RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Warranty Enhancement-Cracked Dash Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 10:27 AM
Hobbes22
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

No way would I repair our dash. The covering material is almost disintegrating. Fixing current cracks would be pointless as there would be new ones in a month.

I personally think you’d have a hard time making a legitimate safety case out of this as long as the structural part of the passenger side airbag retains its integrity. There are all probably hundreds of thousands of cars driving around with dash cracks.

In the end, a consumer can always vote with their pocketbook.
Old 04-10-19, 11:09 AM
StacyRX330
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with you but the reason why I was concerned about safety (on top of pissed like everyone else) is that mine is beyond cracks- there are entire chunks coming off. I had looked into a repair when the first 1" x 1" piece came out but you're right- now that more have fallen off I realize there is just no repairing it; it needs to be completely replaced.

I will be giving my next Lexus auto purchase a great deal of consideration for sure.
The following users liked this post:
Hobbes22 (04-10-19)
Old 04-12-19, 05:31 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Toyota has gone above and beyond to address the Dashboard and side panels issues, in addition to some safety recalls they have launched.

The best lesson learned: Register on Lexus.com as an owner and pick the nearest Lexus dealer as your shop. Once in the database, you will receive notices, specially safety related recalls, in addition “warranty enhancements recalls.” Toyota has become one of the leading car makers in the world by respecting their car buyers by delivering best value for the money and treating the customers right.

I bought extended warranties on my Lexus cars. I am still on top (meaning the expense has been justified) considering the work completed by my Lexus dealer on defect recalls and specially enhancement recalls. You take in your car, get a loaner (this is where we get in trouble because we can drive the latest and greatest new cars and the probability of us ending with another Lexus car gets higher and higher). Not all dealers are equal, but mine has been great for the last 10 years. And as you get more service history, the higher probability that you are going to be considered positively on warranty and enhancement claims (ymmv).
Old 04-12-19, 06:31 AM
Turbotoys1
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great information. I just bought mine about 9 months ago I did regersrty it and did down load the lexus app kinda cool you can get the lexus service history of your car.Plus there is a area for recalls just type in your vin .
Old 05-22-19, 11:40 PM
Gold1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexia56

I have a 05 RX 330 and the dash just started to crack a few months ago. The car is older and I had been chalking it up to old age and was about to order a vinyl repair kit until I saw this post. I am second owner but have the original sales documents and called the selling dealer. Well so far, they will be taking the car in to look at the damage. They did not outright say anything about the car’s age although thanks to all of you I told them I am a member of this blog and that this is an apparent common problem that Lexus was taking responsibility for. Not sure what they will say in the end but I will keep you posted.
Mine is a 2006 RX330 and I have fully owned this vehicle since 2012 and keep up with the maintenance at a certified Lexus dealership but just started to see the visible cracks late 2017 and was never informed by mail or by the dealership about this recall until I randomly called in to Lexus to find out what can be done. My experience with the rep was a total waste of my time so much so that despite being in the market for an upgrade to a new Lexus, I promised to never purchase another Lexus and share my experience with all that cares to listen.
Old 05-23-19, 12:01 AM
Gold1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StacyRX330
Called local dealer today for info. I bought my '05 RX330 used 18 months ago, and never noticed the fine cracks in dash, but it was past the extended date anyway. Now there are chunks missing. Just gone. Actually took a sharpie to color in the lovely yellow foam under the leather. So much for driving a high end car.

Dealer told me they sometimes reissue recall/repair extension. He said there are SO many people affected- millions- that they might have needed a "break" and they might change. Fingers crossed. I was told over 1k for dash pad alone, not including labor.

I plan on writing to Lexus because they consider this to be purely cosmetic- but in my case anyway, it is safety too. I took my car to a guy that does repair work and he said he wouldn't touch it because if the airbag were to deploy, one of the "chunks" would become a missile in the car and he doesn't want the liability... I do not have high hopes but may be worth a try.

