RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Key programming question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-17, 09:12 AM
simplyfred
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valet Key

Thanks i get that, as obviously the valet key and master are recognised separately, and can see why that is done too.
i gather that the master key transponder can be reprogrammed to work with the ECU,
But can the remote be reprogrammed too.
Just having two keys working in the ignition would be great anyway as entry with key is still possible, but would the alarm go off if i lose the only real one or does the transponder turn alarm off as well as immobiliser.
I can use spare to get in if i lock key inside, is it possible to clone transponder and remote together or am i just stuffed as we say in UK (******ed)

Thank you for helping this far anyway
Old 10-16-17, 07:02 PM
carlfordrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

djgrubber.
the keys from ebay have a chip inside that you have to follow instructions to get your ecu to accept it. If you can't get it to accept it you need a small obdii programmer to plug in to the port and then the ecu will accept the chip but at this point it will make the car run but the remote portion of the key will not lock and unlock as a key fob. That takes the other programmer that is listed in my original post the vcx one. There is a link in that post to see from it came. The smaller programmer that makes the chip get accepted comes from the buy that makes the keys. He cuts the keys from an acceptable picture that you send to him and then he checks the picture and lets you know if he can do it. The quality of the picture determines if he can or not.

Once the chip is accepted by the ecu then the car will start but the remote has to be programmed using the VCX thing.
If I lock the doors with one key and unlock the car with the other key that the remote on that key has not been programmed the alarm does NOt go off. Remember the chip was accepted by the ecu already. The remote portion is just that it is only a fob and has nothing to do with the chip. There are 2 portions to every key the chip and then remote. My valet key does not have remote buttons or a remote but it unlocks and drives the car and still does NOT do the glove box like my keys with the remotes on them.

I think you are calling the valet key a service key or at least that's what I am thinking. Each key has 2 parts. Part 1 is the recognizing by the ECU and Part 2 is the remote. Both parts are separate. The 3rd part is metal part that is the key itself. My car is an 07rx400h if that matters. I have no push button start or touch the handle stuff on this older car.

The key guys on ebay 1010keys will answer your emails via ebay messaging if you want to talk to them. The VCX guy link is in my original post and he will answer your messages too.
Carl
The following users liked this post:
djgrubber (10-17-17)
Old 10-17-17, 03:55 AM
djgrubber
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carlfordrx
djgrubber.
the keys from ebay have a chip inside that you have to follow instructions to get your ecu to accept it. If you can't get it to accept it you need a small obdii programmer to plug in to the port and then the ecu will accept the chip but at this point it will make the car run but the remote portion of the key will not lock and unlock as a key fob. That takes the other programmer that is listed in my original post the vcx one. There is a link in that post to see from it came. The smaller programmer that makes the chip get accepted comes from the buy that makes the keys. He cuts the keys from an acceptable picture that you send to him and then he checks the picture and lets you know if he can do it. The quality of the picture determines if he can or not.

Once the chip is accepted by the ecu then the car will start but the remote has to be programmed using the VCX thing.
If I lock the doors with one key and unlock the car with the other key that the remote on that key has not been programmed the alarm does NOt go off. Remember the chip was accepted by the ecu already. The remote portion is just that it is only a fob and has nothing to do with the chip. There are 2 portions to every key the chip and then remote. My valet key does not have remote buttons or a remote but it unlocks and drives the car and still does NOT do the glove box like my keys with the remotes on them.

I think you are calling the valet key a service key or at least that's what I am thinking. Each key has 2 parts. Part 1 is the recognizing by the ECU and Part 2 is the remote. Both parts are separate. The 3rd part is metal part that is the key itself. My car is an 07rx400h if that matters. I have no push button start or touch the handle stuff on this older car.

The key guys on ebay 1010keys will answer your emails via ebay messaging if you want to talk to them. The VCX guy link is in my original post and he will answer your messages too.
Carl
hello again, many thanks for your comprehensive reply. It all makes sense and I agree with all your points. I did not know that there is a Service Key. My key is grey, it does not open glove box and it still has three buttons on it that work. (There is no separate remote, buttons are on the key)

I could not find any link in your earlier posts. I found a different post in a different topic where you posted this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019497068...708&rmvSB=true I guess that this is the programmer you were talking about

