ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015-212/)
-   -   Non-Nav Voice Commands? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015/469647-non-nav-voice-commands.html)

swtsae 12-13-09 07:44 PM

Non-Nav Voice Commands?

Do the Non-Nav RX's still have voice command features? How does one make a call on Bluetooth on the Non-nav version?

Sandi_k 12-13-09 08:09 PM

Absolutely it does.

To make a call, you must pair the phone with the Blutooth system. Once you've done so, you can simply hit the icon on the steering wheel (man in profile with lips) and say:

Dial by number (or name, if your contacts have been transferred).
It repeats, dial by number, then you hit the profile icon again.
Then you say the number (1-800-555-1212)
and it repeats the number and displays it on screen.

If the number is correct, you then press the icon of the phone with the receiver off the hook, and it will dial the number for you.

You end the call by pressing the button with the phone (showing receiver ON the hook).

Easy. And the voice recognition is working really well for me thus far.

Sandi

swtsae 12-14-09 05:36 AM

Sandi_k, thanks for the response. So when someone calls in, does the number of the person calling in show somewhere?

Besides the making calls what other items can be controlled via voice command. Glad to hear it's standard and not just on the Nav. I'm kinda torn whether I should go Nav or not. But $2k for Nav and a cool looking remote mouse seem a bit excessive.

Any other pics of the interior from a Non-Nav?

Originally Posted by Sandi_k (Post 5072266)
Absolutely it does.

To make a call, you must pair the phone with the Blutooth system. Once you've done so, you can simply hit the icon on the steering wheel (man in profile with lips) and say:

Dial by number (or name, if your contacts have been transferred).
It repeats, dial by number, then you hit the profile icon again.
Then you say the number (1-800-555-1212)
and it repeats the number and displays it on screen.

If the number is correct, you then press the icon of the phone with the receiver off the hook, and it will dial the number for you.

You end the call by pressing the button with the phone (showing receiver ON the hook).

Easy. And the voice recognition is working really well for me thus far.

Sandi

DigMyM35x 12-14-09 06:59 AM

I don't mean to hijack the thread here but I have a quick question for you Sandi (or anyone else for that matter).

I find that the dialing is a bit odd on the RX's. I had the same issue with our 2 previous models as well.

I don't drive the car all that often but I'm thinking I'm missing something here.

When I try to use voice dialing via bluetooth, I can get to the point where the number is repeated (i.e. no issues with recognition, entering the numbers, etc.) but when I get the command to say 'dial' or press the off-hook button to dial the call the button press never seems to work consistently.

I'm sure this is user error but I often just take the extra step of saying 'dial' because it seems much more reliable.

At what point to you hit the off-hook button and do you have to depress the button for a few seconds? Can you do this while the number is being repeated to save some time?

Thanks in advance!

Jay

Sandi_k 12-14-09 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by swtsae (Post 5072933)
Sandi_k, thanks for the response. So when someone calls in, does the number of the person calling in show somewhere?

Yes, it shows up in the LCD screen.

Originally Posted by swtsae (Post 5072933)
Besides the making calls what other items can be controlled via voice command. Glad to hear it's standard and not just on the Nav. I'm kinda torn whether I should go Nav or not. But $2k for Nav and a cool looking remote mouse seem a bit excessive.

Yep. I really didn't want to pay for it either, since I have Verizon Nav on my phone, and it works well. I'd rather put the $2K extra into my retirement funds. :D

Sandi

Sandi_k 12-14-09 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by DigMyM35x (Post 5073024)
I don't mean to hijack the thread here but I have a quick question for you Sandi (or anyone else for that matter).

I find that the dialing is a bit odd on the RX's. I had the same issue with our 2 previous models as well.

I don't drive the car all that often but I'm thinking I'm missing something here.

When I try to use voice dialing via bluetooth, I can get to the point where the number is repeated (i.e. no issues with recognition, entering the numbers, etc.) but when I get the command to say 'dial' or press the off-hook button to dial the call the button press never seems to work consistently.

I'm sure this is user error but I often just take the extra step of saying 'dial' because it seems much more reliable.

At what point to you hit the off-hook button and do you have to depress the button for a few seconds?

I hit the off-hook button to dial as soon as the viewscreen accurately shows the number to dial (I don't have the contacts transferred over yet, just the phone paired for now).

Originally Posted by DigMyM35x (Post 5073024)
Can you do this while the number is being repeated to save some time?

Thanks in advance!

Jay

Yes, you can.

Side profile, say dial by number
It says dial - I cut it off, hit the profile button again, and speak the number.
It shows the number, starts to say it, and I cut it off by pressing off-hook button to dial.

Pretty quick, all in all....

Sandi

DigMyM35x 12-19-09 06:36 AM

Thanks Sandi - I'll give that a shot. I'm still surprised at how confused I am with this simple thing considering I'm pretty tech savvy. Maybe it's just because I'm waiting for the repeat instead of cutting that off.

Do you have to hold down the off-hook button or just a quick press?

Sheesh - I feel like an idiot :)

Jay

STDave 12-20-09 04:00 PM

Sandi,
We just got a non-navigation RX also and can cal out and all, but it sounds scratchy , very distant on the callers end. Is there an adjustment that can remedy this. We have taken it back to our dealer twice now and they say it is out phone. We have Iphone 3G. We have a friend that has an IS250 with nav and her's is plain as talking to her face to face.
Sorry for jacking the thread :(
TIA
David

Sandi_k 12-20-09 10:21 PM

Dave, the dealer can hook up their diagnostic computer, and boost the sound level for you.

Sandi

swtsae 12-25-09 06:15 AM

Can interior climate and audio be controlled via voice command on the non-nav?

Sandi_k 12-26-09 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by swtsae (Post 5097115)
Can interior climate and audio be controlled via voice command on the non-nav?

No. It's bluetooth control only that does voice recognition. For the climate and audio, there are these things called buttons.

:D

Sandi