ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-2nd-gen-2004-2009-164/)
-   -   Programming HomeLink garage opener - RX330 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-2nd-gen-2004-2009/95797-programming-homelink-garage-opener-rx330.html)

dms666 09-17-03 02:15 PM

Programming HomeLink garage opener - RX330

Has anyone experienced any difficulty in programming the HomeLink garage door opener?

I've followed the instructions in the manual, but it never seems to get programmed.

The manual says to keep cycling the remote until the HomeLink indicator starts blinking quickly. After a few cycles, it does start to blink, but I wouldn't characterize it as quick. The manual makes no reference to a slow blink followed by a quick blink.

Could it be the remote (which works fine on its own - with a new battery)? I noticed the remote has its own indicator light which stays on for 3 or 4 seconds when the remote button is pressed. The manual says to cycle the remote every 2 seconds - which is impossible on my remote since it's still active from the previous button press.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

AsianGirl007 09-17-03 02:23 PM

1. Hold down a homelimk button for about 30 seconds until it starts to blink.
2. While still holding that button, take your remote in your other hand and press down, getting the remote as close as physically posible. If neccessary. move the remote around a little bit. Do this until the light starts to blink really really fast.

Also, it's a good idea to make sure you have fresh battery in the remote. Even if it's strong enough to open the garage, doesn't mean it's strong enough to program into a whole other system. And finallly, make sure you have the old fashion garage door. The newer ones with roaming codes require additional work to program. I program every single car I sell.

al503 09-17-03 04:28 PM

had the same problem. Took me about 30-40 minutes to finally get 2 garages programmed. Good advice above. It was a pain in the butt.

ederny 09-18-03 05:42 AM

Keep trying - reread all instructions in between each try - you'll get it to take ! I programmed 2 doors into the left and right buttons and it went as advertised, actually easier than I had anticipated.

laceltris 09-18-03 05:54 AM

Never got it to work

I have spent a couple hours trying and finally gave up, having never got it to work. I also did the rolling code programming sequence with no luck. I read somewhere that the programming may be very difficult with Wayne Dalton garage doors. I tried another sequence that was posted somewhere for that too. All I can ever get it to do after the programming sequence is for the homelink to flash really quickly. When I have the garage door unit in training mode, it wil flash quickly too, but never accepts the code. Sooooo, I gave up and use the opener.

MellonC00 09-18-03 09:38 AM

CAN'T DO

I tried programming both my Audi and Lexus but... no dice. My garage door has this rolling code thing and it is terribly hard to program the Homelink thing. Why dont' manufacturers talk to each other before producing something?!?! My old garage had the non-rolling code program and it worked just fine.

While I am at it, let me list the things that car manufacturers need to straightened out in terms of options.

1. Install a CD player that can read other forms of digitized music (like Mpeg and stuff)
2. Get an I POD slot like VW wagon.
3. Get the darn Homelink thing to work by working with garage door opener companies.
4. Make a phone slot for Motorola, Nokia or Samsung moble phones. Better yet, make one universal slot and sell adapters that go inside your console.

Even on a Merc SL600 you have to buy a separate phone plan just get the phone option. What's the point?

dms666 09-18-03 10:11 AM

I tried and tried again, but with no success.

I checked the HomeLink (www.homelink.com) website and they had a demo with the indicator lights and everything so at least I know exactly what to look for.

I then contacted them and found out that HomeLink is not compatible with universal remotes (which mine is - Skylink).

Unfortunately, I live in a condo with a common garage, so it's not like I have the specs on the garage door opener to go find the original manufacturer's remote, but I guess I have to.

Not giving up yet.... :)

salimshah 09-18-03 11:18 PM

Depending on the type of remote receiver (garage door, lights etc), the receiving unit needs to be taught as well. Usually there is a switch or combination of button press (vaction and open/close at the same time) that puts the receiver in learn mode. In this mode if the unit recieves a signal (home link button on RX), it syncs up.

So check the litrature that came with the opener.

Salim

Fern 09-19-03 07:22 AM

Home link shouldn't be that difficult

I also couldn't figure out why mine wasn't working, even after I followed the instructions as in the manual.

It turns out that my door opener is a "liftmaster" with the rolling code feature.

After locating the "learn" button on the back of the unit (you will have to remove plastic panel which covers the light) it was a peice of cake.

Instructions:
1) put the key in ignition in postition 2 (car not running)

2) hold down both homelink buttons on the outsides of the homelink tranmitter (to reset any existing codes)- you might have to do it for 20-30 seconds. red light on homelink will flash rapidly then let go.

3)Now, with the garage remote in one hand and the other hand holding the button on homelink you want to program (keep holding homelink until it pulses (not a rapid flash, takes about 20 seconds). When it is pulsing, hold the garage opener as close to the homelink button as possible while depressing door opener button also.

Shortly after doing this you will see the homelink start to flash rapidly (this means it is learning the code).

- let go of both buttons once it is flashing rapidly and

4)go to motor of door opener and hit the learn button (a light should turn on)

5) return to the car and press the homelink button you programed once, twice, ... upto 3 times until you see garage door open/ close.

Thats it...

I bet the biggest problem is most people don't know that their door opener has a rolling code system and you have to sync the motor with homelink by pressing the learn button on the motor.

Cheers,

Fern

:egads:

ederny 09-19-03 04:44 PM

Nice work Fern!

JRB 09-19-03 09:35 PM

I also have a rolling code opener (LiftMaster) but had no problem programming the RX330, or my FX45 or my previous car, an Audi allroad, all on the first attempt. I followed the same steps as Fern just spelled out.

RickC 01-27-04 04:18 PM

Just used Fern's steps to program the loaner cars opener while mine is in the shop. Worked, first try!

Thanks for the post Fern.

RickC

jer55 02-01-04 03:00 AM

homelink- a different problem

Sorry if this is a bit long but here's my story. 2 single garage doors, Craftsman rolling code. Car 1, RX300, programmed the homelink in 2000, no problem. Get Maxima, program homelink in 2002, no problem. Both have left button working left door, right button working right door, middle button not programmed. Buy RX330, program homelink, no problem- or so I think!. Go to use Maxima, hit right button, both doors open! Now Maxima 1 button opens and closes both doors. The RX does this about 50% of the time. But usually the RX will open the left, but if you use the button to close- it will close the left & open the right door. Have reverted to using the openers that came with the garage door openers til we can get this figured out. Any suggestions?

ederny 02-01-04 12:37 PM

jer, this is a wierd one.

I had a similar problem, but older openers (not rolling codes). The problem with so many openers (in vehicle and clip on ones from the manuf), one iof the manufactures remotes had the buttion stick on (transmitter was always sending a signal) and the remaining remotes did strange things on both indepoendent doors as you have described.

I doubt this is your problem, but thought it would make interesting reading!

kevinclee 01-26-05 10:40 AM

I have problem to reset the existing code on my homelink.

From the manual and the posts here, "hold down both homelink buttons on the outsides of the homelink tranmitter (to reset any existing codes)- you might have to do it for 20-30 seconds. red light on homelink will flash rapidly then let go.".

I tried a few times holding two buttons on the outsides for over 30 seconds, even 2 minutes. I didn't see the red light flash. I only saw the red light is solid.

Any idea?