When I was talking about locking/unlocking, I meant locking the car with the remote first (Lock Button) and then unlocking it with a second key (using the metal part only). I wonder what would happen then? My guess is that it would trigger the alarm and without disarming the alarm with the remote the car would not start. But on the other hand I read somewhere in the manual that during such an occurrence the car would start and that the alarm would turn itself off after 28 seconds or so. If this was true, I would not be so much bothered about having a second remote working. As long as I could get into the car and start it I would be happy.
;-)
Old 10-17-17, 04:03 AM
djgrubber
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by simplyfred
Thanks i get that, as obviously the valet key and master are recognised separately, and can see why that is done too.
i gather that the master key transponder can be reprogrammed to work with the ECU,
But can the remote be reprogrammed too.
Just having two keys working in the ignition would be great anyway as entry with key is still possible, but would the alarm go off if i lose the only real one or does the transponder turn alarm off as well as immobiliser.
I can use spare to get in if i lock key inside, is it possible to clone transponder and remote together or am i just stuffed as we say in UK (******ed)

Thank you for helping this far anyway
Hi simplyfred, my understanding is that the Master Key Transponder should be programmable to work with the ECU. The question is, is it the Master Key Transponder from your vehicle or some other Toyota. Your seller could have only cut the key (he copied your Valet Key Pattern) and gave you a different key.

carlfordrx explained it very well in an earlier post. Because your Lexus is from 2007 I think you may need to buy the programmer that carlfordrx used to add a new key to your vehicle.

I bet that the best course of action is to contact the ebay seller who cuts the keys, explain the problem, send him the pictures and see what he is going to tell you. Please share your answers here because it might be helpful.
Old 10-17-17, 05:26 AM
simplyfred
Driver School Candidate

Default Valet Key

Hi sorry if i've muddied the water here calling the Valet key the Service key but some of my older cars called them that and the only difference with those keys was they didn't open the glove box.
But then they didn't have a chip in them.
In my 2007 RX400h manual it shows 2 Black Master Keys, 1 Grey Valet Key and a Key Number Plate and power back door set all have 3 buttons, without power door only 2
My Valet key is 3 button type, and the Toyota Master Key is 3 button type also.
Where i live Valet parking doesn't exist and my insurane would be null and void if i ever gave any key to someone to park for me.
I'd never see the car again other than on a police chase program on TV
The last time i gave a Valet key to a garage to get car serviced i found that something had been stolen from the glove box, and later found a key under the mat that fitted.
So I'm sure the guy i bought the car from had access to a Toyota garage for the same cut key with remote but didn't bother to have it programmed.
I only lost a cheap tyre pressure gauge from the glove box but gained a spare key for my new Ford Cortina but it opened my eyes to who gets my keys.

I have seen on other parts of this forum mention of Autolocksmiths being able to cut new keys and program them to suit transponder and remote straight from the ECU even if you have no keys at all.
Most of them will come out in a van and do it in a coulpe of hours, so i will see how much they charge and let you know how i get on.
Old 10-17-17, 10:41 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

There is a lot of confusion about the valet key. Being in the United States, I only have experience on the cars sold here. How similar or different the U.S. cars are when compared to those in Great Britain, Europe or Australia is something I don't know.

In simplyfred's post above, he indicated that the valet key had the buttons of the keyfob remote. The United States cars don't have that. The U.S. valet key will open the door locks and start the car, but it will not fit into the glove box. I had a Nissan Maxima and discovered that the reason the valet key would not open the glove box and the trunk (boot) was because it was a different thickness and would not fit.

Looking at my 2007 RX, this is not the case. Of course the two companies would not do the same thing. The reason the valet key will not fit into the glove box lock is because of a slightly different shape of the key's edge. The master key has a raised ridge on it, whereas the valet key does not. If you look into the glove box lock you can see the groove for this ridge.
Attached Thumbnails Key programming question-valet-and-master-keys.jpg  
Old 10-17-17, 07:00 PM
simplyfred
Driver School Candidate

