ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015-212/)
-   -   Front seat ventilation cooling fan sound (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015/443573-front-seat-ventilation-cooling-fan-sound.html)

4482 07-29-09 08:02 PM

Front seat ventilation cooling fan sound

Today I noticed the sound for the first time that the front seat ventilation fan makes. I had the drivers seat running in the #3 cooling setting.(fast) At first I thought it was road noise from the tires. When I got home I turned on the fan in the front passenger side seat, and found it to have the same noise as the drivers side. It sounds like there really must be a very large fan used in the seat ventilation. I would say it's not a defect.
For the good job it does I guess I can put up with it.

Has anyone else noticed the sound/noise?

rxets 07-29-09 08:08 PM

I got that noise since Day 1 in May. It's easy to hear that when running in #3. Of couse, my radio/music isn't loud.

Well, talking about this seat ventilation, I think it's not working as fast as FX35's, and it's not really cooling down the back area on the seat, but the butt area is getting cold easily. IMO.

DOUS 07-29-09 09:18 PM

Mine is not loud at all but is not as strong either. And yes just seems to cool down the lower part of the seat.

pulp 07-30-09 03:02 AM

that's strange mine are completely silent, you cant hear them at all, i have to open the console and check the buttons to make sure i remembered to turn them off sometimes.

like others stated though, the lower part cools nicely and i hardly notice any difference in the back area.

4482 07-30-09 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by pulp (Post 4722376)
that's strange mine are completely silent, you cant hear them at all, i have to open the console and check the buttons to make sure i remembered to turn them off sometimes.

I guess I should have them check the fan when I take my car in for the 5000 mile check up.

Thanks for the feedback !

sightdev 07-30-09 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by 4482 (Post 4721559)
Today I noticed the sound for the first time that the front seat ventilation fan makes. I had the drivers seat running in the #3 cooling setting.(fast) At first I thought it was road noise from the tires. When I got home I turned on the fan in the front passenger side seat, and found it to have the same noise as the drivers side. It sounds like there really must be a very large fan used in the seat ventilation. I would say it's not a defect.
For the good job it does I guess I can put up with it.

Has anyone else noticed the sound/noise?

I don’t recall any sound but all I know is it is weak even at max setting. I rented DTS few years ago with cool-seat option and that was the best performer. It felt like I was sitting on top of a fan. I wonder how LS460 would perform? It would be so cool to have massager with cool seats

cheap_deal 07-30-09 11:24 AM

i think all lexus ventilated seat fans are weak. have sat in 2010 rx350 and a 2009 lx570 both with underpowered cooling fans.

4482 07-30-09 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by cheap_deal (Post 4723405)
i think all lexus ventilated seat fans are weak. have sat in 2010 rx350 and a 2009 lx570 both with underpowered cooling fans.

I turned the engine off on my RX to listen to the seat fan. To me, my seat fans appeared to be very strong. I had first noticed it while driving along around 65 MPH. My wife noticed it first, and her passenger seat fan was off. We both thought it was wind or road noise from the tires. It was the first time I had used it at the #3 position. When I pulled into my drive/garage and still heard it, I knew it was not wind or road noise. That's when I turned the engine off and determined it was the seat fan. My car was built in Canada in April 09. Like I said, it could be normal or a defect, and I'll have the dealer check during the next visit.

I'd suggest to check your seat fan noise/force, do it with the engine off.

:cool:

DOUS 07-31-09 06:07 AM

yeah. I checked mine and it actually makes a bit of sound when the engine is off and no music/movie playing.

To me it's not a bother since real driving for me would include road/engine noise plus we always have music or movies/games on for the kids anyway.

Please do let us know what the dealer says when you take it in though. I'm curious to know if this is a defect or not.

rxets 07-31-09 07:06 PM

I did the same test, and felt it's not the big issue to me. I'm ok with this level of sound. Wish your dealer could find the solutions for you. Please keep us updated.

4482 07-31-09 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by rxets (Post 4727399)
I did the same test, and felt it's not the big issue to me. I'm ok with this level of sound. Wish your dealer could find the solutions for you. Please keep us updated.

I agree it's not a big issue, and I won't be having it checked out by the dealer until I go sometime in October for the 5K oil change etc.

The fact remains that with my car anyway, when in the #3 position the sound can be heard over the normal road noise, it's worth a dealer check. In the #1 and #2 position the sound is very hard to detect over normal road noise. I would not think the sound loud other then the fact that some on this forum can't hear the fans at all, even in the #3 position.

rxets 07-31-09 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by 4482 (Post 4727576)
I agree it's not a big issue, and I won't be having it checked out by the dealer until I go sometime in October for the 5K oil change etc.

The fact remains that with my car anyway, when in the #3 position the sound can be heard over the normal road noise, it's worth a dealer check. In the #1 and #2 position the sound is very hard to detect over normal road noise. I would not think the sound loud other then the fact that some on this forum can't hear the fans at all, even in the #3 position.

To me, in #2 and #3, yes, I can hear it when the music is off and driving on the well-paved roads. But the different ppl may get the varied answers. My friend, driving on my car tonight, he said he heard nothing. Maybe I'm just too sensitive to this. Anyway, I may have it check in my 10K services. Who knows if it's going to be noiser and noiser in the coming future. :uh:

jskennedy 08-01-09 04:13 PM

left dealer w/ fan on

got home & stopped car & couldn't figure out where the sound was coming from

took several mins to realize the seat fans were on

not much cooling for the amount of sound

ziggy1 05-06-10 06:39 AM

I'm very disappointed in the ventilated seats. To me, they don't seem to do any cooling, but at least I don't hear them anyway. Next time I get to the dealer, I,m going to ask them to check to see if they are functioning at all:thumbdn:

Cruiter 05-06-10 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by ziggy1 (Post 5463987)
I'm very disappointed in the ventilated seats. To me, they don't seem to do any cooling, but at least I don't hear them anyway. Next time I get to the dealer, I,m going to ask them to check to see if they are functioning at all:thumbdn:

Just so you're not confused. On the 'heat' setting, the fans blow and the seat actually heats. On the cool settings, the fans blow and only circulate the cabin air through them. The A/C is not ducted into them, only into the cabin and a tiny bit into the console.