RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3RX Front seats are uncomfortable (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-11, 07:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by drrjv
A better solution would be for Lexus to have better seats. I have no problems with my VW (at 1/2 the price of the Lexus) and our old 2003 MDX is more comfortable.

We both have problems with the seats and will just bear with it, as we mostly do short trips (which are bearable). I have a Tush Cush on order too!
I hope the Tush Cush works out for you. Let us know if it works.

OTOH, some people would find the seats in the VW and MDX uncomfortable. It's pretty subjective and varies by person. As mentioned above, no car's seats regardless of price will be comfortable to 100% of people.
Old 09-12-11, 08:46 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A better solution would be for Lexus to have better seats. I have no problems with my VW (at 1/2 the price of the Lexus) and our old 2003 MDX is more comfortable.

We both have problems with the seats and will just bear with it, as we mostly do short trips (which are bearable). I have a Tush Cush on order too!
It's a good thing you're in the market for cars like Maserati or even a Z4. You will be disappointed with those seats.
And yeah our RX 350 seats are far superior than the Range.
Old 09-12-11, 09:09 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One would have to take a poll, but I imagine that the vast majority of owners find the RX seats to be comfortable by their standards. I found my 2002 MDX to have comfortable seats, but find my current RX450h seats to be extremely comfortable and better than my past MDX seats in long trips. Everyone's comfort level with seats will be different.
Old 06-18-12, 11:10 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RX seats uncomfortable?

I really like our 2010 RX! So much in fact, that I bought an IS350 for me to drive! My wife, however SWEARS that she can't make the seats comfortable. Personally, I don't understand. They adjustable in every way imaginable, and also have adjustable lumbar support. She says she feels like she is sliding off the front of the seat, and is constantly having to sit up straight. I've made sure that the front of the seat is as high as possible, and the back is as low as possible, but it just doesn't help.

Does anyone else have this issue? I don't remember ever reading a complaint about the seats in this forum, so I'm thinking it is unique to us. I would like to keep this car for a while, and the prospects don't look good if she can't sit in it comfortably. I would sure like to help her fix it!
Old 06-18-12, 01:50 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok, some questions to give us a good picture.
What car/SUV seat does your wife consider as "comfy"? ( previous cars that you've owned?)
What's your wife's TRUE height and weight?

We have a friend who is an Ex vollleyball player (6 ft 2 inches) and she's on her 2nd RX 350.
Old 06-18-12, 06:58 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

She is not alone. My wife doesn't consider them comfortable either. For me, I consider them average ... certainly nothing special. A disappointment because average after spending this much money doesn't cut it for me. In my wife's case, I suspect that the headrest angle and position may be partly to blame. In my case, I just have not given it a lot of thought. But, I suspect it is a combination of the seat and the ride quality of the car. Sorry I can't be more specific, but they are just not as relaxing and comfortable as I expected. I am an athlete and pretty light and slim by American standards ... perhaps I am just to light for the seat design.

I do like the ventilation feature in the seat and do feel they are well made.

If I had one suggestion to make, adjust the angle of the seat back so the headrest allows your wife to be comfortable and feeling like she is not holding her head forward.
Old 06-18-12, 07:45 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy

I don't particularly like the headrest angle myself! I'm male, 6'3" and I definitely appreciate how tall the seat is. It does, however, feel like I can't really lean my head back and relax. I haven't looked in the manual yet but I was hoping there was a way to adjust the angle. Boo!
Old 06-18-12, 09:33 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

They feel like ur sitting on rocks when u have a kidney stone and ur in severe pain. Other then that they are okay. Nothing special.
Old 06-19-12, 05:56 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I have been driving RX's since 1998, and I've found them to be comfortable. I'm 6'2". I go to the auto shows and the most comfortable seats by far are in the Buick LaCross.
Old 06-19-12, 08:20 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am 6'2". When I first sat in my RX I did think that this seat needed some adjustment. After playing with the seat controls I am quite comfortable with the adjustments that I made. It stands up to the test of a long trip without any discomfort.
Old 06-19-12, 08:23 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
...What car/SUV seat does your wife consider as "comfy"? ( previous cars that you've owned?)
What's your wife's TRUE height and weight?
My wife is average height, and a bit above average weight (which might well contribute). She likes the seats in my IS, but loved the seats in the GMC Acadia we traded up from a couple of years ago. Personally, I like the seats, and I'm 6'2" and 210 pounds. My son is 6'10" and 245, and is perfectly comfortable in the car.

