ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-2nd-gen-2004-2009-164/)
-   -   Average Cost to Change Spark Plug on RX400h (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-2nd-gen-2004-2009/882304-average-cost-to-change-spark-plug-on-rx400h.html)

2010rouge 03-02-18 04:41 PM

Average Cost to Change Spark Plug on RX400h

Just wanted to know about how much other CL forum users are paying to have a shop change their spark plugs. I received a quote to have the spark plugs changed for $480. It is unlikely that I would be able to change the plugs myself as I read about nightmare when getting to the three rear plugs.

tdsbigo 03-02-18 06:59 PM

I was quoted about $445 on my 2008 RX 350 it would be a little cheaper if i supply the plugs. Does that also include cleaning the throttle body?

2010rouge 03-02-18 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by tdsbigo (Post 10130624)
I was quoted about $445 on my 2008 RX 350 it would be a little cheaper if i supply the plugs. Does that also include cleaning the throttle body?

I believe the cost only includes parts for the spark plugs and labor to have the installed. There was no mention of any additional services :(
I thought the price was relatively expensive, and I'm unsure if I really want to change the spark plugs now or later...? Currently at 119,000 miles
Is your $445 quoted by a dealer?

daddiojigg 03-03-18 01:26 AM

aRE YOU CHANGING JUST BECAUSE OF MILEAGE? or is it running rough or fuel economy going down? If you are able to change them yourself, i would suggest that. you'll be able to do 'extra' work to the engine ;ie. TB,PCV valve, gaskets et al. At the very least if you DON'T do it yourself, change out the PCV valve as well. I'd hate to pay someone twice to go back there.I'm sure you know that there is a lot of great info on this site for DIY.
Sorry about the caps.Maybe other people that have changed them-either by themselves or a shop-can say what precipitated the change because if you do a search ALOT of people say they(plugs) last for a lot longer than 120,000 miles!

nwfsnake 03-03-18 03:29 AM

Better go ahead and change the three back coils along with the spark plugs. Better safe than sorry! :)

tdsbigo 03-03-18 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by 2010rouge (Post 10130785)

I believe the cost only includes parts for the spark plugs and labor to have the installed. There was no mention of any additional services :(
I thought the price was relatively expensive, and I'm unsure if I really want to change the spark plugs now or later...? Currently at 119,000 miles
Is your $445 quoted by a dealer?

I got the quote from a independent shop. I was one of the shops first customers when they opened a few years ago. If my kids cars or mines needs work that I cant or have the time to do. I usually will get a quote from the dealer and he will beat it by doing the job for less or offering additional services.

tdsbigo 03-03-18 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by daddiojigg (Post 10130829)
aRE YOU CHANGING JUST BECAUSE OF MILEAGE? or is it running rough or fuel economy going down? If you are able to change them yourself, i would suggest that. you'll be able to do 'extra' work to the engine ;ie. TB,PCV valve, gaskets et al. At the very least if you DON'T do it yourself, change out the PCV valve as well. I'd hate to pay someone twice to go back there.I'm sure you know that there is a lot of great info on this site for DIY.
Sorry about the caps.Maybe other people that have changed them-either by themselves or a shop-can say what precipitated the change because if you do a search ALOT of people say they(plugs) last for a lot longer than 120,000 miles!

Im at 122,000 and the car still runs great on original plugs at least I think they are original. The previous owner did a good job of keeping paper work and I didn't see any on the plugs being changed.

2010rouge 03-03-18 06:57 PM

My car runs alright at 119,000 miles, and I am only going based off the maintenance manual. I spoke with the shop when I was getting a quote for the spark plugs, and she mentioned that most people do not replace the coils unless there is a misfiring present.

I am thinking if I should hold off the spark plugs until 150,000 miles as I have also heard that there are people who have their coil pack fail right after a spark plug change. How likely are the coil to fail? And usually how much should a shop charge to replace the coil packs along with 6 spark plugs?

Also: I got this car at 96,000 miles...so I am still a little unwilling to change out things since I've already done quite a bit of maintenance on it (water pump/all four struts/ tires/ brake fluid, transmission and differential fluid)

5W40 03-03-18 07:14 PM

My car runs great now at 135,000 mile [225,000km], change out all six spark plus at 107,000 miles [180,000km] and all are pretty good shape, now at 135K with all original coils and A/F & O2 sensors, never see CEL and gas mileage still good.

edwardh11 03-04-18 08:05 AM

$320 indie shop , 110k miles. 04 highlander v6

rusn007 03-13-18 12:57 PM

I was quoted by my indy mechanic $775 for sparkplugs change and 3 coils replacement in the rear.
2 questions:
1) Is $775 for the parts + labor normal price or on the high side?
2) would you recommend replacing 3 coils when doing sparkplugs

My car is at 113K miles and I would do this service at 120K miles

jooksing82 03-13-18 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by 2010rouge (Post 10130504)
Just wanted to know about how much other CL forum users are paying to have a shop change their spark plugs. I received a quote to have the spark plugs changed for $480. It is unlikely that I would be able to change the plugs myself as I read about nightmare when getting to the three rear plugs.

It is kinda expensive but it is a bit of work. What puzzles me is that if you take out the throttlebody, intake manifold you are suppose to replace teh gaskets. however i doubt the mechanics will do this unless you specifically tell them to do so.

Any gurus here like to analyse my plug?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...262e87d80b.jpg

5W40 03-13-18 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by rusn007 (Post 10141296)
I was quoted by my indy mechanic $775 for sparkplugs change and 3 coils replacement in the rear.
2 questions:

Ignition coil may run from $45 to $110 each and spark plus will be around $10 more or less each, so you can do the math for labor and make a decision of coils change or not.

smassey321 03-14-18 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by rusn007 (Post 10141296)
2 questions:

I just had one of my rear coils go bad at 160k miles. I got lucky in that I was due for my 2nd plug change anyway. The #5 rear coil failed partially without a check engine light. The miss only happened occasional while gently accelerating at low load and rpm. At $90 per coil, it is a tough call if you should replace the 3 rears. I do wish I had swapped the rears and fronts when I changed the plugs at 80k miles. The rears are under more heat load and seem to fail more often.

When I changed my plugs last weekend, I moved the rear #5 coil up front to #6 and confirmed the misfire followed with Techstream. 3 used OEM coils on ebay were $30 so now I have spares. If you do change the rears, save the old parts to be spares for the front. Fronts can be changed simply by removing the air filter box.

For anyone reading this, finding an intermittent misfire is impossible without Techstream. Misfires are logged for the past 10 trips even if the check engine light is not on. And misfires really confuse the hybrid system so it makes your car run like you have a bad transmission. Lots of jerking and bucking.

dmanwi 03-14-18 06:32 AM

I just had my plugs replaced at an indy mechanic. He didn't reccomend doing the coll packs but I requested that the 3 rear ones be done. It cost me $689 for all plugs, 3 rear coil packs, and an oil change. It seemed to be a little on the high side but I am ok with this price.