RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Cant find strut assemblies for FWD 05 RX330 I want

Old 11-22-18, 07:38 PM
sbklf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant find strut assemblies for FWD 05 RX330 I want

I will replace struts on my daughters RX330. I want to purchase assemblies in the same brand and preferably a brand I know for front and back. I can find Monroe assemblies for the back no problem but only find the Monroe front assemblies for AWD models and nothing for FWD models. Same goes for Detroit Axle, rear assemblies no problem but front assemblies for AWD only. I can also find struts alone no problem in the same brand but wanted to purchase assemblies.
-Wondering if the ones shown for AWD models actually work for both?
-How about FCS brand, any good? (I find them OK).
-How about Master Pro (Oreilly's house brand), any good? (I find them OK also).
-Are there any other brands you like that I could look at?

Thanks, Kevin

Last edited by sbklf; 11-22-18 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-23-18, 03:27 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Look into Highlander struts. It's same strut. For front. Different in rear.
What do you mean by brand? OEM is either KYB or Tocico. Tocico is made in KY. I emailed them.
KYB does NOT differentiate between Lexus and Highlander struts, I emailed them too.
If you can, find complete assembly ones. Quick Strut Monroe or Strut Plus KYB. I was VEY pleased with Monroe QS. Took a bit of time to loosen but then ride was very nice. If I found Quick Strut for my 2012 Highlander, you should have no problem finding them for your car. Like I said, simply go for Highlander ones. FRONT. You have shocks in the rear, Highlander has struts.
Old 11-23-18, 04:22 PM
sbklf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Look into Highlander struts. It's same strut. For front. Different in rear.
What do you mean by brand? OEM is either KYB or Tocico. Tocico is made in KY. I emailed them.
KYB does NOT differentiate between Lexus and Highlander struts, I emailed them too.
If you can, find complete assembly ones. Quick Strut Monroe or Strut Plus KYB. I was VEY pleased with Monroe QS. Took a bit of time to loosen but then ride was very nice. If I found Quick Strut for my 2012 Highlander, you should have no problem finding them for your car. Like I said, simply go for Highlander ones. FRONT. You have shocks in the rear, Highlander has struts.

So your saying 2005 Toyota Highlander struts are the same as the 2005 Lexus RX330 FWD struts?
-I want to purchase complete strut assemblies, my question is why cant I find complete strut assemblies for the front of my 05 RX330 FWD in Monroe and if not available if those other brands mentioned are any good? Actually, I am only seeing one or two brands that sell the complete assembly.
-Is it better to purchase bare struts and mounting hardware and boots and re-use the old springs?
Thanks, Kevin

Last edited by sbklf; 11-23-18 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-25-18, 07:38 AM
OG Member
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sbklf
So your saying 2005 Toyota Highlander struts are the same as the 2005 Lexus RX330 FWD struts?
-I want to purchase complete strut assemblies, my question is why cant I find complete strut assemblies for the front of my 05 RX330 FWD in Monroe and if not available if those other brands mentioned are any good? Actually, I am only seeing one or two brands that sell the complete assembly.
-Is it better to purchase bare struts and mounting hardware and boots and re-use the old springs?
Thanks, Kevin
I'll share my experience on this same topic, as I just replaced my wife's '06 RX330 FWD struts (front and rear).
  • You are correct, there are limited offerings for complete strut assemblies by the same manufacturer - why? I was unable to uncover any definitive answers
  • Some of the brands (FCS for example) you've discovered are not as popular in the Lexus community - KYB and Monroe appear to be top choices and preferred by clublexus members
  • Purchasing bare struts of the same brand, mounting hardware and boots could be better depending on if your goal is saving time? money? performance? etc.
After months of exhausting research this topic, here is what I landed on:
  • New KYB front and rear struts
  • New OEM front and rear mounting hardware and boots
  • Re-used Stock front and rear springs
  • Rented Spring Compressor (from Autozone)
  • Total time for removal, disassembly of strut/spring, and reassembly took 3 hrs total time - Air tools helped me significantly
  • Alignment after install
Hope this helps and happy to provide part#'s if it helps!

