RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Extended warranty and Schedules maintenance plan

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-09, 10:25 AM
ronf119
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty and Schedules maintenance plan

I just recently purchased a 2010 RX350 and was looking at getting an extended warranty. I don't recall the exact price the dealer gave me, but it was on the high side. Does anyone have a good contact for getting a Lexus warranty. I did a quick google search but came up empty.

Also, what's the consensus on prepaying for the scheduled maintenance. Dealer was offering 5 years coverage for $ and said it covered all services for 60months. My gut tells me not to bother but figured i'd ask

thanks
Old 09-18-09, 10:30 AM
ebarron
Driver School Candidate

The dealer wanted 2900 for my warranty (too much) and about $2000 for service.
The problem with the service is that included everything (oil changes etc) being done at the dealership. I just couldnt see going to a Lexus dealer for oil changes (they arent close). Seemed pricey too.
Old 09-18-09, 11:51 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ebarron
The dealer wanted 2900 for my warranty (too much) and about $2000 for service.
The problem with the service is that included everything (oil changes etc) being done at the dealership. I just couldnt see going to a Lexus dealer for oil changes (they arent close). Seemed pricey too.
I was offered the same service price and gave the same answer you did. Yes it's pricey for those that have the extra if you want piece of mind and easy then you're the one that has to decide how to spend your money.

Personally I'm going to ask them how much to change the oil & filter and rotate the tires if I bring the oil. If it's substantially cheaper, then every 5000 miles I'll be at Wallmart buying my oil .
Old 09-18-09, 11:58 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ronf119
I just recently purchased a 2010 RX350 and was looking at getting an extended warranty. I don't recall the exact price the dealer gave me, but it was on the high side. Does anyone have a good contact for getting a Lexus warranty. I did a quick google search but came up empty.

Also, what's the consensus on prepaying for the scheduled maintenance. Dealer was offering 5 years coverage for $ and said it covered all services for 60months. My gut tells me not to bother but figured i'd ask

thanks
Talk to this guy Troy, he works for Toyota of Springfield, MA. He will sell you a Lexus warranty for about 30 to 40% off the dealer's price:

http://fd-warranty.com/

Keep in mind that you have until the last day of the factory 4 year warranty to buy the extended warranty. I usually wait until the last 6 months.

How much do they want for the schedule maintence contract? The draw back to those contract is that you ahve to go back to that dealer. Also, if you do just the fluid and filter changes at the dealer, its alot cheaper than the price of that plan.
Old 09-18-09, 03:11 PM
the lof
Driver School Candidate

Best to wait till your in the third year of your factory warranty. With my 04 rx, I purchased a plan from a Lexus dealer in New Jersey ($950 for 2 year extension). Found the the dealer on the web, prices I was quoted from other dealers, reached as high as $1,700 for the same warranty. One phone call and it was done.
Old 09-18-09, 08:17 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Talk to this guy Troy, he works for Toyota of Springfield, MA. He will sell you a Lexus warranty for about 30 to 40% off the dealer's price:

http://fd-warranty.com/

Keep in mind that you have until the last day of the factory 4 year warranty to buy the extended warranty. I usually wait until the last 6 months.

How much do they want for the schedule maintence contract? The draw back to those contract is that you ahve to go back to that dealer. Also, if you do just the fluid and filter changes at the dealer, its alot cheaper than the price of that plan.
I got the quote from Troy in April. The quote he provided was almost 50% off the one my dealer first had offered. The warranty details are identical.
Old 09-19-09, 03:37 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great find G-Man!

The warranties are 50% to %100% markup for the dealers so it always makes sense to find a dealer that's ok 'only' making 25%-50% on the extended warranties.

Usually you can find someone willing to make a decent profit while providing a good deal.

We are on a lease but if I bought our RX I would definitely be giving this guy a call. It's not easy to find the people that do this but it's well worth it when you do. Thanks again G!

One thing to be careful about when bargain shopping for extended warranties is that you get the actual Lexus warranty - not a third party. I'm sure that Troy's Toyota dealership allows him to sell Lexus warranties but I'm always skeptical of a non-manufacturer's extended warranty so be careful when you look for these deals on the internet, etc. if you don't have confirmation that others have had success.

Good deal! Love to find these gems on the boards.

Jay
Old 09-19-09, 10:07 AM
ronf119
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the info. i contacted him and awaiting a reply. If anyone decides to get a honda/acura or has a honda/acura and wants an extended warranty, i have a great guy that sells honda america warranties.
Old 09-22-09, 11:53 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Troy sells only Genuine Lexus warranty, many people have bought from him with no problem.
The following users liked this post:
kuli48 (02-03-19)
Old 09-22-09, 01:57 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
Troy sells only Genuine Lexus warranty, many people have bought from him with no problem.
Just ordered a 7/100 $0 Platinum for my RX from Troy... $1720 vs $2695 from the dealer. Waiting on the paperwork. If there are any issues, I'll be sure to post. Figure first model year and my wife (who doesn't have car commitment issues) will get this after a couple years... worth the additional coverage.
Old 09-22-09, 06:19 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

tazdevl, definitely let me know how it goes with Troy. I paid close to $2k back in 2003 for the same extended warranty on my 04 RX. BTW, I had the extended warranty on my 99 RX, purchased in October 1998. That was the first production year for the RX. The warranty paid for itself - bad A/C compressor - but after almost five years on the road.
Old 09-23-09, 04:21 AM
ebarron
Driver School Candidate

Its interesting that the warranty on the 450h is runnig about 450 more. I figured given all the hybrid parts pretty much have a 100K factory warranty the prices would be pretty similar, but I guess they're not.
Old 09-23-09, 10:13 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Its interesting that the warranty on the 450h is runnig about 450 more. I figured given all the hybrid parts pretty much have a 100K factory warranty the prices would be pretty similar, but I guess they're not.
More electronics and sophisticated drive system = more cost to repair. Also I'd bet the batteries ain't cheap.
Old 09-23-09, 10:54 AM
ebarron
Driver School Candidate

Yeah but, the base warranty is to 100K miles for all hybrid parts, so an extended warranty has nothing to cover.
Old 09-23-09, 01:24 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Yeah but, the base warranty is to 100K miles for all hybrid parts, so an extended warranty has nothing to cover.
Sure... everything on the inside and I'd read very carefully what is covered by the standard warranty.

Bumper falls off etc... Higher cost cars have higher costs for warranty. 1 computer in the car goes down and that extended warranty has probably paid for itself.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty and Schedules maintenance plan