RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Can I get a better price via Costo Auto program?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-09, 05:33 PM
TRB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I get a better price via Costo Auto program?

Hi everyone. Im new to the forum but very impressed with it. Im currently looking at a 2010 RX350 AWD at a dealership with

PM
NAV
HUD
19 WeelsHigh Intensity Headlamps
Heated Ventilated Front Seats
12 Speaker Premium Audio System for Nav
Tow Prep Package
Wood & Leather trim steering wheel and Shift
Carg Mats F/R
Wheel Locks

Total price at dealer is $48,988
Price they will do is $46,800

I Spoke to another dealer who is in the Costco Auto Program and they said they could do much better on the same car. Catch is they cannot tell me a price untill they get the car on the lot as they do not have one in Black on Black. Coscto terms are they cannot give a price unless they have the car in inventory

Has anyone utilize a dealer in the Costco program and how well have they done. Then again perhaps the price Im being quoted is a good one... Just not sure and intend to buy the RX but time is on my side.....

Thanks
Old 05-30-09, 06:56 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum.

If there is another dealer nearby you, please check it out, too. Your price doesn't seem pretty attractive, however, this RX comes with HUD, since it's very rare model, you may not be able to get too much discount out of it. Usually, without those speical pkgs, it's much easier for customers to negotiate the price. IMO.

Good luck.
Old 05-30-09, 08:52 PM
GoCougs
Driver School Candidate

2k off a car with HUD is not bad for Washington state. Sure, it's not the 3-4k that some dealers are giving in other parts of the country - but it'll cost you that much to go get one and ship it home (believe me, I thought hard about it).

We recently purchased ours for a little better than 2k, but it was a non HUD unit. We also had a trade which was considered.

Unfortunately, in Washington - you are locked into the available selection, and there isn't a great selection.

I purchased from Lexus of Tacoma at Fife and had a very good experience. PM me for anymore details.
Old 05-31-09, 09:41 AM
Carachi
Driver School Candidate

I don't know much about your area, but I fought pretty much kicking and screaming in Colorado to get 2.4K off MSRP for a White/Grey with HUD, especially since the dealer I was working with doesn't have a particularly big inventory. As I was picking it up, my salesman told me another guy came in and wanted HUD so bad he ended up paying 1000 OVER!! MSRP to get it, lol.
Old 05-31-09, 05:31 PM
TRB
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. Great info and suggestions. Ill keep you posted.

The good news is that time is in my favor and I can shop around and play the game.

HUD is the big issue as its cool, and pratical...( At least thats what I keep telling myself)
Old 05-31-09, 06:02 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRB
Coscto terms are they cannot give a price unless they have the car in inventory
That's total crap.
Old 05-31-09, 06:04 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Carachi
I don't know much about your area, but I fought pretty much kicking and screaming in Colorado to get 2.4K off MSRP for a White/Grey with HUD, especially since the dealer I was working with doesn't have a particularly big inventory. As I was picking it up, my salesman told me another guy came in and wanted HUD so bad he ended up paying 1000 OVER!! MSRP to get it, lol.
Lexus does not allow its dealers to charge over MSRP, and will yank the franchise if they catch them doing it.
Old 06-01-09, 12:45 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRB
Thanks everyone. Great info and suggestions. Ill keep you posted.

The good news is that time is in my favor and I can shop around and play the game.

HUD is the big issue as its cool, and pratical...( At least thats what I keep telling myself)
Last I checked (couple weeeks ago) Lexus of Seattle (in Lynnwood) had a couple of HUD RX's. I had the chance to drive one of the first available in March and was very impressed with the display - less so with the styling of the new RX.

Good Luck!
Old 06-01-09, 01:42 PM
Sunapollo
Rookie

Pretty hard to negotiate in Washington since there're only 3 dealerships in the area ... we got our car in Lexus of Seattle too.
Old 06-01-09, 01:49 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sunapollo
Pretty hard to negotiate in Washington since there're only 3 dealerships in the area ... we got our car in Lexus of Seattle too.
True, that! We've bought 4 Lexus from Seattle and been very well served there. Note that Lexus of Fife and Lexus of Bellevue are both owned by the same auto group, Lexus of Seattle is independent of the others. But, even with that, there's not all that much negotiation available either. Now, there is a Lexus of Spokane, and another down in Portland OR, so they might possibly be used as leverage for the right model!
Old 06-01-09, 02:11 PM
tigerbait
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Orzel
True, that! We've bought 4 Lexus from Seattle and been very well served there. Note that Lexus of Fife and Lexus of Bellevue are both owned by the same auto group, Lexus of Seattle is independent of the others. But, even with that, there's not all that much negotiation available either. Now, there is a Lexus of Spokane, and another down in Portland OR, so they might possibly be used as leverage for the right model!
Too bad you guys don't live in south Florida. Got mine at Pembrokes Pines for
39500 on a 42500 car. There is a 52000 car for 6000 off msrp on the showroom floor. Road trip!!
Old 06-01-09, 02:17 PM
GoCougs
Driver School Candidate

When on the hunt for our RX, I was in regular contact with Seattle, Bellevue, Fife (Tacoma), Portland, Eugene, and Spokane. And of course, even more out of state.

My experience:

Bellevue: Good luck. Great showroom - and buyers pay for it whenever you buy a car there. It's definitely not "small overhead"

Seattle: Great folks - would have loved to work with them, but they didn't want to help me out on the trade in situation at ALL.

Portland: Great folks - just didn't have what I wanted, and didn't want to quote prices on non-stock units

Spokane: Showed zero interest all all

Eugene: Showed zero interest at all - this considering my in-laws live there and thus I am there on a fairly regular basis.

Fife (Tacoma): Catch them at the end of the month and you'll hear "we're trying to beat the Bellevue store". They definitely wanted the back and forth negotiation - but in the end - everybody was happy. Sales experience - great. Parts department, not so thrilled with (which I did note on the infamous survey). Great folks, not much pressure at all.

Something else to consider is the sales tax rates. Buying in Bellevue/Seattle was going to cost me 9.8%. I shaved almost half a percent by buying in Fife.

Had I purchased out of state, I would have shaved even more for my 'zip code'. Not alot of money, but every couple hundred bucks counts.
Old 06-01-09, 03:51 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tigerbait
Too bad you guys don't live in south Florida. Got mine at Pembrokes Pines for
39500 on a 42500 car. There is a 52000 car for 6000 off msrp on the showroom floor. Road trip!!
Wow, if that 52k RX isn't the demo or test-driven car (and doesn't have those ugly additional accessories), I'll definitely take it without the second consideration.