RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 Transmission Oil Change (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-18, 05:08 PM
Aleximus
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great info Tempestv8. Your linked video makes the drain and fill look so simple that it is very tempting to DIY. I'll take a looksie at my RX once I have it back from the dealer, to assess a go at it.
Old 03-23-18, 02:09 AM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

If you are going to do it yourself, the most important step is to undo the fill plug first! No point draining out all the fluid and then realising that you can't open the fill plug.
Old 03-23-18, 04:13 AM
Aleximus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tempestv8
If you are going to do it yourself, the most important step is to undo the fill plug first! No point draining out all the fluid and then realising that you can't open the fill plug.
+1

Roger that.
Old 03-23-18, 05:21 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
Actually not so! If you read what they consider severe use it is what we encounter everyday in our life, like, short trips, dusty environment, too cold or too hot temperature and more ( I don't have in front of me all of what they consider severe) towing a trailer above a certain weight is certainly one of them, once you read this you realize that normal use is something so fleeting that it can't be captured by us mere mortals.
Now you sound just like the Jiffy Lube tech that was always telling everyone that all cars are driven in severe conditions to justify the 3K oil changes.
Old 03-23-18, 05:30 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Now you sound just like the Jiffy Lube tech that was always telling everyone that all cars are driven in severe conditions to justify the 3K oil changes.
If here is one thing that I would NEVER do is to even get close to one of those dens of iniquity!
Old 03-23-18, 03:37 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Once again, if you think you know more about the engineering of the vehicle or the fluids than the people that wrote the manual or the service advisors at the Lexus dealerships you are always at liberty to do whatever you wish with your car. I know where my money is.
Not even the person that wrote the manual, or service advisors, how about the DESIGN ENGINEERS AND THE MECHANICAL ENGINEERS !
You know, the same engineers that make these cars what they are today .. ... let that sink in. ..
Old 03-23-18, 04:16 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Guys .. give it a rest.

Fair warning.

Salim
Old 03-23-18, 04:17 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Aleximus
Great info Tempestv8. Your linked video makes the drain and fill look so simple that it is very tempting to DIY. I'll take a looksie at my RX once I have it back from the dealer, to assess a go at it.
I just realised that the video I shared is for the RX450H - which I've previously shared in the Hybrid section. So for non hybrid transmissions, e.g. RX350, the drain and fill plugs are in very different locations, and the process is a bit different because the fluid level needs to be checked at a certain temperature.

On my other vehicle which is a conventional 6 speed auto (Toyota AB60F) I decided to do a fluid check, as the fluid was last changed 100,000 kms ago. This transmission uses the same Toyota WS fluid and even the service maintenance booklet has the same change interval as the RX350/RX450h - I was a little overdue by 20,000 kms. I proceeded to drop the fluid today to have a look, expecting it to be in poor condition, as my vehicle is operated in "severe" conditions; I tow a caravan away on summer holidays, and it's been 3 summers since the last fluid change. Much to my surprise, the old fluid was in pretty good condition as can be seen from this video clip.

Perhaps there is some credence to the "lifetime" properties of the Toyota WS fluid. Still, it was a huge contrast to the 45,000 km old fluid that came out of the RX450h. Perhaps instead of replacing fluid, it may be sufficient just to check the fluid by undoing the drain bolt and letting a small amount of fluid seep out, and just checking it before going to all the trouble of draining and filling the transmission.

Last edited by tempestv8; 03-24-18 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Grammar correction
Old 03-23-18, 04:22 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Guys .. give it a rest.

Fair warning.

Salim
I could not agree more. Over and out.
Old 03-24-18, 06:03 AM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

