RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

control arm question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-18, 11:04 AM
Dominik850
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default control arm question

Hello everbody
I am a new member of this forum. I have one question since i can not find really useful information on this topic. I need some new control arms for my rx 330. But which one would you recommend? I've seen a couple ones on rockauto. I would like to buy some moog control arms but of course there is no information wheter they fit in my air suspension rx. all other control arms on rockauto have this information ( at least the ones i don't want). The next problem is that there are two different moog control arms. One costs like 50 bucks and the other is 80. Is there a difference? They have different part numbers thats for sure. Please help. I want to buy something thats decent quality, so i don't have to change them in like one year again.
Greetings
Old 05-27-18, 04:44 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

You NEVER know what you get from online order. This is slippery road esp for unique vehicle with air suspension.
I'd recommend using a local store and matching part to part. At least, it's easy return. Yes, costs a bit more but much less hassle.
Old 05-28-18, 05:03 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I replaced my air suspension with regular one myself,it is plug and play plus the sway bars,I doubt if there is any different parts for cars with air suspension
Old 05-28-18, 11:00 AM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

OEM works best, as you might know.
Just saying,...
Old 05-28-18, 04:15 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominik850
Hello everbody
I am a new member of this forum. I have one question since i can not find really useful information on this topic. I need some new control arms for my rx 330. But which one would you recommend? I've seen a couple ones on rockauto. I would like to buy some moog control arms but of course there is no information wheter they fit in my air suspension rx. all other control arms on rockauto have this information ( at least the ones i don't want). The next problem is that there are two different moog control arms. One costs like 50 bucks and the other is 80. Is there a difference? They have different part numbers thats for sure. Please help. I want to buy something thats decent quality, so i don't have to change them in like one year again.
Greetings
I have not replaced the control arms - but I always prefer using Lexus/Toyota OEM parts whenever possible.

Not only are the Toyota/Lexus OEM parts high quality (as good as or better than most aftermarket), but doing so ensures that the parts will fit on your vehicle.

This is every important especially if you are having someone else (your mechanic) replacing or fixing the component.

In the grand scheme of things, the hourly cost of having a mechanic dwarfs the higher cost of an OEM part.
Old 05-29-18, 06:53 AM
Dominik850
Driver School Candidate

Isn't there any good alternative to OEM ? They cost 250$ each I even wrote a e mail to moog two days ago... Nobody replied since then
I am dping all work on the cars myself, but i've read you have to jack up the engine to take out the control arms, so i want something of rather good quality to save myself a lot of hassle. If there is no other alternative you can recommend, well than I have to rob my piggy bank and go for oem

Last edited by Dominik850; 05-29-18 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 05-29-18, 09:42 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Moog offers the control arms with and without the ball joint on it. This is probably the difference in the price you are asking about.

I would suggest that you also get new bushings to go with the arms.
Old 05-29-18, 11:29 AM
Dominik850
Driver School Candidate

Apperently , they both have a balljoint, but somehow, one is like half the price of the other. I searched moog's webside again and found some contact formulars which I then used. Now I am waitig for an answer... I guess we will see. Reviews of those conrtol arms are still appreciated. If anybody here has made either good or bad experiences , feel free to write it down
Old 05-29-18, 01:01 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Does the place that you are looking at have the MOOG part number? For the left side I got RK641488 w/o ball joint and RK620334 with ball joint.
Old 05-29-18, 02:53 PM
Dominik850
Driver School Candidate

Sorry I was talking bulls*** . You are right. The more expensive one is w/o a balljoint and the cheaper one has a balljoint. ( I was looking on Rockauto) So basically I am leaning towards the more expensive one from moog, but there are no reviews about this part.
Old 05-29-18, 06:09 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

OK, I have replaced these with aftermarket (Moog) on my RX400h. Part of my redo on the suspension. They fit fine, and the biggest issue is getting the one vertical bolt out under the Motor mount area. I followed the jack the engine carefully under the oil pan and was successful. This is one of those jobs which takes a fairly good mechanical knowledge. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would say a 9 in the scale being difficult. You have to be very careful with the drive shafts when taking everything apart. After market? Yea fine. Quality seemed great and I have had no issues. I ordered from RockAuto. Good luck ps suggest with ball joints as you are already replacing a major portion of the suspension.
Old 05-29-18, 07:31 PM
DennisMik
Racer

The more expensive one is w/o a balljoint and the cheaper one has a balljoint. ( I was looking on Rockauto) So basically I am leaning towards the more expensive one from moog, but there are no reviews about this part.
No ball joint is more expensive than with ball joint. That's crazy! The control arm part is the same. Get the one with the ball joint and it will make the repair a little faster and easier.
Old 05-30-18, 01:24 AM
Dominik850
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thomas1
OK, I have replaced these with aftermarket (Moog) on my RX400h. Part of my redo on the suspension. They fit fine, and the biggest issue is getting the one vertical bolt out under the Motor mount area. I followed the jack the engine carefully under the oil pan and was successful. This is one of those jobs which takes a fairly good mechanical knowledge. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would say a 9 in the scale being difficult. You have to be very careful with the drive shafts when taking everything apart. After market? Yea fine. Quality seemed great and I have had no issues. I ordered from RockAuto. Good luck ps suggest with ball joints as you are already replacing a major portion of the suspension.
have you used the one already with the balljoint? Does your car have Airsuspension? How long do you already running them? Are they holding up?
Old 05-30-18, 07:22 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

have you used the one already with the balljoint? Does your car have Airsuspension? How long do you already running them? Are they holding up?
Yes I used the one with ball joint. I have about 40k miles on them and have experienced no issues. No my car did not have air suspension. Had traditional struts with springs...
Old 05-30-18, 09:24 AM
Dominik850
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thomas1
Yes I used the one with ball joint. I have about 40k miles on them and have experienced no issues. No my car did not have air suspension. Had traditional struts with springs...
why does nobody have air suspension... I would love to order them but i need to know wheter they fit on the air suspension...

Quick Reply: control arm question