RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2005 RX with 160k+ Miles - What to Check?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-18, 05:53 PM
vesnyder
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2005 RX with 160k+ Miles - What to Check?

I am seriously considering purchasing an '05 RX 330 AWD with 160k miles. Two owner with clean Carfax and overall pretty clean. From what I've read 250k miles should not be a problem. What are the problem areas I should pay attention to?

Thanks!
Old 02-13-18, 08:30 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

When the timing belt and water pump have been changed, when spark plugs have been changed, when the transmission fluid was last changed, if the rack and pinion is leaking, what shape the suspension is in, are the rear wheel bearings making any noise, and what condition is the dashboard in. Few people have reported damp carpets from clogged sunroof drains, easy fix but can potentially cause a lot of damage.

seems like a lot, so don’t want to scare you off, but basically covers what few troubles model has, in addition to what you would check in any car with 160k.

im sure others will share more
Old 02-14-18, 06:55 AM
jmu2004
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2005 RX330 with 168,000.

What I've done outside of usual maintenance.

Timing belt, struts, rotors x 3, sway bar end links, spark plugs, dashboard (warranty), all drive line fluids, coolant, accessory belts,resealed headlights.

Drives perfectly, and I would buy another RX with over 150k with no hesitation if properly maintained.
Old 02-14-18, 11:19 AM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought my 05 with 162k because the alternator,thermostat, and transmission fluid had just been swapped out, and the regular maintenance (sparkies, timing belt, etc) had been done.

After I bought the car, I checked the rear diff and transfer case fluids. the rear diff oil was black (so hadn't been change in over 50k miles) and the transfer case oil was dirty but not gross as well.

About a yr after I bought it, maybe 15k miles, the passenger side seal for the rack and pinion was leaking (had almost no PS fluid in the res), but I cheaped out and used some of the power steering stop leak stuff which has worked well.

If they have the maintenance records, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. For me, besides mechanical I prefer the interior not be beat to a pulp.

happy hunting!
Old 02-14-18, 04:49 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Timing belt, water pump, tensioners (should be changed every 90k miles)

Brakes (front and rear). Front brakes may last 40-60k. Rear brakes may be good for 100k (especially if you live in the rust belt).

Factory recalls - there was a recall for cracked dash and leaking radiator a few years ago. Make sure those have been done, otherwise you are looking at spending at least a couple of hundred or thousand $$$ to get those replaced.

Other things - just regular maintenance, oil and filter change, air filter, tires and battery replacement, fluids and coolant drain and fill.

My RX has 150k and it has been fantastic with just regular maintenance.
Old 02-16-18, 06:17 PM
OG Member
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by vesnyder
I am seriously considering purchasing an '05 RX 330 AWD with 160k miles. Two owner with clean Carfax and overall pretty clean. From what I've read 250k miles should not be a problem. What are the problem areas I should pay attention to?

Thanks!
Congrats on taking the first step in pre-purchase insight!

Here is a list I compiled pre & post RX330 purchase:

Inspect/Inquire/Confirm replaced
  • timing belt - year/mileage recommendations for replacement
  • water pump - year/mileage recommendation and replaced many times when timing belt is completed as it's easy to complete at the same time
  • valve cover gaskets - also consider spark plug gaskets, too)
  • idler/tensioners - keeps all the accessory belts running smooth and quiet
  • spark plugs
  • low pressure power steering hose - can begin to 'seep' power steering fluid and cause to run low in power steering fluid reservoir
  • power steering rack - appears to be a common concern and worth inspecting
  • front/rear struts - worth a refresh if not completed; 160k miles is a lot of miles for any strut
  • bump stops for struts - mine nearly disintegrated while replacing struts
  • strut boots - these offer protection for the strut shaft; mine looked like onion rings
  • cv axle boot(s) - easy to re-pack and re-seal if CV clamps need to be replaced or loose
  • radiator - these seem to leak where the plastic and metal meet, also has a built-in transmission cooler in some models.
  • coolant - Toyota Long Life is Pink
  • cooling fan(s) - ensure they are both operational
  • battery - does it meet electrical load standards?
  • alternator - check to ensure it's charging correctly
  • starter - 160k could mean a lot of use
  • brake fluid - clear/light amber color is ideal/normal
  • in-cabin filter - ensure it's been changed; can reduce air flow
  • rubber door seals - these tend to rip/tear easier as rubber ages
  • transmission fluid - light red in color - similar to cherry 'kool-aid'
I'm sure there is more! A strong recommendation would be to pull together all the top items and throw them on a document to 'check-off'. It's peace of mind and can be used as a bargaining chip in negotiating a purchase.

Happy to help with any specific questions and looking forward to reading the outcome of your RX journey!
The following users liked this post:
LRX05 (02-19-18)