How about a crowd sourced "science" experiment by various people getting fluids analyzed when they change it and posting results here? There are many variables that will be different which is why "science" is in quotes but i think that's the closest that we can bring some science to this discussion. Too bad that I didn't get a sample from my last tranny change so it will be at least another three years for the sample from my 2011 driven in -30C to +30C, city driving commute (average of 30 kph), long drives on highways. Anyone?
Old 03-24-18, 08:38 AM
HaywardLex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a neighbor who owns a transmission shop here in northern Wisconsin ( he's owned and operated the shop for 30 plus years) I talked to him about this issue, and he told me that these transmissions are really over built and will go 300K without a fluid change. He did qualify that by saying if you pull heavy loads a lot or off road it where you would get into deeper water , like crossing a stream, then yes change it. He also said do not have it changed using the machine exchange type methods. If you do change it he recommends using only the WS fluid and dropping the pan. I asked how many he sees in for repairs and he told me maybe 1 or 2 in the last few years, and those had signs of moisture and very hard use and higher miles. So when the manual says don't change and the transmission fluid and the shop says don't change unless you ford streams or pull heavy loads I'll go with that and take my chances, mine only sees roads and normal driving conditions. I have a 2005 GX with 145K and a 2012 RX with 86K and both have had zero problems and shift smoothly.
Old 03-24-18, 04:48 PM
Aleximus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lex_rx
How about a crowd sourced "science" experiment by various people getting fluids analyzed when they change it and posting results here? There are many variables that will be different which is why "science" is in quotes but i think that's the closest that we can bring some science to this discussion. Too bad that I didn't get a sample from my last tranny change so it will be at least another three years for the sample from my 2011 driven in -30C to +30C, city driving commute (average of 30 kph), long drives on highways. Anyone?
I think that this would be a fun extra curricular activity, but I wonder if it would be cheap to ship oil to get analyzed and back.
Old 03-24-18, 05:00 PM
Aleximus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HaywardLex
I have a neighbor who owns a transmission shop here in northern Wisconsin ( he's owned and operated the shop for 30 plus years) I talked to him about this issue, and he told me that these transmissions are really over built and will go 300K without a fluid change. He did qualify that by saying if you pull heavy loads a lot or off road it where you would get into deeper water , like crossing a stream, then yes change it. He also said do not have it changed using the machine exchange type methods. If you do change it he recommends using only the WS fluid and dropping the pan. I asked how many he sees in for repairs and he told me maybe 1 or 2 in the last few years, and those had signs of moisture and very hard use and higher miles. So when the manual says don't change and the transmission fluid and the shop says don't change unless you ford streams or pull heavy loads I'll go with that and take my chances, mine only sees roads and normal driving conditions. I have a 2005 GX with 145K and a 2012 RX with 86K and both have had zero problems and shift smoothly.
This is interesting info indeed. I think that for now I'll just keep observing my tranny's shifting finesse and take notes. My 2012 with 105k shifts ok but you can tell that there is a slight stickiness between gear changes. Like more viscosity would help to lube these gear changes hand offs.

Last edited by Aleximus; 03-24-18 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-24-18, 05:09 PM
Aleximus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tempestv8
I just realised that the video I shared is for the RX450H - which I've previously shared in the Hybrid section. So for non hybrid transmissions, e.g. RX350, the drain and fill plugs are in very different locations, and the process is a bit different because the fluid level needs to be checked at a certain temperature.

On my other vehicle which is a conventional 6 speed auto (Toyota AB60F) I decided to do a fluid check, as the fluid was last changed 100,000 kms ago. This transmission uses the same Toyota WS fluid and even the service maintenance booklet has the same change interval as the RX350/RX450h - I was a little overdue by 20,000 kms. I proceeded to drop the fluid today to have a look, expecting it to be in poor condition, as my vehicle is operated in "severe" conditions; I tow a caravan away on summer holidays, and it's been 3 summers since the last fluid change. Much to my surprise, the old fluid was in pretty good condition as can be seen from this video clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZRNPl-D1bY

Perhaps there is some credence to the "lifetime" properties of the Toyota WS fluid. Still, it was a huge contrast to the 45,000 km old fluid that came out of the RX450h. Perhaps instead of replacing fluid, it may be sufficient just to check the fluid by undoing the drain bolt and letting a small amount of fluid seep out, and just checking it before going to all the trouble of draining and filling the transmission.
Thanks for the follow. I got cold feet to the tranny drain and fill due to the intricate manner to measure the oil level.
I think that I'll just take it in the chin like drunk guy vs Mayweather on his way to his main event, and pay the $180 to the dealer eventually.
Old 03-26-18, 07:04 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Just do a cold drain and fill and ignore the insane Toyota temperature dependent procedure. Make sure your vehicle has sat overnight and the new fluid stored in the same location so both are at the same temperature. Drain the fluid, you do not really have to raise it up. Remove the fill bolt first, which is easily accessed via the driver side front wheel well. On the drain plug, be sure to remove the overflow plug after you take out the cover plug. Carefully measure how much fluid drained out (about 2 quarts) and replace exactly that amount plus about 4 ounces extra for spillage. I have done this 4 times on the RX and several more times on my old MINI Cooper that had an Aisin transmission with the same procedure. It has always worked and my vehicle shifts great. It is as easy as changing your oil.
The following users liked this post:
mjdgarage (07-21-23)

Quick Reply: RX350 Transmission Oil Change (merged threads)