Default Valet Key

Hi Denis the UK keys are just like yours and the Valet Key and Master Key have remote operation too.
It looks like the Toyota and Lexus keys are exactly the same and that's not really surprising, as all one company.
In the UK was a carpenter and the master key in my eye has a rebate on the four outer edges, i think you call it rabbet(rabit archaic or North American term according to our dictionary)
A valet in the UK is a (gentleman's gentleman, or personal servant) in North America they park your cars (we park our own) the other guys as i pointed out are called car thieves, so if you are ever in the UK, keep your keys in your pocket if you want to see your car again.
I bought a 6 year old Grand Cherokee Jeep in 2004 and it finally died this year, more my fault than the car's, previous cars (mainly Fords) all died from rusty bodywork while engine still great, wish all cars were made from stainless steel like the Jeep.
Only owned 6 cars till this one and i'm now seventy and one Jeep Cherokee went up in flames before its time was up.
My son bought one of the first all electric Nissan Leaf's in the UK and I have been allowed to drive that a lot for a couple of years, and totally sold on Electric Cars as the way forward, with Solar Panels on the roof and staying out of a garage most of the time since i retired is great.
When the batteries give way over 200 miles,charge in less than half an hour, and there are lots of second hand electric cars around, then that's the way to go.
Think we are nearly there.
This is my first Hybrid with all the comforts and luxury of the Jeep,
4wheel drive not quite there but it kind of works, on petrol it's nearly on a par with the Jeep, big engine guzzler with the heavy foot, but regen braking and very light on the pedal and its closer to the Leaf.
Leaf accelerates like **** off the shovel but eats up the battery so much quicker, and its easy to forget because its so much fun showing BMW and Audi drivers the back of the car, even the Porche drivers its not all their road.
The Lexus lets the petrol kick in too quick and doesn't let you hold onto that electric surge before it starts sucking in the petrol, and puts me back in the Jeep petrol guzzler mode where i could see the petrol gauge on its way to zero.
Maybe a plugin Hybrid and bigger battery is on the drawing board, an OD button like the Jeep had to hold on to lower gear, to let the electric motor free, then regen like crazy when your foot comes off.
Perhaps even another Gear with more electric braking.
Yes i like the RX400h a lot and after only 3 weeks it's still teaching me how to drive it, not a go anywhere pull anything animal like the Jeep or Shogun i've driven, or the money saver rocket driven Nissan, that after 6 years hasn't even had a change of brake shoes, due to the regen, but goes through tyres at the same rate as the others, thanks to living in Milton Keynes UK, with more roundabouts (your American navigation voice calls them Rotary's) than any other city in the country.

Hope this one lasts me till they take my license and keys away or I fill a box, and i intend to enjoy driving it.
Old 10-17-17, 07:17 PM
carlfordrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

first I did post the link but in a post about techstream so anyway here is the link to the vxdiag guys
it came with a version 12.?.? software. I had to install the driver called vxmanager which was included to get it to recognize the vcx and my car.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/201949706826?rmvSB=true

here is a link for the 1010keys guys they also have a small orange programmer that plugs into the obd port and automatically programs the chip in the new key.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/1010keys?_t...754&rmvSB=true

Again I did program the rear hatch to open on touch of the switch, turned off the DRL and the Seatbelt buzzer. Also for those interested I got a newer GPS disc and it got rid of the press I AGREE on startup as well as newer map information. here is the link for that disc

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2009-S...53.m2749.l2649

Thanks guys and good luck
Carl
Old 10-21-17, 01:01 PM
simplyfred
Driver School Candidate

Hi been looking around the forums and found that most Auto-locksmiths will cut & program all keys for any make of car including Lexus even if you lose all of your keys,
They can open the locked car without damage, and read the key number from the ECU, then program the ECU to all the keys and the remote is programmed too probably using the sequence of turning key and opening and closing the door, as mentioned on the forum.
I'm going to try one out to see what they charge.
Lexus dealer told me i would need to replace locks and get keys programmed costing over £1000 as i only had the valet key and no master.
The only difference with master and valet key is the 4 outer edges are rebated slightly to fit the glove box and the ECU can be programmed so any key can be recognised as master or valet according to the tech guys.
So i will try the auto-locksmiths first before i have a go at the dealer for misinforming me.
They should be able to reprogram my key to master and maybe i'll change the remotes back, but do i really need a valet key anyway.
Anything a locksmith can do a car thief can too.
Think its time to look for my old Crooklock that used to hook round the steering wheel and accelerator pedal, chain up the doorhandles inside and climb out the window or the back door.
Am i now getting a bit paranoid, maybe thats why the dealer lied to me.
Old 10-23-17, 08:22 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by simplyfred
Hi been looking around the forums and found that most Auto-locksmiths will cut & program all keys for any make of car including Lexus even if you lose all of your keys,
They can open the locked car without damage, and read the key number from the ECU, then program the ECU to all the keys and the remote is programmed too probably using the sequence of turning key and opening and closing the door, as mentioned on the forum.
I'm going to try one out to see what they charge.
Lexus dealer told me i would need to replace locks and get keys programmed costing over £1000 as i only had the valet key and no master.
The only difference with master and valet key is the 4 outer edges are rebated slightly to fit the glove box and the ECU can be programmed so any key can be recognised as master or valet according to the tech guys.
So i will try the auto-locksmiths first before i have a go at the dealer for misinforming me.
They should be able to reprogram my key to master and maybe i'll change the remotes back, but do i really need a valet key anyway.
Anything a locksmith can do a car thief can too.
Think its time to look for my old Crooklock that used to hook round the steering wheel and accelerator pedal, chain up the doorhandles inside and climb out the window or the back door.
Am i now getting a bit paranoid, maybe thats why the dealer lied to me.
Dealer is trying to make a quick buck off you, so you are right. The easy route is what they told you but there is a second way which most locksmiths take and thus can charge you less, here's my experience:

