RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Spy Shots: 2010 Lexus RX SUV

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-08, 06:54 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Spy Shots: 2010 Lexus RX SUV

Posted on Monday 23 June 2008

Prototypes for the next-generation Lexus RX SUV have been spotted in Germany and this time the heavy camouflage that masked previous test cars is no longer present. The SUV’s distinctive profile can clearly be seen as can some of the details of the new head and taillights. The prototypes also reveal that the final design of the new RX will be heavily influenced by the lines of the LF-Xh hybrid SUV concept from last year’s Tokyo Motor Show.

Key features include the waterfall-style front grille and angular headlights plus a smoother overall shape than the current car. The new RX is also expected to be slightly larger than the current model, and there could be a new seven-seater model with three-row seating in the 2010 lineup.

The base model will retain the familiar 3.5L V6 engine but a new V8 model could also be added. The new range will also pick up a six-speed automatic as standard in place of the older model’s five-speeder. The hybrid model, due one year after the initial debut, will feature a V6 engine mated to an electric motor and is expected to develop close to 400hp (298kW).

Production of the new RX range will start at the end of year with first sales expected in the first quarter of 2009.
source
Old 06-23-08, 08:02 AM
Bowlth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on the picture, the new RX looks smaller than the current generation, especially in the cargo area. Also, I have read that 2010 will not offer 7-psgr seating. Look forward to seeing more pictures.
Old 06-23-08, 08:56 AM
Battousai
Driver School Candidate

it looks sportier and i agreed that it would be able to hold 7 seats with the way the trunk curved.
Old 06-23-08, 08:57 AM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Wow! That looks...

just like the current generation.
Old 06-23-08, 08:58 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I'm quite disappointed by these shots. It looks like the styling will be very evolutionary, and the new gen will retain the same stodgy profile and shape as the current model. Even the rear bumper reflector lights and the rear wing look nearly identical to the current RX. Contrary to what the Motor Authority article states, I do not see heavily influence from the LF-Xh concept. The LF-Xh concept has a sleeker, sportier, and overall more futuristic shape and profile.

Maybe, hopefully I will be proved wrong on some of my assumptions when the production model is unveiled. Maybe Toyota is using some clever camo here to hide much of the car's styling and lines. The dash shape looks very similar to the current model, so I don't know how much the interior was redesigned. The exhaust though now seems hidden from view, and there are two different rear ends looking at the pics. Possibly the regular and hybrid models, or mules with different bodywork and/or fake parts to throw people off track.

Hopefully the production model will look good, but unfortunately at this point I think the production model will turn out disappointing IMO, after the daring LF-Xh concept. Another reason for me feeling disappointed is that the new RX is supposed to be a global model. If it looks very similar to the current RX (Toyota Harrier in Japan) then why would people in Japan be interested in paying a premium for this new RX if it looks too similar to the Harrier?

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 06-23-08 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-23-08, 09:04 AM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

it's interesting how they have 2 different lid and tailight configs. maybe they can't make up their mind? hehe
Old 06-23-08, 09:59 AM
2010mRXsh
Driver School Candidate

Yeeeeesss! At last...

Or maybe not...

Can we be sure this is not a mule?
(Does the number of months before production tell us?)

Why would they even need to do any outside testing with the real body panels at this time?

Lexus is amazing about their secrecy, really. There have been like two press releases about this next generation, and one of them was like over 2 years ago. And that was totally way way different than what we see here.

For all we know, and even for all the drivers of the cars above, and the people working on the line, etc. etc. know, Lexus could have all but a few people working on the actual final design. And then like months before production, they surprise everyone with a different final design?

I know cars take a while to get into production, but how important is the outside design to other people working on the car?

Also I think it's funny that these people even bother to camouflage these things. I'd like to see a video on the process, just out of curiosity--how is it done, how long does it take, etc.

It's not like we can't tell what it is, right? And even the zebra stripes and wild designs they're now using, it's not like they can't still snap a photo.

Not that Acura would be paying attention, but if they were to see these photos, I think they'd be able to have a clue what direction Lexus is taking. But maybe that's the trick?

Anyway, I was sort of hoping for something more radical along the lines of the original renderings or the concept last shown.

But I'm also pleased if it's similar, because then I want it less, and maybe I can just get a Honda instead.
Old 06-23-08, 12:20 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Judging by the shape, I'm thinking this is still, at best, a test mule. Note, no discernable exhaust pipe(s) sticking out the back - one fairly solid "rumor" was for duel exhaust. Also rear wing (as mentioned in another post) still looks like our current setup as do the wheels and the less than stellar fender clearances (way too much room). Further it looks like the wheel openings don’t match front to rear – with the front being quite a bit higher on the body. Also note that in the rear quarter view there appear to be some odd looking panel gaps just in front and below the A pillar. The headlight configuration would be fairly easy to modify from original by use of some foam inserts with the camouflage on them. In general the body, and it may well be the camouflage, has a slightly visual ‘off balance’ appearance to me, it doesn’t quite look right.

Last edited by Orzel; 06-23-08 at 12:22 PM. Reason: cause I can't spell worth a crap!
Old 06-23-08, 12:31 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm excited I see Lexus Park Assist on the back bumpers...!
Old 06-23-08, 12:38 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I guess one of the earlier poster guess it right. Lexus would never make big changes to their #1 selling luxury SUV.
Old 06-23-08, 02:53 PM
asianrage
Driver

Looks wider and longer. Meh!
Old 06-23-08, 03:35 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

i want an interior shot
Old 06-23-08, 05:13 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Yawn. It this is all they got I'm not inclined to buy.
Old 06-23-08, 05:42 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

+1, I was waiting for something better than this. Very boring in my opinion...

Craig
Old 06-23-08, 07:26 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
I guess one of the earlier poster guess it right. Lexus would never make big changes to their #1 selling luxury SUV.
I strongly disagree. The opinion that "Lexus never makes big changes to their big sellers" is simply untrue. For example, the change from the 3rd generation to the 4th generation ES was a big change in terms of both interior and exterior, as well as options and features. It was overall a big chance. Also the change from the 4th generation to the 5th generation Camry was a big one exterior-wise.

The current 2nd-gen RX was an evolutionary change from the 1st gen RX. It would be a mistake IMO for Lexus to once again make the 3rd gen RX only a slight evolutionary change from the 2nd gen. If Lexus made a big change from the 3rd to 4th gen ES, what is stopping them from making a big change with the new RX? Also considering that competition is stronger than ever, it would be a bad move to have the new-gen RX be only slightly evolutionary.

I agree with others here, and I strongly hope this is some sort of test mule and/or there is some clever camo being used to hide the final design.

Quick Reply: Spy Shots: 2010 Lexus RX SUV