RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

When you bought your RX what did you compare it to while shopping?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-10, 08:56 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=nyranger74;5120646]
Originally Posted by jclem
Just curious, If you feel the X5 is far superior, why didn't you get the X7 instead of the RX450h? Was it price or styling or ?? I never tested the X5, but I sure do like the looks.[/QUOT

There is no such thing as an X7. I was talking about a 750Li. And I didn't get it cause I have a wife.
Oops, got it confused with the Q7. BMW has X3 & X5 and Audi has Q5 & Q7 I imagine the Audi handles great, but I don't like it's nose. I'd be interested to hear how you feel about your 2 cars 10 or 15k miles down the road. Enjoy!
Old 01-06-10, 10:00 AM
nyranger74
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 23K on my 2008 X5. As far as the ride goes, its amazing. The handling is better than most cars. The tech however is old and stale. It takes 2 minutes for the screen to load. I have to wait to back up if I want to use the back-up camera. The tech on the Lexus is really good. The HDD Navigation is superfast. The resolution of the back up camera compared to the X5 is amazing. I feel the RX is more of a woman's car.
Old 01-06-10, 10:41 AM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

Have any of you seen the new Acura ZDX? The dealer by us just got one on the lot. This is the thing designed to compete against the BMW X6. I don't know what to make of the thing. The outside design looks best in dark colors like black or burgundy. The interior looks to be one of the best Acura has done. It really is for people who only use the back seats occasionally or have small kids.
Old 01-06-10, 10:44 AM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

[QUOTE=jclem;5120967]
Originally Posted by nyranger74

Oops, got it confused with the Q7. BMW has X3 & X5 and Audi has Q5 & Q7 I imagine the Audi handles great, but I don't like it's nose. I'd be interested to hear how you feel about your 2 cars 10 or 15k miles down the road. Enjoy!
I traded in the Q7 on the Lexus. The audi was great getting through the snow but difficult to stop due to its heavy weight in the snow. In the Audi forums most people in true snow country had to put snow tires on to make the audi safe. I can tell you that several times in light snow I slid through intersections even when I was trying to be cautious. However , the technology and interior build quality on the Audi was amazing.
Old 01-06-10, 12:30 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Mdkellys, the Q7's quattro system is better in the snow than RX350, but as you know, AWD only help with accelartion and not stopping. Chances are, the difference in stop between your Q7 and the RX is the tires. Audi like to use performance all season tires. I have known people here in NE that use a good M+S all season tires on their Audi and never had to change over to snow tires.
Old 01-06-10, 03:35 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I compared a lot of cars, over ~ 6 months.

- Toyota Venza. Ride was too rough, and the 20" wheels were idiotic.

- Audi Q5. Nice, but too small. And to get leather, the main option package added ~ $9K to the base price, making it more expensive than the stripped RX350...

- Audi Q7. Boat-like, wallowed in corners. Too large for an urban area with parking garages.

- Rx350. Body lean in corners, great otherwise.

- Cadillac SRX. Too springy and wallowing. Unimpressive fit and finish.

- Acura MDX. Hated the cockpit design, too claustrophobic. Harsh ride too.

- Saturn Vue. Too small.

- Saturn Outlook. Surprisingly nice, but bigger than I wanted. Didn't need seating for 8.

- Ford Edge. This handled well, drove well, and was my second choice. Downside: AWD tranny has had issues, as has the panoramic moonroof.

- Lincoln MX. The Edge was the same car, and about $10K cheaper. The Lincoln got into Lexus price territory...

In the end, the RX350 fit everything I wanted, but the handling was a bit squishy. So I ordered one with the sport suspension, and the result was exactly what I hoped for - better handling, only slightly harsher ride.

Sandi
Old 01-06-10, 03:50 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

In addition to the Cadillac SRX, I think it would be more comfortable sitting on the roof father than driving the caddy.
Old 01-06-10, 04:30 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mdkellys
Have any of you seen the new Acura ZDX? The dealer by us just got one on the lot. This is the thing designed to compete against the BMW X6. I don't know what to make of the thing. The outside design looks best in dark colors like black or burgundy. The interior looks to be one of the best Acura has done. It really is for people who only use the back seats occasionally or have small kids.
IMO, I don't like how it looks. But, ZDX's technology and SH-AWD are great and ahead of many of vehicles. X6 is learning from SH-AWD. This is the trend of Acura.
Old 01-06-10, 04:40 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jclem
Just curious, If you feel the X5 is far superior, why didn't you get the X7 instead of the RX450h? Was it price or styling or ?? I never tested the X5, but I sure do like the looks.
[QUOTE=The G Man;5120894]
Originally Posted by nyranger74

Lol, I wish there was a X7
BMW did talk about X7 before, but couldn't see to gain the profit from this series. Maybe you can try ActiveHybrid X6 now, which could be the high end SUV from BMW.

