "warning" in the owners manual "not" to cover the heated/cooled seats. I can imagine that sheep skins would inhibit both cooling and heating and possibly damage the system?
I cannot think of any reason seat covers would cause damage to the heat/ventilation system. They may however prevent air bags for operating correctly. With all the sensors within the seats and actual places that the bags come out of on impact. This is the kind of stuff legal actions come from.

Having worked in a service based organization through my carrier it is never wise to tweak adjustments or make modifications to get a result. It often has side effects that are not desired and may not be realized till later. Like in an accident.
Old 09-15-11, 06:01 AM
us088374
Driver School Candidate

I just saw a survey from Lexus about seat warmers and knee warmers. Seems they are thinking about adding knee warmers at a cost of course to replace or augment the seat warmers that no longer work. What a joke. It worked before go back to what worked and quit trying to increase cost to the owners with something new.
Old 09-15-11, 12:21 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The X Men
Its just like that McDonald hot coffee law suit, someone makes a mistake and everybody has to suffer.
There's a good documentary on HBO about tort reform that you should watch. The hot coffee thing at McDonalds is not what everyone thinks it is.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joanne..._b_884318.html

Last edited by krypttic; 09-15-11 at 12:24 PM. Reason: added link
Old 09-19-11, 08:07 AM
us088374
Driver School Candidate

Just remember as a costumer you should have the responsibility to use the product or service safely. Drinking hot coffee while driving is looking for trouble. Your stupidity should not be replaced by providers responsibility. You purchased the product. If you could not handle it you should not have been trying.

Yes injury will sometimes occur. but who should be the responsible party when it happens?
Old 04-09-17, 04:09 PM
geoleo
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 2010 3 gen rx350 bought used. My heated seats do not work!! No lights on switch comes on . Cant feel anything when switch is on high. What can it be ? The fuses are OK. HELP?? Can it be the switch? Thanks
Old 04-11-17, 08:21 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

2010 RXh here, and we have the heated and ventilated seats as well. The seat heater is FAST in ours. There have been a number of times I've gotten in at the end of the week after my wife having driven it all week, and within 1 mile of the house, I get this sudden rush of FIRE on my backside and realize she still has the seat heater on! It's been perfectly adequate for us. I DO wish, though, that the seat "ventilator" was cold A/C air instead of ambient cabin air. I can eventually feel the effect of the cooler ventilated setting, but it's nothing in comparison to truly cooled seats which use A/C air. I'm tempted to look for a way to use some flexible tubing/hose to duct some A/C/ air into the ventilator fan intake to help keep my own buns cooler.
Old 04-12-17, 07:16 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I have always wondered if we need to clean the intake of the fan for this ventilation on our seats.

I would assume it will be a big deal, the seat will probably taken out.

If there is reduced air coming out of the holes, something is blocking or restricting the air.
Old 04-12-17, 09:15 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Pete, try the little fix MEP came up with. And direct the vents to floor level if they're not already set that way (i.e. not in auto mode).

Quick Reply: RX350 Ventilated Seats