I have used a specialty locksmith before on a RX330 with a lost single master key (no not my own car, and yes it was very dumb of them to only have one master). A specialty locksmith have special computer programs that will clear old and program new keys, the routine using key and door does not work in the case you do not have a working master, I asked. Although they would not disclose the program (and should not) I assume it just virginizes the EEPROM chip to take new keys which I believe Techstream can do also for only registered and licensed Toyota/Lexus Locksmiths but the easy route is to charge you ~$2500 USD and change everything related to the key alongside you paying to have the car towed to the dealership. This locksmith was $300 plus $50 for each key.

You also cannot use a valet to program a new masters no matter what anyone says, the only way is to A. use a master to program, B. virginize the ECU, valets have their own sequence of code compared to masters which the ECU detects so for this RX330 I opted to have the guy make 3 master keys and on my own Lexus which I purchased with 1 master key, I made 3 more masters for a total of 4 keys.

Sorry for the burst of info, this is a topic I know well as I've been doing remote starts for years and have worked with simple keys, to immobilizer keys, to the new smart keys. And I get to toy with different ignition tumblers.
Old 07-04-18, 03:31 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Also lexus has a "master List" of cars and their original keys serial # info.

They dont like to "virginize" (Erase all smart key data- and input all new keys one at a time" the ecu because then they would have to alter the master data base.

If a future purchaser bought the car and the keys were not original or had all been changed, he would not be able to get dealer help because their Database is not accurate to have new key or help to start
Old 07-05-18, 04:50 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by samsonn25
Also lexus has a "master List" of cars and their original keys serial # info.

They dont like to "virginize" (Erase all smart key data- and input all new keys one at a time" the ecu because then they would have to alter the master data base.

If a future purchaser bought the car and the keys were not original or had all been changed, he would not be able to get dealer help because their Database is not accurate to have new key or help to start
This is interesting to hear. While it makes sense, I think it's not the serial # they keep but the key code as serial numbers only track a single key while a key code can make the key blade for your car regardless the number of keys produced. I cut and programmed keys outside of the dealer (prices were through the roof) but am still able to get support as the key code doesn't change for the car unless all the locks and the ignition tumbler is changed from the ones that originally came with the car. Lexus was nice enough to provide me with my key code given I proved the car was mine and had the VIN ready.
Old 07-09-18, 06:49 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
This is interesting to hear. While it makes sense, I think it's not the serial # they keep but the key code as serial numbers only track a single key while a key code can make the key blade for your car regardless the number of keys produced. I cut and programmed keys outside of the dealer (prices were through the roof) but am still able to get support as the key code doesn't change for the car unless all the locks and the ignition tumbler is changed from the ones that originally came with the car. Lexus was nice enough to provide me with my key code given I proved the car was mine and had the VIN ready.
That's what I meant the key code. Supposedly there is a way to "edit" this Master List.

Because a dealer can reset the original ecu and still retain all original locks on car if all keys are lost.

Mercedes and BMW also have master Lists.

Old 10-19-18, 03:31 PM
MadDane
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys,

I need to program my 2007 RX400h keys and remotes. I only got one key with the car. It's a master as it opens and locks the glove box.
I've purchased 2 cut keys from 1010 on ebay and they both open the doors and turn in the ignition, but obviously won't start the car.

I also purchased 2 remote modules from here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Smart-remote-control-core-3Button-314-4MHz-for-Lexus-Remote-Key-FCC-ID-HYQ12BBT/292405567969?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Which are supposed to be the exact replacement for my make and year (they look identicle).

I'm waiting on a copy of Techstream (with cable) to arrive from ebay, to program the keys.

The one thing I CANNOT get to work is the programming of the remote modules. I've tried ALL the different methods, door opening insert remove key multiple times and the door locks NEVER cycle. The remotes light up and the batteries are new.

Could it be that my car is different since they only made them 3 years (2006 - 2008) ?

Thanks.
Claus

Last edited by MadDane; 10-20-18 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 10-20-18, 11:47 AM
MadDane
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone?

Help......

Quick Reply: Key programming question