X7
Attached Thumbnails When you bought your RX what did you compare it to while shopping?-bmw_x7_news_image.jpg  
Old 01-06-10, 04:47 PM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

MB ML350 BlueTEC (against 450H), both fully loaded 61K.
The tech on MB was old in comparison, especially Nav system.
Old 01-06-10, 05:13 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I looked at and drove a lot of different SUV's prior to selecting the RX350. Most fell out of competition early. The ML350 was not very comfortable and with similar equipment it was almost $4000 more than the RX. The SRX was slow, rough riding, had strange engine/transmission interactions, and cost more than the RX. The MDX seemed cumbersome to drive and the road noise was very high. With similar options, it was more expensive. It was also ugly.

My 3 finalists were the Lincoln MKX, the Audi Q5, and the RX. The Lincoln was very nice in some areas but was short in cargo area. The only ones available here had 20" wheels so the ride was a bit stiff. It was also priced at RX levels and the local dealer would not match the deal I got on the RX.

I liked the Q5 a lot, but it was a bit smaller in rear seat space, interior width, and particularly in cargo area. The handling was nice, but the low speed ride was stiff. The low speed acceleration was also sluggish compared to the RX. The final straw was the delivered price which was quite a bit higher than the RX pricing.

I selected the RX because it was the best compromise for what I wanted: smooth quiet ride, adequate interior and cargo room, reasonable performance and fuel economy, and good price.

I have previous good experience with the local Lexus dealer service department so anything else would have to be significantly better and/or cheaper to convince me to change. As it was, the RX was actually the cheapest out the door price of the real competitors.
Steve
Old 01-06-10, 07:19 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by deusex
MB ML350 BlueTEC (against 450H), both fully loaded 61K.
The tech on MB was old in comparison, especially Nav system.
I really couldn't figure out MB's Navi... headache.

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I looked at and drove a lot of different SUV's prior to selecting the RX350. Most fell out of competition early. The ML350 was not very comfortable and with similar equipment it was almost $4000 more than the RX. The SRX was slow, rough riding, had strange engine/transmission interactions, and cost more than the RX. The MDX seemed cumbersome to drive and the road noise was very high. With similar options, it was more expensive. It was also ugly.

My 3 finalists were the Lincoln MKX, the Audi Q5, and the RX. The Lincoln was very nice in some areas but was short in cargo area. The only ones available here had 20" wheels so the ride was a bit stiff. It was also priced at RX levels and the local dealer would not match the deal I got on the RX.

I liked the Q5 a lot, but it was a bit smaller in rear seat space, interior width, and particularly in cargo area. The handling was nice, but the low speed ride was stiff. The low speed acceleration was also sluggish compared to the RX. The final straw was the delivered price which was quite a bit higher than the RX pricing.

I selected the RX because it was the best compromise for what I wanted: smooth quiet ride, adequate interior and cargo room, reasonable performance and fuel economy, and good price.

I have previous good experience with the local Lexus dealer service department so anything else would have to be significantly better and/or cheaper to convince me to change. As it was, the RX was actually the cheapest out the door price of the real competitors.
Steve
Best compromise choice with very attractive price tag...
Old 01-06-10, 08:15 PM
Islanti
Driver School Candidate

For me the first choice was the Highlander. I wasn't able to find any 2009/2010 Highlander Limited with the options I wanted however. I needed to take delivery by the end of the year of a vehicle for a promotion I had access to do I ended up stepping up to the RX350.
Old 01-07-10, 08:00 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
Audi Q5. Nice, but too small. And to get leather, the main option package added ~ $9K to the base price, making it more expensive than the stripped RX350...

Sandi
I think you are confusing the Q5 with the RX350, all Q5 come standrad with leather and the RX350's leather is optional. Although leather is pretty much a forced option on all RX350.

Last edited by The G Man; 01-07-10 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-07-10, 08:45 AM
LexFather

This thread is for people who bought a RX and what they compared it to or even if you didn't buy a RX but you considered it.

This thread is not for personal points to be made that have nothing to do with the OPs original question.

Quick Reply: When you bought your RX what did you compare it to while shopping?