RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Sunroof leak soaked passenger side- new electrical issues as a result!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-18, 06:32 PM
MemSlim
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Sunroof leak soaked passenger side- new electrical issues as a result!

Hi All

New to the forum......HELP !!!!!

I have a recently acquired 2004 RX 330.

We had pretty much a mini-monsoon here in Florida yesterday and today and my vehicle was parked uncovered. To my horror the Passenger side (front) footwell and under seat to some degree was drenched with water and passenger seat was wet too. Since it was just one side I figured it was a sunroof drain issue and it was. I unclogged it successfully and am drying it out as best I can without removing carpet.

However, there were a bunch of lit up warning lights on starting and seat memory was lost, and window control on driver side only operates driver window. etc. I disconnected the negative battery terminal for 30 min and reconnected. Most of the warning lights went our except for SRS Light and the window control would not re-set when I went through the re-set procedure.

Again- the wetness was limited to the passenger front floor and somewhat under passenger seat. Can anybody help me with what electronics were involved and what I might try to get everything back to normal??

Thanks in advance

John
Gainesville, FL
Old 04-11-18, 05:27 AM
Eddiev1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The window control switch actually has some electronics, these electronics were possibly damaged from the water. Can you control the passenger window from your main switch at the driver's side? The switch # for rear switches is #514746, but that is also supposed to work for all passenger locations.

Im not sure about your SRS light.

Last edited by Eddiev1; 04-16-18 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-12-18, 05:42 PM
MemSlim
Driver School Candidate

Default Sunroof leak and messed up electrics- Resolved!

Originally Posted by Eddiev1
The window control switch actually has some electronics, these electronics were possibly damaged from the water. Can you control the passenger window from your main switch at the driver's side? The switch # for rear switches is #514746, but that is also supposed to work for all passenger locations.

FYI​ I am selling a window switch #514746, genuine, item# 302701535570 on ebay, but please confirm. It came from rear passenger location.

Im not sure about your SRS light.
Hi
Thanks for your response. The good news is it appears everything has straightened out now. I dried the interior of the car extensively with towels and then a warm hairdryer for hours, left over night, did another battery disconnect-reconnect and window sunroof reset procedure. Everything normalized!

To recap in case it helps anybody- the sunroof leaked from a clogged drain hole on the passenger side. This was at the very top within the sunroof itself- not at the bottom or exit (where I understand a lot of them clog). Accordingly it was a top down leak with water entering the cabin from the ceiling, down the windshield pillar, all over the passenger seat and saturating the passenger floorboard. The window switch control from driver door did not work but all individ switches worked. The radio worked but all of the other functions on the AC/Heater etc were out. Some instrument cluster lights were out as well and the seat memory was lost. No fuses were blown. The odd thing was that some of the lights would come and go.

Anyway- with intense drying, and reset, everything has come back. Feeling like I may have dodged a bullet!

I suppose the message is, if this happens to your RX, give it time to thoroughly dry-and assist with a blow dryer perhaps before you immediately take it into the shop- it may resolve like mine did.
Old 04-14-18, 06:14 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I need to check my drain as well. Where is it located?
Old 04-14-18, 10:43 AM
MemSlim
Driver School Candidate

Default Sunroof Drain

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I need to check my drain as well. Where is it located?
I was looking for a picture but couldn't find one. There are TWO drains in the sunroof-one at each end and positioned toward the front of the sunroof. At first I could not see mine because it was clogged with very dark debris right there at the top, It was a surpisingly small amount of junk that blocked it.

I think a preventive blow-out of each side is well-advised. I spent a day and a half of my life screwing around with this mess!
Old 04-16-18, 09:14 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I have a compressor and will use it blow air into the drain. Can you actually see the drain connection to the hose?
Old 04-17-18, 06:17 PM
MemSlim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I have a compressor and will use it blow air into the drain. Can you actually see the drain connection to the hose?
No you cannot see it just from the open sunroof, but I assume you could if you pop the interior trim piece off of each windshield pillar. That's where the drain hose lives.