RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

A/C - no button on dash?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-09, 01:13 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by yanje03
good to know it. how to turn on then? hold and fan up button for a couple of seconds?
yes, the opposite of what you do to turn off
Old 09-04-09, 03:09 PM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by klegrow
You can actually press and hold the fan down button for a couple of seconds and it shuts off the A/C as well.
on my rx, holding the button cuts the a/c off, but also cuts the fan off

turning the fan back on also turns the a/c back on

usually the purpose of turning off the a/c is to run in vent mode when it's cool out

on a side note,

i learned this week that when the fan is off, the vent is still open, unless you manually shut each vent port

Last edited by jskennedy; 09-04-09 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-04-09, 09:12 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jskennedy
on my rx, holding the button cuts the a/c off, but also cuts the fan off

turning the fan back on also turns the a/c back on

usually the purpose of turning off the a/c is to run in vent mode when it's cool out

on a side note,

i learned this week that when the fan is off, the vent is still open, unless you manually shut each vent port
If you have the NAV system, its not hard. Just go into the A/C settings and turn off the A/C button (icon). It's just not the old way of a switch or button on the dash, it's the 'new' way using the mouse . If you don't have that, you'll have to use the manual but I'm sure there is a way.
Old 09-04-09, 10:48 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

every time I want to turn on the A/C I have to go to the screen and do it with the mouse.
this is rediculous that Lexus did this....they should also put the Homelink buttons in the nav screens lol
Old 09-05-09, 05:39 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
If you have the NAV system, its not hard. Just go into the A/C settings and turn off the A/C button (icon). It's just not the old way of a switch or button on the dash, it's the 'new' way using the mouse . If you don't have that, you'll have to use the manual but I'm sure there is a way.
i do have nav & it turns off fine w/ the climate screen

was just trying the other posters method & found it didn't work for me
Old 09-05-09, 05:42 AM
klegrow
Rookie

To turn off the AC....
Press and hold the fan down for a couple of seconds, the Nav screen will display "fan off"

To turn on the AC....
Just push the Auto button

Tex...I agree with the dual thing....my wife always use it and I have to remember to go through the menu to turn off dual when she is gone
Old 09-17-09, 12:28 AM
guitarnyc
Driver School Candidate

I honestly always have the auto button on when I'm in the car. But the one thing that bugs me is that I can't find a way to "one touch" turn the AC off before turning the car off. I don't like to start the car with that extra strain of having the AC on. It's annoying that I have to push the fan down button until the AC is turned off Is there another way ?
Old 09-17-09, 02:02 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by guitarnyc
I honestly always have the auto button on when I'm in the car. But the one thing that bugs me is that I can't find a way to "one touch" turn the AC off before turning the car off. I don't like to start the car with that extra strain of having the AC on. It's annoying that I have to push the fan down button until the AC is turned off Is there another way ?
I just don't get it, why anybody would want to get A/C off? Ok, I understand if u alergic to A/C or very sensitive to dry air, then u always make it off and forget it, but in other way, why? U say u get cold, then don't make temperature any lower the 20 Celsius, and never have direct air to your open body places, usally face..
Old 09-17-09, 03:37 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarnyc
Having a hybrid, I don't worry about that, however even on my '03 RX, it was my understanding the compressor didn't engage the clutch (become a draw on the engine) until the engine was running. If so, wouldn't that still be the case?
Old 09-17-09, 04:41 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
this is rediculous that Lexus did this....they should also put the Homelink buttons in the nav screens lol
+1 pagemaster, sometimes the engineers at Lexus amaze me
Old 09-17-09, 10:06 AM
mkimball
Driver School Candidate

I mentioned this in another post about the a/c: I found a work around/handy trick for this...if you go into Vehicle settings, there is a place to stop the screens from flipping back...it freezes the screen to where you want it....then you go into Climate and leave it there so the A/C on/off button in the lower left corner is always easy to get at to click on/off with the mouse. I don't use the Nav very much so I have found this works great for me.
Old 06-17-14, 08:04 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry to bump up an old thread, but this is a real oversight & I am surprised there aren't more complaints about this.

When I am driving, I prefer to limit my time playing with that lill toggle joystick. Its potentially dangerous.
Old 06-17-14, 08:12 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by sirtiger
sorry to bump up an old thread, but this is a real oversight & I am surprised there aren't more complaints about this.

When I am driving, I prefer to limit my time playing with that lill toggle joystick. Its potentially dangerous.
I honestly couldn't care any less about the AC switch. I have one on my IS and don't think I've ever touched it. I just put it on AUTO and leave it, in both my RX and my IS.
The following users liked this post:
Randyp1234 (05-18-19)
Old 06-17-14, 08:18 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

^That's what I do too. I also use the temp adjustment buttons to make any changes depending on how hot or cold it is in the cabin. Works perfectly fine for me.
Old 06-17-14, 09:40 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
^That's what I do too. I also use the temp adjustment buttons to make any changes depending on how hot or cold it is in the cabin. Works perfectly fine for me.
+1 on all our cars, even the non Lexus, i just use the Auto button.
To all those looking for a designated AUTO button, i want to see your reaction when you get inside a TESLA.

Quick Reply: A/C - no button on dash?