Best of luck in your decision making...
Old 11-25-18, 11:32 AM
sbklf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by OG Member
I'll share my experience on this same topic, as I just replaced my wife's '06 RX330 FWD struts (front and rear).
  • You are correct, there are limited offerings for complete strut assemblies by the same manufacturer - why? I was unable to uncover any definitive answers
  • Some of the brands (FCS for example) you've discovered are not as popular in the Lexus community - KYB and Monroe appear to be top choices and preferred by clublexus members
  • Purchasing bare struts of the same brand, mounting hardware and boots could be better depending on if your goal is saving time? money? performance? etc.
After months of exhausting research this topic, here is what I landed on:
  • New KYB front and rear struts
  • New OEM front and rear mounting hardware and boots
  • Re-used Stock front and rear springs
  • Rented Spring Compressor (from Autozone)
  • Total time for removal, disassembly of strut/spring, and reassembly took 3 hrs total time - Air tools helped me significantly
  • Alignment after install
Hope this helps and happy to provide part#'s if it helps!

Best of luck in your decision making...
After watching this video
and seeing your post, I am pretty sure I will do just what you did. The video points out that the springs (on these particular assemblies) were larger in diameter which would definitely effect the ride I don't want to do that. I have all KYB parts in my cart right now on Amazon. The parts along with a spring compressor will be about $650.00. Couple questions:
-The video spoke of a plastic spacer that isolates the spring from the mount, is it likely the original spacers on my 05 are still good? (do not see where I can buy them).
-Should I replace the mounts regardless or is it possible to re-use the original ones?
-Any suggestions on where to purchase?
I looked at Rock Auto, Amazon, Parts Geek and locally. I like the idea of buying local but man, mounts for example are double the cost than online.

Old 11-25-18, 04:15 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I have used Amazon and Rockauto.com, Rockauto has a 5% discount code that can be applied when paying. Just search discount codes and you will come up with one. Where Rock Auto gets you is if the shipping comes from two different locations for the list of parts, It increases total cost. If All parts are shipped from one location it is cheaper. I ordered separate parts (KYB) and am very happy. The Rubber cushion is usually OK on the struts, but a long time ago One of our moderators was desperate and slid a rubber clear hosing over the end of the spring for that worn part bought at a Hardware store...Good luck and pay close attention to the front strut keyway in the shaft being seated when installing the upper mount. If it is not seated it will work, but provide a knocking noise on bumps, and you will end up taking the strut apart again...
Old 11-26-18, 06:10 AM
OG Member
Lead Lap

After watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3bncShvmHU and seeing your post, I am pretty sure I will do just what you did. The video points out that the springs (on these particular assemblies) were larger in diameter which would definitely effect the ride I don't want to do that. I have all KYB parts in my cart right now on Amazon. The parts along with a spring compressor will be about $650.00. Couple questions:
-The video spoke of a plastic spacer that isolates the spring from the mount, is it likely the original spacers on my 05 are still good? (do not see where I can buy them).
-Should I replace the mounts regardless or is it possible to re-use the original ones?
-Any suggestions on where to purchase?
I looked at Rock Auto, Amazon, Parts Geek and locally. I like the idea of buying local but man, mounts for example are double the cost than online.
$650 sounds like a solid deal!

Here are my thoughts around a couple of your questions:
  • My '06 RX330 had a rubber spacer/insulator between spring and strut - it was perfectly pliable and functioning. All I did was clean and re-install
  • I purchased new mounts/boots for front and rear (OEM) in the event mine were worn or near end-of-life - I was surprised that mine were all visually in solid condition, but I ultimately decided to replace as I probably could not replicate the stress of a 2 ton vehicle putting pressure on these suspension related parts.
  • Your results may vary, however; I had great luck find all the parts and pieces on ebay + I had a nice 15% off total 'cart' purchase which helped. Oh, and I rented my spring compressor (for free) from Autozone...which saves a couple of bucks.

Last edited by OG Member; 11-26-18 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-28-18, 02:46 AM
sbklf
Driver School Candidate

I have decided to replace components only (basically just reuse my springs) but cant decide between KYB or Monroe and am wondering about mounts.
-Are KYB and Monroe mounts the same quality wise?
-Are all manufacturers mounts interchangeable with different manufacturers struts?
-Who makes the better strut, KYB or Monroe?
-Anyone ever purchased from Sparkplugs.com? They come up when you google KYB and seem to have fair pricing.
Old 11-28-18, 07:10 AM
OG Member
Lead Lap

I have decided to replace components only (basically just reuse my springs) but cant decide between KYB or Monroe and am wondering about mounts.
-Are KYB and Monroe mounts the same quality wise?
-Are all manufacturers mounts interchangeable with different manufacturers struts?
-Who makes the better strut, KYB or Monroe?
-Anyone ever purchased from Sparkplugs.com? They come up when you google KYB and seem to have fair pricing.
Appears you're making great progress in your decision!

