RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX400h rear clunking

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-19, 04:23 AM
J50NWA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX400h rear clunking

Hi,
I have searched but found no real conclusion. Has anyone cured a clunking noise from the rear end?
The symptoms are low speed clunk or thud when going up or down a kerb or over a harsh speed bump. but only on 1 side.
I have replaced the rear anti roll bushes. Wheel bearings were also replaced, as were brake disks (calipers freshened up same time). Its had a new rear strut. My mechanic says the top mount was OK. and I cannot find any untowards movement in the knuckle bushes.
I am at a loss to this, any thoughts would be most welcome,

cheers Jason
Old 01-27-19, 06:16 AM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I've noticed this a few times on one specific driveway and never anywhere else. Seems like when I go down it off camber, diagonally is the only time it happens.
Old 01-27-19, 08:19 AM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

It could be the rear axle knuckle bushings making noise.
I had this noise in my RX but the bushing on mine is on the rod side which bolts up to the rear axle carrier.
Here is a link what the bushing looks like:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...placement.html
Old 01-27-19, 09:02 AM
J50NWA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nad1370
It could be the rear axle knuckle bushings making noise.
I had this noise in my RX but the bushing on mine is on the rod side which bolts up to the rear axle carrier.
Here is a link what the bushing looks like:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...placement.html
thank you for the link, though the control arms and knuckle look different. I thought these, and replacements are available, but if I lift the wheel and try to move, or even use a bar on the control arms themselves there doesn't seem to be any play at all more than the other side that isn't making the noise..
Old 01-27-19, 12:15 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by J50NWA
thank you for the link, though the control arms and knuckle look different. I thought these, and replacements are available, but if I lift the wheel and try to move, or even use a bar on the control arms themselves there doesn't seem to be any play at all more than the other side that isn't making the noise..
Yes, they look different but the bushing has the same function.

When mine had the noise, i also jacked the side that made the noise.
Had a prybar and pried on those joints at every angle.
I found the play it it but very little.
Like maybe 2mm of play.
But the noise was very pronounce going over slow sharp bumps. (driveway curb)
Drove me nut. lol

Not saying this is your problem but its possible seeing you have replaced the obvious culprits already.
Old 01-27-19, 05:22 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

This is a very tough question but - is that thud on upward or downward wheel movement? Basically, is it when wheel is at the bump/hump apex or when it comes down off it? One is caused by compression, the other one by stretch of suspension elements. Did you check stabilizer bar bushings too?
Old 01-27-19, 05:24 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Also, is it AWD model? How is rear axles?
Old 01-28-19, 04:54 PM
Hobbes22
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the same issue with my AWD. I’ve tried removing the tool kit and spare tire with no luck. All bushings look good. It’s both sides on mine. I packed my caliper slide pins with grease and it briefly stopped. Like for a mile. So I suspect it’s the calipers as my pins and associated bushings are new. The big question is if new calipers would fix it (smaller hole for the pins?) and why this would be a problem.
Old 01-30-19, 04:58 AM
royhanks3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
This is a very tough question but - is that thud on upward or downward wheel movement? Basically, is it when wheel is at the bump/hump apex or when it comes down off it? One is caused by compression, the other one by stretch of suspension elements. Did you check stabilizer bar bushings too?
Hey Ukrkoz,

My thud seems to be coming from just as I enter a bump, so when the wheel is in a downward movement. I've replaced my rear struts, rear sway bar links and bushings, trailing bar bushings have also been replaced with PSB 577 from Armstrong Distributors. I have also removed my rear spare wheel all to no avail. My mechanic and I are STUMPED. Do you know what else I could look at to possibly be the culprit of my thud and thunk noises?
Old 02-05-19, 04:52 AM
J50NWA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by royhanks3
Hey Ukrkoz,

My thud seems to be coming from just as I enter a bump, so when the wheel is in a downward movement. I've replaced my rear struts, rear sway bar links and bushings, trailing bar bushings have also been replaced with PSB 577 from Armstrong Distributors. I have also removed my rear spare wheel all to no avail. My mechanic and I are STUMPED. Do you know what else I could look at to possibly be the culprit of my thud and thunk noises?
Top mounts? subframe to chassis bushes? Exhaust fouling on something?

I have just had the rear trailing arm (chassis end) bushes replaced (I ordered the wrong part), I have now ordered the correct (knuckle bushes) parts, will hopefully be here and replaced by weekend. Will update once done..
Old 02-05-19, 05:04 AM
royhanks3
Driver School Candidate

Is the "subframe to chassis bushings" called Suspension Subframe Bushing? If so, no we haven't changed those yet. What would the part number be for those? or do you have a blueprint I could give my mechanic to assist in finding that part?
Old 02-05-19, 06:03 AM
J50NWA
Driver School Candidate

on the following link, TAB-317 *1, TAB-300 *1, TAB-166Z *2 - per side.. I am in the process of replacing these 4 bushes .. TAB317 has already been done, and this has quietened the noise down a lot. I suspect TAB-300 and TAB-166Z will shut the noise up totally..
https://shop.febest.eu/arm-bushing-f...d-tab-317.html

its a long shot but if all else has been done, on this link is the Subframe/ chassis bush
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-RX300...-/172180893607
Old 02-05-19, 06:28 AM
royhanks3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by J50NWA

on the following link, TAB-317 *1, TAB-300 *1, TAB-166Z *2 - per side.. I am in the process of replacing these 4 bushes .. TAB317 has already been done, and this has quietened the noise down a lot. I suspect TAB-300 and TAB-166Z will shut the noise up totally..
https://shop.febest.eu/arm-bushing-f...d-tab-317.html

its a long shot but if all else has been done, on this link is the Subframe/ chassis bush
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-RX300...-/172180893607

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I'll get this over to my mechanic today and see what he can come up with and will provide updates once we start fixing stuff
Old 02-05-19, 06:35 AM
royhanks3
Driver School Candidate

After looking at Ferbest's website even more closely, I've replaced TAB 300 to no avail, my noise is still present after only changing that bushing.
Old 02-05-19, 09:15 AM
J50NWA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by royhanks3
After looking at Ferbest's website even more closely, I've replaced TAB 300 to no avail, my noise is still present after only changing that bushing.
I think the TAB-166Z are the culprits. These are what I meant to change but ordered incorrectly, the correct parts are being delivered tomorrow..

Quick Reply: RX400h rear clunking