RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How Can I Remove the Roof Rack Cross Rails.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-09, 11:37 AM
wrahn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Wes, how about some pics with the 2010 RX minus the cross bar
These are the bst I could do trying to work around some thundershowers here in Florida.

Wes
Attached Thumbnails How Can I Remove the Roof Rack Cross Rails.-p1000398.jpg   How Can I Remove the Roof Rack Cross Rails.-p1000400.jpg   How Can I Remove the Roof Rack Cross Rails.-p1000401.jpg   How Can I Remove the Roof Rack Cross Rails.-p1000402.jpg  
Old 07-03-09, 11:49 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wrahn
These are the bst I could do trying to work around some thundershowers here in Florida.

Wes
Nice looking car. I'm partial to white too
Old 11-10-09, 01:39 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wrahn
I went to the Lexus dealer and asked the service rep assistant how can I remove the crossbars and he told me the wrong procedure. Then he got a tech who indicated you remove the rear end caps. I told him I knew that, but couldn't remove them. I then said you have to pull them, but it didn't work. I then pull and twisted at the same time and it came up. It's easy once you get the technique down.

The best way to describe it is to grasp the end cap with the right hand close to the rear of the end cap and your left hand next to your right hand while facing the car with you fingers spread on the back side and your thumb on the front side of the crossbar Squeeze the back side with your four fingers while pulling upward toward you carefully and the cap will loosen. If done correctly, it doesn't take a lot of effort. Once the cap is off, the loosened crossbars slide out the back of the rail. There is no other hardware to remove. When you replace them, the front tab is inserted into the rail and then you squeeze the cap as you lower the back end carefully. It will "snap" when it's in place. I was surprised how easy it was. At first I had tried to pull straight back, but the pull should be upward and toward you while squeezing the cap.

Thanks to The G Man for his help and link to the RAV procedure.

Wes
So far no success. I loosen the screws and able to slide the crossbar to the end. At the end of the rail is a strip of rubber which I assume is acting as a bumper. Its about 3 inches long and I removed it.

No matter how much I pull and squeeze, I couldn't loosen the end cap. I put my thumb on the right end, left thumb at the other end, fingers under the cap and I pull upward while squeezing. My fingers were getting tired but nothing happens. I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 11-10-09, 02:33 PM
wrahn
Driver School Candidate

I have to admit when I tried it today, I also couldn't get the end cap off. Maybe I'm weak today.

When I looked at the directions I wrote before and which were quoted in the message, I noticed I indicated "with you fingers spread on the back side and your thumb on the front side of the crossbar" the term "crossbar" should have been "end cap". When doing the driver side, the right hand is at the back of the end cap with the left hand toward the front of the end cap. When you do the passenger side, it's just the opposite.

I'm 69 years old, but when I removed the end cap the first time, it didn't require much effort. Sure don't know why it won't work today. I'll be in trouble when I want to put the crossbars back on. However, my directions did work when the car was new

Wes

Last edited by wrahn; 11-11-09 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-11-09, 09:27 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Thanks a lot Wes. I finally got it off. My biggest problem is I dont know what the end cap is. I thought it was the plastic cap at the end of the crossbar. No its the long plastic thingy at the end of the rail. Lol.

I took some pictures for those who have not done it.

The first picture shows what Wes has described. Grab the end cap with both hands (I only show my right hand because I have to use my left for the camera.). Twist upward and the clip will loosen. However it may not come out completely.

The second picture shows me nudging the end of the cap with a small screwdriver. Be gentle and it will come off.

Third picture shows the end of the rail. You can then slide the crossbar and it will come off.
Attached Thumbnails How Can I Remove the Roof Rack Cross Rails.-dscn1809.jpg   How Can I Remove the Roof Rack Cross Rails.-dscn1810.jpg   How Can I Remove the Roof Rack Cross Rails.-dscn1808.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
viewfindr (11-26-22)
Old 01-05-10, 03:16 PM
hifi
Driver School Candidate

I recently had to install the cross bars myself and in the process broke one of the plastic clips off the end cap and created a small crack in the process. It still seems to be attached pretty firmly but I'm concerned the crack will just get larger over time. Is this a part that I can buy pre-painted? Or will a replacement need to be painted by a body shop and blended into the surrounding parts.

