RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Best Brakes and Rotors for RX350

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-18, 12:52 AM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by connrodd
If I had problem with warped rotors (which is actually thickness variation not warpage), I'd be looking at the type of pads I was using, and if the rotors were mounted on the hubs straight. There are not benefits to cross drilled or slotted rotors on a street vehicle however there are lots of disadvantages that come with them.
Thanks for your post Connrodd. I'd like to find out more about the disadvantages. Before I spend three times the cost on OEM, why not consider a Power Stop brake kit
Amazon Amazon
?

I've had problems with warp on the OE, just lived with it because the pads last soooo long. Last time by 100,000 miles I was so tired of the vibration, replaced the pads with brake material left. They resurfaced the rotors. The warp came back little by little. Now it's way too irritating, and time to replace the second OE set at 200,0000. Will aftermarket go that long? Not likely. Will they help AVOID the warp?
I don't brake hard. But the annoying (OE disc) warp comes back before the pads are worn. What should I consider?

Thanks
Old 07-14-18, 07:58 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LA4Mead
Thanks for your post Connrodd. I'd like to find out more about the disadvantages. Before I spend three times the cost on OEM, why not consider a Power Stop brake kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FKB0PE...v_ov_lig_dp_it ?

I've had problems with warp on the OE, just lived with it because the pads last soooo long. Last time by 100,000 miles I was so tired of the vibration, replaced the pads with brake material left. They resurfaced the rotors. The warp came back little by little. Now it's way too irritating, and time to replace the second OE set at 200,0000. Will aftermarket go that long? Not likely. Will they help AVOID the warp?
I don't brake hard. But the annoying (OE disc) warp comes back before the pads are worn. What should I consider?

Thanks
I am also interested in this discussion. Purchased new in 2004 and have had pulsation every 25-30k since purchase. Have tried Lexus OEM semi-metallic, Advics, Akebono and currently have Porterfield R4-S. Only have 5k on the Porterfields, so I don't know how they will do. I think the brake/rotors are undersized for the weight of the vehicle, but would love to know anything that may last longer without experiencing a pulsation. Thanks.
Old 07-15-18, 07:02 PM
FloorJack
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ToledoRX
I assume that most of you bought these brake kits from AutoZone. How much did it cost to have a shop install them?

Any issues with turning them? I read that the drilled and slotted rotors aren't suitable for turning compared to the OE rotors.
I ordered mine from Amazon (Here's the link http://amzn.to/2G0d7Mt) and they took me about 2 hours to install myself. (Front and rear)

At this price they are not worth turning. Just swap em.

Also, (My $.02 here) If you've ever done your own brakes before there's no need to pay a shop.

Its a pretty straightforward brake job.

This set looks great and work as they should (no more wobble).

..and I'll just swap em again when their time is up as well..

Good luck!
Old 07-16-18, 12:48 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by LA4Mead
Thanks for your post Connrodd. I'd like to find out more about the disadvantages. Before I spend three times the cost on OEM, why not consider a Power Stop brake kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FKB0PE...v_ov_lig_dp_it ?

Thanks
All I can say is if you are going 100K miles between having to buy new rotors you are doing great. Wish mine lasted that long.
Old 09-16-18, 01:03 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

So I had to replace the front prime choice rotors due to them warping, or to avoid the “rotors can’t warp” argument, the wheel vibrating at high speed. Installed the Ate rotors, and am very happy. Didn’t find much on here about them, but they were on sale on Amazon, and other car forums, the reviews were solid enough. Brakes smooth, doesn’t make any of the noise the drilled/ slotted rotors did, and have a cool pattern on them, not that it matters.

They are coated to prevent rust, and are the same design as the North American rotors rather than the the Japanese made rotors . From what I’ve read, the rotors are interchangeable, but the NA rotors have the cooling fins on the inside.

Last edited by RXGS; 09-16-18 at 01:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RXGS:
Felix (01-10-20), ReyRey126 (07-18-19)
Old 09-17-18, 08:44 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I replaced my rotors w/ OEM ones from lexus dealer. 40K miles later they are starting to warp again. will be going aftermarket after this.
Old 09-20-18, 05:20 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

Wife's RX350 AWD 125K miles on it now. Replaced all 4 rotors and pads with OEM at 110K miles, still smooth and quiet.
Old 09-24-18, 06:38 AM
Charlie23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go to https://www.am-autoparts.com/Lexus/R...ke-rotors.html holes set of 4 roto with brake pads will cost you around $200 free shipping. I just replace all 4 for my wife 2007 with 82k miles 2mos ago it work greats.
Old 01-10-20, 07:06 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 460 Likes on 401 Posts

Had the dealership install Centric pads/rotors before I bought one of their rx's a month ago. I'd <3 to install a bbk on it, but realistically Its not cost effective. Been down that road many times....LOL. Has anyone tried or done a gen3 rotor/caliper setup? Possibly best is to swap out the brake hoses for a SS set & flush the old brake fluid for new dot3.
Old 03-26-20, 05:47 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Put ATE premium rotors on after the Detroit axle rotors started feeling warped after just 6k miles. They had a bunch of hot spots on them, with the outline of the pads, despite having followed the bed in procedure. So far l’m, very happy, have these rotors with Brembo packaged pads on the rear and the car stops almost as well as my GS. I never thought the RX had poor braking, and the pedal feels significantly better than our 2012 ES350.

that being said. This does seem to warp rotors more so than other cars I’ve had, regardless of brand or price. I just assumed it was because of the primary driver.
Old 03-26-20, 06:51 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXGS
Put ATE premium rotors on after the Detroit axle rotors started feeling warped after just 6k miles. They had a bunch of hot spots on them, with the outline of the pads, despite having followed the bed in procedure. So far l’m, very happy, have these rotors with Brembo packaged pads on the rear and the car stops almost as well as my GS. I never thought the RX had poor braking, and the pedal feels significantly better than our 2012 ES350.

that being said. This does seem to warp rotors more so than other cars I’ve had, regardless of brand or price. I just assumed it was because of the primary driver.
Where did you get/find those ''ATE" rotors?
Old 03-26-20, 07:03 PM
spinellib
Intermediate

Received 175 Likes on 136 Posts

The parts I used when I recently replaced the OEM brakes are:
Wagner E-coated front rotors, made in china
Wagner OEX front pads, ceramic, made in USA
Advics (OEM) rear rotors, made in USA
Wagner OEX rear pads, ceramic, made in USA

After a couple of hundred miles, so far so good. They feel exactly like the OEM, which I felt were very good.
Old 11-23-20, 03:25 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Felix
Had the dealership install Centric pads/rotors before I bought one of their rx's a month ago. I'd <3 to install a bbk on it, but realistically Its not cost effective. Been down that road many times....LOL. Has anyone tried or done a gen3 rotor/caliper setup? Possibly best is to swap out the brake hoses for a SS set & flush the old brake fluid for new dot3.
Ok....The gen3 is a direct bolt on....I went w/ reman 19b6274/75 calipers.......The 19b3352/53 calipers work also...IDK why Toyota had two different calipers for the two different locations...Japan & Canada. You''ll need to get rotors & pads for the gen3 rx or Hylander.