RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

converting Daytime lights to white LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-19, 06:16 PM
350rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default converting Daytime lights to white LEDs

I am thinking to change the Day time running headlight lights (DRL) on my 2007 RX350. I am tired of the yellow look. I want to switch to white/blue LED DRL. I have the HID cool white factory low beam headlights and want a similar look for the DRLs. Does anyone know what number the DRL bulb is?
Also does anyone has good recommendations to cool white DRL bulbs? or manufacturers? and how easy is the installation?
Thanks
Old 01-11-19, 08:12 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Highs beam are bulb type 9005. You will run into an issue though, the DRL will screw with LED's as the DRL's function as the high beam too. DRL uses a PWM (pulse width modulation) to extend the filament bulb life which runs the bulbs at a lower voltage and this doesn't play nice with LEDs, you will have dim and flickering LEDs. If you want to fix this, either have the DRL disabled completely or run big capacitors before the LEDs but this will run the LED's at full voltage and basically be a high beam during the day. I have capacitors on my LED DRL/Highs on my Camry, had to turn the DRLs off as I was blinding drivers. For brands, my personal opinion, just get whatever mid-priced LED bulbs you can find off Amazon, DRL's/high beams don't warrant the need for high end bulbs especially if you're in the city and never use them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lexuswiz:
350rx (01-11-19), obicruz (01-23-21)
Old 01-11-19, 11:35 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

also, at least on my vehicle, the DRL/high beam bulb is on very dim when the regular headlights are on.
Old 01-12-19, 10:32 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Got the MTEC 6500K kit that is both a DRL and High beam with the 9005 bulb. No regrets at all, looks great and the high beam is extremely bright. Also have not noticed any flickering.
Old 01-12-19, 02:30 PM
BklynJay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 9005 led

I got one for sale. Check out my latest post. Awesome DRL but you do lose some high beam compare to oem
since they are LED. If you don’t use high beams at all or very rare they are the best WHITE DRL LED
Old 01-12-19, 03:56 PM
350rx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXGS
Got the MTEC 6500K kit that is both a DRL and High beam with the 9005 bulb. No regrets at all, looks great and the high beam is extremely bright. Also have not noticed any flickering.
Do you have a link to where you purchased these? also how easy is the installation?
Old 01-20-19, 07:20 PM
J$mooth23
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Let us know the outcome and take pics. I tried LEDs and couldn't get them to stay on as a drl, only worked as a high beam. So I just picked up Sylvania zxe and called it a day. But still not exactly happy with the look .
Old 01-21-19, 12:06 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Same here, tried different Halogens, as white (or violet as they come) and could not get a good look. I ended up disabling the DRL and instead I installed an LED strip that is on all the time. On daylight it acts as the DRL (it is pretty bright) and at night it adds illumination. And I get to keep my high beam halogen lamps.
Old 01-21-19, 01:20 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Same here, tried different Halogens, as white (or violet as they come) and could not get a good look. I ended up disabling the DRL and instead I installed an LED strip that is on all the time. On daylight it acts as the DRL (it is pretty bright) and at night it adds illumination. And I get to keep my high beam halogen lamps.
Does your high beam /drl bulb come on very dim with parking and headlights? I'm not sure if they all do it or just cars with drl disabled.
Old 01-21-19, 02:24 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

DRLs that are disabled do not affect the rest of the lights.
Old 01-21-19, 05:18 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mandyfig
DRLs that are disabled do not affect the rest of the lights.
I didn't realize the RX had a seperate 'city light' bulb, I thought it was the high beam bulb being tri-purpose. My mistake.
Old 01-30-19, 12:10 PM
mike6a
Driver School Candidate

DRL bulbs using 6 Volts and LED bulbs do not work on this voltage.
Old 02-08-19, 12:59 PM
rexsio
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RXGS
are you in a RX350? eBay says those MTEC are not compatible with rx330. i tried got different ones that both the seller and eBay claimed to work with the rx330 and they did not even come close to working right, i had to stretch some wire across the engine compartment and they came on as either high beam or DLR, not both... frustrating.. DOES ANYONE have LED's working as DRL and high beams in a RX330?
Old 07-21-19, 04:27 PM
350rx
Driver School Candidate

So i finally purchased installed 9005 LED bulbs with decoders/Canbus purchased from amazon. However came across a few issues:

1. The LED bulbs did not turn on as DRLs, they only worked as high beams, even though it has a decoder.

2. I tried to put in the original factory 'yellow' bulbs back in , but strangely they also did not work as DRLs, but only came on as High beams. Do you think i might have blown a fuse? If so which one where would it be located?

Appreciate any advise to try to get the LEDs to run as both DRL + High beams even if they run constantly as High beams for DRLs
Old 07-23-19, 12:06 AM
KMB
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your experience is similar to mine. After many, many attempts, I finally gave up and simply installed some Philips 9005 incendescent bulbs from my Volvo 850 that just happen to be slightly less yellow than the Sylvanias that were previously in my RX330.

I tried two LED 9005 bulb pairs, both from CNLM via Amazon, that purportedly work @ 6V. The newer model's page even includes a photo of the LEDs illuminating on 6V from a power regulator. Doesn't matter. They still don't work.

Most frustrating was that my initial attempt in May immediately killed DRL functionality in my car entirely, even with the prior incandescent bulbs back in. Ultimately, I had to use the Toyota Techstream software to (1) confirm that DRL was supposed to be on, (2) turn DRL off, and then (3) turn DRL back on. Suddenly, DRL worked again. It was an excruciating level of effort just to get DRL back. Fortunately, my second attempt with allegedly DRL-friendly LED bulbs didn't kill my DRL again.

I will learn to love incandescent DRL and High Beams on my 2006. My next RX will be newer and will have a completely different DRL method.

Quick Reply: converting Daytime lights to white LEDs