RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Goodbye, old girl...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-17, 03:16 PM
LuckyPants
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Goodbye, old girl...

There should be a special level of Hell reserved for someone who does this to a Lexus:

16 year old kid driving past curfew (10:00PM in our state at that age) and not paying attention rear-ended us on an interstate exit on July 4th after the local fireworks were over. My daughter and mother-in-law who were in the back seat went to the emergency room with possible neck and back injuries, but fortunately they (and my son the next day) were diagnosed with just concussions and whiplash. My wife and I had minor strains, stiffness, and soreness, and both my legs were bruised from the knee to ankle from hitting the bottom of the dash.

Both our vehicles were totaled, and the other driver was ticketed for failure to stop and driving after curfew. We both had the same insurance company, so the settlement for us was quick and painless, and to be honest quite a bit more than I expected.

The old girl protected us well, considering how hard the impact was (I'm guessing 45-50mph). Even though the vehicle is now considerably shorter than it once was, we escaped with what I consider minor injuries at worst. This was my first Lexus, which I bought pretty much on impulse after my previous vehicle, a Honda CR-V, was totaled when a tornado destroyed a large portion of our town back in 2013. It was a 2004 with 135k miles, but it still looked and drove like new, not a spot of rust and more solid than any domestic vehicle half her age.
Old 07-22-17, 03:47 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well the upside, along with everyone being pretty much okay, is you now get to shop for a new RX!
Old 07-22-17, 04:22 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Sorry to see it go but glad your family is safe. I couldn't imagine that impact on my corolla. Is a new RX on the way or are you going to switch it up?

I've been to that restaurant across the street before on wim from Champaign to Peoria but forgot where it was exactly as it was a quick pit stop, is that by Morton, IL?
Old 07-22-17, 04:27 PM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Great to hear everyone escaped with minor injuries compared to one could imagine just by the condition of the vehicle.
You can always replace a Rx but you can never replace family members.
Old 07-22-17, 04:35 PM
LuckyPants
Driver

Originally Posted by mdbrown
Well the upside, along with everyone being pretty much okay, is you now get to shop for a new RX!
Already did, and forgot to mention that in the first message. I picked up my new (to me) 2013 RX350 last Monday. I had briefly considered a Highlander or Venza since they're similar vehicles, but I really just wanted another RX. Found one with the same color exterior and interior as my old one since I fear change.
Old 07-22-17, 04:41 PM
LuckyPants
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
Sorry to see it go but glad your family is safe. I couldn't imagine that impact on my corolla. Is a new RX on the way or are you going to switch it up?

I've been to that restaurant across the street before on wim from Champaign to Peoria but forgot where it was exactly as it was a quick pit stop, is that by Morton, IL?
Already picked up a 2013 RX -- really liked my old one and decided I wanted to stay.

The picture is by the exit in East Peoria just after you come down the bluff going towards the river (westbound). Due to the traffic from the fireworks the eastbound exit was backed up all the way onto the interstate. We stopped, but the kid behind us didn't.
Old 07-22-17, 06:55 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by LuckyPants
Already did, and forgot to mention that in the first message. I picked up my new (to me) 2013 RX350 last Monday. I had briefly considered a Highlander or Venza since they're similar vehicles, but I really just wanted another RX. Found one with the same color exterior and interior as my old one since I fear change.
Already picked up a 2013 RX -- really liked my old one and decided I wanted to stay.

The picture is by the exit in East Peoria just after you come down the bluff going towards the river (westbound). Due to the traffic from the fireworks the eastbound exit was backed up all the way onto the interstate. We stopped, but the kid behind us didn't.
Great to hear, after owning an RX from a highlander myself, it's hard to go back to a Highlander or down to a Venza. That sounds about right too for the location, thanks! Need to head out there sometime again.
Old 07-25-17, 11:26 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Cars are repairable/replaceable but not the driver....
Old 07-26-17, 04:56 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

There should be a special level for anyone who does this to any vehicle, Lexus or otherwise. Glad to hear that you and your family survived with relatively minor injuries! We have had our vehicles rear ended but nothing anywhere near that severe.
Old 07-29-17, 03:38 AM
FactoryRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats impressive damage !! anyway it seams that just the cargo area has been damaged, luckily for the rear passengers... glad you are all ok !
Old 07-29-17, 03:32 PM
LuckyPants
Driver

Originally Posted by kickin8
Cars are repairable/replaceable but not the driver....
That's something that was really driven home for us after the tornado (which is how I ended up buying this Lexus). Your family, friends, and neighbors cannot be replaced -- everything else is just "stuff".
Old 07-29-17, 03:37 PM
LuckyPants
Driver

Originally Posted by FactoryRX
thats impressive damage !! anyway it seams that just the cargo area has been damaged, luckily for the rear passengers... glad you are all ok !
Thanks! After the accident there is no *way* I would ever put anyone in the 3rd row of a vehicle like a Toyota Highlander. That puts them right in the crumple zone, and I'm not sure they would have survived, at least not without serious injuries.
Old 07-31-17, 09:29 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Actually did its job, collapsed the crumple zone to protect the cage.
Old 07-31-17, 11:15 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks! After the accident there is no *way* I would ever put anyone in the 3rd row of a vehicle like a Toyota Highlander. That puts them right in the crumple zone, and I'm not sure they would have survived, at least not without serious injuries.
One would assume that they would extend the passenger cage and reduce the crumple zone if a third row seat was installed. Unless you are an automotive engineer or trained investigator/auto adjuster it can be difficult to look at accident damage and understand how/why it collapsed as it did.
Old 08-01-17, 02:36 AM
FactoryRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think in this case the cargo area is actually designed to collapse for protecting the rear passengers!