RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Did your RX originally come with lug nut wheel locks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-17, 07:18 AM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Did your RX originally come with lug nut wheel locks?

I had flat tire recently. While trying to remove the tire, I realized that I couldn't remove the wheels because of a lug nut wheel lock

If you're the first owner did your 2004-2009 RX come with these types of locks as OEM? Where is the key for the lug nut?

Old 11-10-17, 07:28 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Yes, OEM Toyota/Lexus, I bought my car used so it came with it but if it is OEM, dealer car came from (hopefully local) usually has the key code for the lock in their system. Took it out right away and replaced with all new non-lock aftermarket lugs. If someone wants my wheels, take em, not worth the trouble of the lock.
The following users liked this post:
ToledoRX (11-10-17)
Old 11-10-17, 07:41 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

The lock is normally kept on your glove box compartment, sometimes they leave it on the tool pouch in the trunk. The new cars do not get off the assembly line with locks on. It is a dealer installed item. You can get a key to your lock by taking a picture and sending it to McGard (assuming it is this type). It will cost around $18. Ask me how I know. I have removed all my locks on my cars. I do not park on suspicious locations so I do not invite something bad. And I do not have fancy rims to worry about, they are all original Lexus rims.

As far as I know there are only 7 or 8 keys. Means that there are only 7 to 8 types of lock, hence when they see the photo, they know what to send for the key. I found out about this from a Lexus Tech. He brought home a set of keys for me to unlock mine. I replaced the locks with normal lugs.
ToledoRX (11-10-17)
Old 11-10-17, 11:42 AM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just dealt with this issue today. I could not find the lock key anywhere.
Service tech hammered an appropriate sized 12pt deep socket over the lug and removed it with his impact wrench.
Old 11-10-17, 12:31 PM
5W40
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

1:Ham a socket break it free [not try but should works]
2:Use emergency wheel lug nut remover [ works for RX330]

3: Take photo and email to McGard get a new key [works for BMW E71 at second time]

Good luck!
Old 11-10-17, 12:38 PM
Merle
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the past, the wheel locks on my vehicles have been stored with the lug wrench / jack. Check in the back where you have the little tool kit and you may just find it there (because you usually blow a tire, go for the lug wrench, find the lock, and then continue on)

Cheapest source for replacement lug nuts?
tawm (01-02-20)
Old 11-10-17, 01:07 PM
lexrod6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned 3 Lexi, and they ALL came with the darn wheel locks. I have a feeling they don't leave the stealerships without them.

I paid a local tire shop to remove them and just put on regular lugs for $15. The local tire shop said they have a tool that would remove them once, but couldn't use them again. I said sounds good, get rid of them.
Old 11-10-17, 01:40 PM
2for1
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Merle
In the past, the wheel locks on my vehicles have been stored with the lug wrench / jack. Check in the back where you have the little tool kit and you may just find it there (because you usually blow a tire, go for the lug wrench, find the lock, and then continue on)

Cheapest source for replacement lug nuts?

I sourced mine at Rock Auto for $1.18ea. Sold in boxes of 10. Get some other stuff there to spread out the shipping
Old 11-10-17, 02:17 PM
dropthatta
Driver School Candidate

I have a master key set
Old 11-10-17, 03:23 PM
Merle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2for1
I sourced mine at Rock Auto for $1.18ea. Sold in boxes of 10. Get some other stuff there to spread out the shipping
Thanks! Usually an oil filter (or three) plus air filters makes up for shipping costs!
Old 11-10-17, 03:34 PM
mylexbaby
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe this is a scheme to sell the lock nuts at a premium, and then sell regular replacements to bump up total revenue from each Lexus sold?

Ha!

(We still have ours and are too 'cheap' to buy regular replacements.)

Last edited by mylexbaby; 11-19-17 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-10-17, 03:35 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Long story short, I put air into the tires so that it held enough pressure for me to drive it to a shop where I it swapped with regular (non-locking) lug nuts.

It turned out a nail had punctured my tire, but the tire could hold enough pressure that I could drive to the tire shop and have them patch the leak.

Like the other posters mentioned, I am fairly certain that this was not a factory installed option, but rather something that the dealer installed.

When I called up the dealership service, they mentioned that if I couldn't find the keys, I would need to have it towed to them for removal (yeah right)

One more way for the dealer to screw me over. With the locks I couldn't swap tires or do any routine maintenance.
Old 11-19-17, 03:06 PM
Denvermgb
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are most folks on here getting rid of the locks? I lost mine, had to go to stealership, they charged me $25, so I got two just in case...
Old 11-19-17, 07:27 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

On the second day I had the car, I removed the locks and put on regular lug nuts.
Old 11-20-17, 11:21 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I have enjoyed not having to use the key to remove the lock. None of my rims use locks anymore.

The chances of your rims being stolen is so low. Unless you are parking in an area with a high potential crime rate. Wheels are hard to sell, just because of the bulkiness of it. Secondly, who caries a jack and hollow blocks? Too much of an effort .

If we have standard aluminum OEM rims, they are not worth that much in the aftermarket scene.

Just saying.

Quick Reply: Did your RX originally come with lug nut wheel locks?