RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Brake Reservoir Cap Not Holding Right

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-17, 05:56 PM
filmteknik
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Reservoir Cap Not Holding Right

2008 RX350 AWD

This is kinda odd but I was checking fluids and when I went to put the brake reservoir cap back on it doesn't really want to hold correctly and I am unable to see why. It seems to lock down but the part held by the rear tab is too-easily disengaged. The tabs are not broken nor bent that I can tell.

The cap has two tabs that stick up and go under part of the reservoir top so you put it on where they align and turn maybe a quarter turn until it locks. In so doing, the tabs go under a sort of ramp that pulls it tightly closed. You can point the little diamond towards the front of the vehicle and turn clockwise until the writing reads straight across OR, since the tabs seem to be symmetric, do the same thing 180° around. When I do this it does seem to lock but the back part is easily lifted. I am unable to see any flaw in the tabs or the part of the reservoir they engage.

It may have been some time since I had it off since you can see fluid level through the translucent reservoir but I definitely had it off a couple years back when I last replaced pads and had to syringe some fluid off to keep it from overflowing.

I guess I can order a new cap if that's what it is but since I cannot see what's wrong I don't know if that will fix it. Could it have something to do with the O ring that is part of the cap? It may be as simple as trying to bend the tab farther out but they do seem normal as is.

As I didn't feel it was holding sufficiently I have cleaned the area very thoroughly and used aluminum tape to further secure it but that seems almost embarrassing. But better than having it partly disengage and allowing water in.