Can I have my 2nd Gen. RX cross bars back btw, 8 screws just to lock these things in place is such a usability step in the wrong direction. With the old cross bars it was a simple pull and slide allowing me to reorient my ski racks when not in use, so as to generate less noise.
Old 11-20-10, 11:52 AM
UncleBoo
Driver School Candidate

I know I'm late to the game but I just installed crossbars today. I used a paint can lid remover tool to pull the inside tabs free of the base then the whole cap pulls right off. It took 30 seconds a side and the tool cost .69 cents at Lowes.
Old 09-01-11, 01:11 PM
eveall
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
Thanks a lot Wes. I finally got it off. My biggest problem is I dont know what the end cap is. I thought it was the plastic cap at the end of the crossbar. No its the long plastic thingy at the end of the rail. Lol.

I took some pictures for those who have not done it.

The first picture shows what Wes has described. Grab the end cap with both hands (I only show my right hand because I have to use my left for the camera.). Twist upward and the clip will loosen. However it may not come out completely.

The second picture shows me nudging the end of the cap with a small screwdriver. Be gentle and it will come off.

Third picture shows the end of the rail. You can then slide the crossbar and it will come off.
I finally got the end caps off. It took me a while to figure it out. The main thing that i was missing is you need to twist it off towards the inner of the vehicle. The screwdriver tip in the end of the cap was the final touch. Hopefully from now on, the process will go much quicker. I think i might up a video tutorial because it's really not that difficult when you know what you're doing, but it is hard to describe in words.
Old 04-01-12, 01:05 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts
Thumbs down

Tried to pull and twist but no cigar, may have to go buy the paint can lid removal tool. Instruction says use the plastic removal tool. I'm a loser today.
Old 04-02-12, 06:32 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

It maybe lodge in their a bit. Try to twist it back and forth but be gentle to not break the plastic. Also try using one of those material use in twisting stubborn glass bottles caps. Ask the wife, she should know what I am talking about. The first time it may be quite stubborn but after that it will be easy to remove. As soon as you make a small space at the end to insert a small screwdriver you are home free. Maybe put a piece of cloth on the tip of the screwdriver so you will not scratch anything.
Old 11-11-12, 04:13 PM
f152tall
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eveall
I finally got the end caps off. It took me a while to figure it out. The main thing that i was missing is you need to twist it off towards the inner of the vehicle. The screwdriver tip in the end of the cap was the final touch. Hopefully from now on, the process will go much quicker. I think i might up a video tutorial because it's really not that difficult when you know what you're doing, but it is hard to describe in words.
Yes! Video please!
Old 03-08-13, 06:02 PM
builderbob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
So far no success. I loosen the screws and able to slide the crossbar to the end. At the end of the rail is a strip of rubber which I assume is acting as a bumper. Its about 3 inches long and I removed it.

No matter how much I pull and squeeze, I couldn't loosen the end cap. I put my thumb on the right end, left thumb at the other end, fingers under the cap and I pull upward while squeezing. My fingers were getting tired but nothing happens. I'll try again tomorrow.
hi, i could not figure it out either, went by my lexus dealer and one or the tecks popped them off in about two min they did not even charge me, then they washed the car for free
Old 06-14-17, 10:55 AM
amira45
Driver School Candidate

Default how to remove the luggage racks

where can I go to have the luggage racks removed from my lexus rx 350 year 2014
Old 06-15-17, 04:23 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by amira45
where can I go to have the luggage racks removed from my lexus rx 350 year 2014
You want the slats (across) or the rails (length wise) removed? Difficulty level 1 DIY ... small and large flat screw driver, 10/12/14mm socket + help (but not needed)

To remove the slats, pop out the plastic end covers at the back ... lift up the back with a taped flat screw driver (there are side snaps and the front is anchored in the rail).
See post #20. You can start with a smaller screw driver as shown in the picture, BUT use a wide blade to apply torque ... wider blade would spread the force while a smaller screwdriver will damage the cover.
Loosen the slats and slide them out from the back.

To remove the rails, you have to remove the slats.
Remove the front plastic covers (lift the front edge this time)
Each corner is secured by 2 bolts.
Get help as the rails are long to lift them out. [to prevent paint damage to the roof]
Obtain the kit [$60-100] to cover the hole [kit comes with (plastic-cover, 2 short bolts, 1metal plate)x4]

There is good market to sell the old rails and slats. I just added rails only and the going price is [$600+ for the old set. Please remember to keep the longer bolts]

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 06-15-17 at 04:29 AM.