Here are my thoughts to your questions (your results may vary)
  • KYB and Monroe appear to have equal build quality when compared model-to-model. A lower model KYB could be seen as inferior to a higher-end model of Monroe due to the various costs of components, engineering, and assembly of the strut itself.
  • Mounts should be interchangeable; however, I believe KYB boots come in two pieces. Monroe from what I recall come in one piece.
  • Here's how I interpreted the two brands. KYB - slightly firmer/sportier ride; Monroe - slightly softer/more OEM ride
  • I purchased plugs from sparkplugs.com many years ago for another vehicle. Sometimes they're more and sometimes they're less. If you can try and locate a coupon (via google search: "Sparkplugs.com coupon") for their site and apply towards your purchase!
And I forgot to mention, you may want to consider purchasing new 'bump stops' for your strut. I reviewed my notes from my install and noted that my two fronts had disintegrated and I replaced.
Old 11-29-18, 03:21 PM
rexsio
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a couple posts on this forum about struts and strut assembly's, the best way probably is the way you guys are doing it. But others have great success with the FCS and Monroe assembly's. The guy in the video is mostly right, but the FCS for this car have mostly proven themselves as an OK alternative. Some owners actually like the slightly stiffer ride the new springs on the complete quick strut assembly's bring. Once read about a gentlemen who had his FCS quick strut assembly's for 100k miles, loved them towed boats even. I have both on my 2005, dealer replaced in the rear and FCS in front and there is a slight difference but it's good, smoother for the passengers in the back. I'm in NYC and wanted new springs, felt the old ones were beat on too much. 1 year and 5k miles so far so good on the FCS front assembly's.
Old 11-29-18, 03:30 PM
tomr51
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts

do Sachs make a strut to fit? i have heard they are good quality.

Anyone used them?
Old 12-25-18, 04:46 AM
sbklf
Driver School Candidate

Done, I went with components using all Monroe OE Spectrum in an attempt to keep the ride original. Purchased everything from Amazon and I think I spent about $800 (and a Harbor Freight spring compressor for $25). I found disassembly and reassembly difficult, especially for the front. I had to compress the front springs within about 1” of being fully compressed (for the coils I could grab) just to get the nut started on the strut stem. I thought I would have to grab the stem with a vice grip to hold it while installing the locking nut but was able to come up with a different solution. I found it difficult to install this nut while making sure the square part of the stem was seated in the square socket of the mount correctly. As hard as the locking nut was to tighten up, I don’t think the square part on the mount would have held the stem from turning even if I would have compressed the springs enough to get it in there. I was very careful with the reassembly and feel confident they are all assembled correctly. I could have used the original rear bumpers with the new mounts, so the purchase of rear boots was a waste. As for the original struts, if they were originally charged with gas that appeared to be gone in all 4 but none of them were leaking oil and they all still dampened like shocks do. With that and no noticeable improvement in the ride I am not even sure replacement was necessary. Pretty sure if I need to replace struts on a vehicle where ride was not to be considered, I would certainly purchase assembled struts.

Couple questions:
-Did this car come with gas charged struts?
-If so and the gas leaked out, would that have affected the ride?
-Can you damage a coil spring by compressing it too far?

Thanks for all your help, Kevin
Old 12-28-18, 11:11 AM
rexsio
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One post stated that the OEM struts from the factory are oil filled but that could have changed year to year, i held my front struts after removal and they did not appear to be heavy and oil filled. I'm not 100% sure but i don't think you can damage the spring by compressing it too far unless it's compressed like all the way for an extended period of time, if you don't see an improvement in ride quality with new struts be it gas filled it's probably a sign you need new springs. Even regular new springs from Rock Auto combined with your new struts should give you a nice ride guaranteed. I'm in NYC and i argued with my indy mechanic to put in the quick struts with the new springs combo cause he didn't want to said it wasn't proper but i'm super glad i did cause the ride quality went nice and firm, i have factory springs in the back with new dealer installed struts from the previous owner and it's different, softer.