RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Suspension upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-18, 09:55 AM
exaktoh
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Suspension upgrades?

My 2RX was lowered using coilovers and I wanted to know what I can do to upgrade the rest of my suspension? What is the next part to focus on since the vehicle has been lowered (19x9.5 +30 wheels will be mounted).

Control arms, tie tod, strut tower bar, bumpsteer, end links...All of your input will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by exaktoh; 05-08-18 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-23-18, 02:39 PM
diopena1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by exaktoh

My 2RX was lowered using coilovers and I wanted to know what I can do to upgrade the rest of my suspension? What is the next part to focus on since the vehicle has been lowered (19x9.5 +30 wheels will be mounted).

Control arms, tie tod, strut tower bar, bumpsteer, end links...All of your input will be greatly appreciated.
Well..... I hit this area kinda hard with my RX....
Which Coilovers are you using?- I'm curious...

I have BC racing coilovers on mine, had the front control arms with new bushings, and new cv axles installed. As for my wheels.... I went pretty aggressive.... 20x9 all around +20 offset, with 255/45/20 tires (you will need to roll the rear fenders!). Also got rid of the dogbone engine mount, and popped in something a little custom, which makes your acceleration a lot more responsive, and steel braided brake lines, full DOT4 fluid swap, custom front rotors.
Most important part of suspension setup however, is balancing it out- coilovers weight balanced, and making sure you get a good alignment (not the $20 variety...), after that, wheels, and most importantly tires- Don't skimp out on tires!!!!!
Brakes- What god is going fast if you cant stop?.... choose your parts carefully, DO NOT SKIMP on this!

Mine is a front wheel drive, and handles pretty damn good for a crossover SUV...
Old 05-26-18, 09:56 AM
exaktoh
Driver

Hello, I installed a new product by Tanabe (Revel USA coilovers). I’m still trying to get the correct height but the setup seems okay for now. I’m currently running factory wheels (18x7.5) but plan to go with 19x19.5 + 35 all around with a (meaty?) tire setup similar to yours, hopefully no fender work needs to be done.

I have cross drilled/slotted rotors with brembo pads on it now and will be installing some cusco front and rear sway bars, upgraded front/rear end links and a front strut tower bar along with a new front cv axles when they arrive.

I also have a FWD and will most definitely get premium tires with the wheels.

What brand lower control arms did you purchase? Do you have a picture of your wheels/tires, I want to get an idea of how the 245/45/20 looks on the vehicle? Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by diopena1
Well..... I hit this area kinda hard with my RX....
Which Coilovers are you using?- I'm curious...

I have BC racing coilovers on mine, had the front control arms with new bushings, and new cv axles installed. As for my wheels.... I went pretty aggressive.... 20x9 all around +20 offset, with 255/45/20 tires (you will need to roll the rear fenders!). Also got rid of the dogbone engine mount, and popped in something a little custom, which makes your acceleration a lot more responsive, and steel braided brake lines, full DOT4 fluid swap, custom front rotors.
Most important part of suspension setup however, is balancing it out- coilovers weight balanced, and making sure you get a good alignment (not the $20 variety...), after that, wheels, and most importantly tires- Don't skimp out on tires!!!!!
Brakes- What god is going fast if you cant stop?.... choose your parts carefully, DO NOT SKIMP on this!

Mine is a front wheel drive, and handles pretty damn good for a crossover SUV...

Last edited by exaktoh; 05-26-18 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-27-18, 12:18 AM
Gordonrx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowered my Rx

I lowered my Rx with H&R Springs and KYB Adjustables. It lowered about 1.75" overall. I'm looking to see what else is out there to improve myy handling.
Old 06-01-18, 09:54 AM
exaktoh
Driver

Just installed the Cusco rear Sway bar (18mm vs. OEM 14mm) and rear adjustable Whiteline endlinks.

It felt like the handling improved a bit but I haven’t really driven aggressive on turns after installing the front Strut bar.
Easy install under the wiper motor.
Brand: Ultra Racing

Originally Posted by Gordonrx
I lowered my Rx with H&R Springs and KYB Adjustables. It lowered about 1.75" overall. I'm looking to see what else is out there to improve myy handling.

Last edited by exaktoh; 06-06-18 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Update
Old 06-10-18, 02:33 PM
exaktoh
Driver

Finally got around to installing a new set of the front cv axles, front Cusco 26mm sway bar and Godspeed adjustable front endlinks with a friend today.
the cv axles were easy to remove and install but the sway bars were hard since there wasn’t much room to manuever under the car. We unbolted the cat (+02 sensor), rack and pinion (one side) and left one side of the cv axle off control arm so we can have some wiggle room. It took time but it was worth it.

Last edited by exaktoh; 06-10-18 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-15-18, 09:18 AM
exaktoh
Driver

Got around to purchasing some daily wheels and tires, still playing around with the front since I want it to visually appeal to the rear setup. I will probably end up putting a 15mm spacer up front.

front:
19x8.5 + 32
245/45/18

rear:
19x9.5 +37
275/45/19
25mm spacers

Last edited by exaktoh; 06-28-18 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-24-18, 05:19 AM
mtlrx
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Exaktoh,
Can you please supply part # or links, I went on Cusco web sight and they do not list swaybars for thr rx350, or Harrier, or highlander.
As well I did not see a strut bar listed on Ultraracing web site.

Thank you.
Old 06-24-18, 10:10 AM
exaktoh
Driver

Hello, sorry I dont have the part number for the Cusco items since I called Cusco (US) directly and they had the front sway bars laying around in their HQ. As far as the rear, I purchashed the only one they had from FR Sport (frsport.com).
The Cusco guys told me my vehicle was the first in the US with the front and rear sway bars installed. You will probably need to research sway bars for a GSU30 (Japan market vehicle cod), I saw some from ebay selling them.

Same with the front strut bar, please see above ebay screen caps. Goodluck!

Old 08-18-18, 07:21 AM
ARCHIVES
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by exaktoh

Hello, sorry I dont have the part number for the Cusco items since I called Cusco (US) directly and they had the front sway bars laying around in their HQ. As far as the rear, I purchashed the only one they had from FR Sport (frsport.com).
The Cusco guys told me my vehicle was the first in the US with the front and rear sway bars installed. You will probably need to research sway bars for a GSU30 (Japan market vehicle cod), I saw some from ebay selling them.

Same with the front strut bar, please see above ebay screen caps. Goodluck!

I have the Ultra racing bar as well , did you have the same problem with fitment and windshield wiper motor ?
Old 08-18-18, 09:34 AM
exaktoh
Driver

Originally Posted by ARCHIVES
I have the Ultra racing bar as well , did you have the same problem with fitment and windshield wiper motor ?
Hello, no I did not have any issues with the wiper motor and the strut tower bar.

What issue(s) did you have with the wiper motor?
The strut just dropped in place and I was able tighten it easily.