RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

update navigation disks

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-17, 07:56 PM
gpoegpoe11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update navigation disks

Where can I get updated navigation disks
Old 12-29-17, 06:01 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I have bought a few from ebay and they work fine. What year is your RX? Lexus has stopped producing updates for the older systems.

2015.1/U30 is the latest update available for the gen 4 and was released in the fall of 2015
2016.1/U41 may be the last available for the gen 5 and was released the fall of 2016.
2017.1/U99 just came out for gen 6 in the fall of 2017 but not anything older.

Generation 4
2005-2006 RX330
2006 RX400h

Generation 5 Navigation
2007-2009 RX350
2007-2009 RX400h
Old 01-19-18, 09:47 AM
scotty6766
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for this info! Just ordered a disc!
Old 01-19-18, 10:05 AM
FloorJack
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 for the Ebay disc.
Old 01-20-18, 07:10 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

+1 for Waze and large cell phone. FREE and beats any outdated nav disk hands down(takes year to produce nav disk. In a year, it's automatically outdated)
The following users liked this post:
D4TINI (01-24-18)
Old 01-22-18, 08:32 AM
D4TINI
Driver School Candidate

Default nav

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
+1 for Waze and large cell phone. FREE and beats any outdated nav disk hands down(takes year to produce nav disk. In a year, it's automatically outdated)
who is Waze? how did you use your phone for free? and isn't a 2016 disk better than factory fresh that's maybe 9 years old or more?
Old 01-22-18, 09:03 AM
FloorJack
Rookie

Originally Posted by D4TINI
who is Waze? how did you use your phone for free? and isn't a 2016 disk better than factory fresh that's maybe 9 years old or more?
Waze is an app.

I believe you do need your phone to be active to use it.

If you want one that doesn't require an active mobile connection there is an app called Sygic that works pretty well.

I believe it uses the GPS locator on your phone vs an active data connection.

--

I recently updated my GPS disc for the sake of keeping it somewhat up to date (a lot of roads are currently being built close by) but it is hard to beat some of the apps and GPS units currently available (eg: google maps, Garmin, etc) Those apps & units feature live Traffic which is priceless to me. That said, I do like appreciate (and use) the map in the Lexus as well.
D4TINI (01-24-18)
Old 01-22-18, 09:26 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Waze is a peer to peer Traffic information app. By having it running on your phone you
are contributing to the collective by having your location and speed factored into the
average speed being displayed for the road you are on. You can add to the entire
system effectiveness by taking a moment to tap your screen to point out hazards you
have seen and everyone will benefit. No typing, just tap an icon to contribute.
Be aware that this app takes quite a bit of battery power to run, Highly recommended that
you keep your phone plugged in to charge while you drive.
D4TINI (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 02:48 PM
D4TINI
Driver School Candidate

Default new nav disk

thought I would check ebay and see what's is out there. Got a nav disk for $9.50. update 2016. got the part number from this site, thanks. followed the instructions I found on here and its working great. I haven't been out enough to see major changes, from the OEM disk. but I'll take it for the price.

great site you have here.
Old 01-26-18, 06:38 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Welcome to CL! The updates can be subtle, a Hotel changes affiliation from Holiday Inn
to Ramada so the phone number and icon change but of course the address remains.
We have had relatively little new highway construction (at least in the Midwest) but those
new streets will appear. There is a link in www.lexusdrivers.com to submit additions and
corrections that Lexus will pass on to the Database authors.
Old 01-27-18, 04:46 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thought I would check ebay and see what's is out there. Got a nav disk for $9.50. update 2016. got the part number from this site, thanks. followed the instructions I found on here and its working great. I haven't been out enough to see major changes, from the OEM disk. but I'll take it for the price.

great site you have here.
hey D4TINI, for $9.50 I just might get a new disk myself, even though I prefer Waze myself. Did your new disk change the nav functionality at all, e.g. do away with the "I agree" screen? (I had read that in another thread)

I think FloorJack meant you can use your phone without paying any more than you already pay to have a phone; it just uses data and as long as you have a plan with enough data there's no charge. The app itself is free.
And mcomer gave an excellent summary of Waze but you may not have gleaned that it is also factoring in traffic, something our factory units can't do. I've had both systems running and Waze often picks a different route (some neighborhoods complain that Waze has identified them as cut-throughs, increasing traffic on little side streets). I recently came to the end of a highway where I had to choose north or south on the intersecting interstate. I was headed south and could see the backup ahead, and Waze directed me north. I assumed it would put me on some back roads but instead it had me go north just one exit to reverse direction and I sailed by the backup.
Old 01-28-18, 07:58 AM
D4TINI
Driver School Candidate

Default nav disk

I don't remember seeing any "I agree" but we have had some new roads and they are all on the new maps. It didn't change the look or any functions. think I got more POI though. Your phone, google, maze or whatever you may use might be better then the factory nav. but it's an inexpensive upgrade and take seconds to do. nothing will ever be truly up to date. has anyone scene the google car? I have once in my area. I'm a mailman and we have new roads and houses going in everywhere.

thanks for all the help everyone
Old 01-29-18, 09:09 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

has anyone scene the google car?
y'know, I was about to say that the Google street view of my house has my old car in the driveway but I checked and not only is it my current car, but I'm in the photo looking in my trunk! I never did see the google car though!!

Old 01-29-18, 10:14 AM
FloorJack
Rookie

Originally Posted by djeddieo

I think FloorJack meant you can use your phone without paying any more than you already pay to have a phone; it just uses data and as long as you have a plan with enough data there's no charge. The app itself is free.
To clarify: I installed the Sygic app via wifi at home on an old iphone 4 we had sitting around and when we hit the road the GPS worked. The iPhone was a sprint phone that was disconnected.
bobbokep (01-29-18)
Old 02-05-18, 12:47 PM
trhymes
Driver School Candidate

Bought GPS update disc on eBay, doesn’t want to load in the CD player. Is there some trick to this?

Quick Reply: update navigation disks