Originally Posted by UCSB
... If I had one suggestion to make, adjust the angle of the seat back so the headrest allows your wife to be comfortable and feeling like she is not holding her head forward.
The headrests might be an issue. We drove a Ford Edge once for about a block before she said she couldn't take it anymore. The headrest kept bumping her head forward, so we were paying attention to this when we bought the RX. It didn't seem to be an issue in the RX at the time, but maybe something has changed. She used to sit VERY upright, and has slowly moved to a more reclined position in recent years. Maybe she just doesn't bend as well as she used to.

It took me years to get her to buy leather seats, because she thought they were too slippery. I think making them less slippery (?) might be the best work around in this case, so I've been thinking about seat covers. I would sure hate to cover the leather seats, though! Bad memories of plastic seat covers in my grandfather's car in the 60's, I guess.

Anyway, thanks again for all the ideas! I have something to think about, now!

Last edited by User 41924; 06-19-12 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-19-12, 08:27 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Some days the seat is FINE, other days it needs adjustments. However, it is comfy enough for me to do two 14-hours trips (all by myself).
Old 08-25-12, 03:23 AM
MsRyter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a longtime RX owner (2001 330) who has recently been shopping the 2013 RX 350. I've been dismayed at the uncomfortable seats, mostly on the passenger side. It's not a tush issue, but back pain caused by the angle of the head rest/restraint. I've only been on test drives, but have tried adjusting the angle and lumbar support and so on and yet had backaches from even short rides. I am 5-4. My 5-8 husband had no such issue, but could feel what I was talking about when I had him scooch down four inches to see what I was feeling. The salesman admitted this is a problem for shorter women, such as his 5-foot tall wife, who is more comfortable in a 2008 model than a 2013. Apparently the seats were redesigned to meet new govt specs for the headrest to provide whiplash support. The active headrest will move in a collision but otherwise is not adjustable. I don't know if there are any aftermarket pillows or anything similar to help. My 2001 has very comfy seats and a 2010 that I test drove seemed fairly comfy too; I'm mainly noticing this in brand new models (a couple we drove still had factory wrapping on the seats). I don't know if the discomfort is something that goes away as the leather seats break in or what. Would love to hear others' comments on this. I really wanted a new RX but this issue may keep me from buying...
Old 08-25-12, 08:07 AM
StLucchese
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

big difference between the 2nd vs 3rd gen seats. Both comfy, but the 2nd gen is more plush and supposely suited with female drivers...from what i read. 3rd gen is more of a sportier seat and not as plush as the 2nd gen. and most male drivers prefer the 3rd. over the 2nd gen. model

Within the past couple of months with 3 loaners- (all 3rd gen. RX's) the BOLSTERS made the difference between mine vs. the newer RX.

I personally like the 3rd. gen seats and armrest better than my 2008. I think the BOLSTERS hold me better in the cockpit than 2nd. model so really look into it and compare. Better suspension and handling is also factors as well. Im 5"8 and a medium athletic bulid if that helps.

Last edited by StLucchese; 08-26-12 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-25-12, 04:50 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Is Lexus service incompetent? Does a bear sh@#t in the woods?
I'm coming up on five years with my '08 and Lexus of Chester Springs, PA has been the most competent dealership I've ever dealt with. I had a '98 MB CLK320 and service there was very good as well. The only complaint I have with either of these is the "luxury car service/repair tax" that comes with owning one of their vehicles.

Quick Reply: 3RX Front seats are uncomfortable (merged threads)