I've owned my 2006 RX330 vehicle since 2012 and keep up with the maintenance at a certified Lexus dealership but just started to see the visible cracks late 2017 . My airbag warning lights have been coming on and off since the cracks started and lately it has stayed ON. I'm scared the airbags may easily go off while driving if I run into a pot hole or a bad train track. I plan to do a diagnostics at the dealership on why my airbag lights came on, to find out if it's related to the cracked dash.
Old 05-23-19, 05:38 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Your airbag light is not related to the cracked dash. Unfortunately the dashboard replacement period has ended, if you are looking at claiming at a replacement. However you might have a great pull since you have been serviced at the Lexus dealer. Good luck.
Old 05-23-19, 06:03 AM
Turbotoys1
Driver School Candidate

Well if it was commen for car dashboard to crack at 10 years I whould say your on your own .I collect cars none have a cracked dash going all the way back to the 60s .Lexus drop the ball it's a pure low class move on theres when there trying to be a high class manufacturing company ..
mylexbaby (05-24-19)
Old 05-24-19, 07:49 AM
RX350LB
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Kudos to Toyota! (A contrarian view)

I called up Lexus two weeks ago about my new-to-me 2008 RX to go over recalls and related. The dashboard was specifically disallowed due to being outside of the 10 years from first use as well as the fogged headlamp replacement program. My dashboard and headlights are both fine, but more importantly, I was astonished that any car company would even make an offer like that in the first place. Ten years is a heck of a long time to cover non safety related issues, especially even down the road to second and third owners which is where most of these older RX's are now at this point. If GM offered to correct every faulty cosmetic feature they put out in the last decade, their ledgers would be in pretty rough shape.

I say kudos to Toyota for stepping up bigger than any other company I know of.

That said, Honda did tow in my '88 CRX and replace the ignition igniter (bad heat sink) for free after it was about 10-12 years old. That's a safety issue, though. Can't have cars suddenly dying out on the freeway.

Putting on my flame-retardant underwear now...
Carfan94 (09-19-20)
Old 05-24-19, 06:52 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by RX350LB
I say kudos to Toyota for stepping up bigger than any other company I know of.
I really cannot agree with this at all. If a $15K Kia does not do this but my $60K Lexus does, Toyota really screwed the pooch and I'm the pooch. Anything less that coming to my house and replacing the substandard, defective dashboard at my convenience is not stepping up.
The following 2 users liked this post by DennisMik:
Gold1 (05-24-19), mylexbaby (05-24-19)
Old 05-24-19, 07:01 PM
Turbotoys1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I really cannot agree with this at all. If a $15K Kia does not do this but my $60K Lexus does, Toyota really screwed the pooch and I'm the pooch. Anything less that coming to my house and replacing the substandard, defective dashboard at my convenience is not stepping up.
And the fact most did it after 8 years old for 40 plus thousand dollor SUVs what a joke.
The following 2 users liked this post by Turbotoys1:
Gold1 (05-24-19), mylexbaby (05-24-19)
Old 05-24-19, 07:56 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbotoys1
And the fact most did it after 8 years old for 40 plus thousand dollor SUVs what a joke.
Toyota offered replacement even 10-13 year old cars...

Not sure if there are 15 year old Kias on the road today. I rather have a cracked dashboard with a functioning car vs no car.
Carfan94 (09-19-20)
Old 05-24-19, 08:00 PM
Turbotoys1
Driver School Candidate

Well my 1969 ford is still on the road and has no cracked dash
mylexbaby (05-24-19)
Old 05-24-19, 09:28 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
Not sure if there are 15 year old Kias on the road today.
This may be true. After 5 - 6 years with a cheap car, you toss in a gallon or 2 of gas and a lit match and go buy another one.
Old 05-27-19, 03:56 PM
benjofive
Driver School Candidate

I agree. I have a cracked dash board also on my RX 350. Lexus is well aware that this is their issue however they hide behind the big corporation. I have called and spoke to their rep which is really a waste of time. I have owned low end cars and never had this issue!!!!

Quick Reply: Warranty Enhancement-Cracked Dash Replacement