RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Cracked dash on 2005 RX330

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 09:34 AM
LauraH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked dash on 2005 RX330

I have 2 new cracks on my 2005 RX330 dash. I remembered getting a recall notice, but I just called the dealership and they said the recall has expired and now I have to pay out of pocket. That is really unacceptable. The cracks did not appear until very recently.

Can someone please contact me with any help for getting Lexus to take care of it?

Thanks!

LauraH
Old 07-14-17, 10:53 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

I suppose the best bet would be to contact Lexus Corporate, hopefully with a goodwill gesture for a Lexus owner, they will approve a no charge replacement.
If that fails, you could also try to negotiate a reasonable, fair price for the replacement. That's my 2 cents worth, hopefully a CL Member who recently
went through the same issue can chime in & provide some information.
Old 07-16-17, 09:20 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Dang... that's my fear with our LS... I can tell the dash isn't 100% and warranty expired..
Door panels are in order

Last edited by joedaddy1; 07-16-17 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-16-17, 10:44 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, I barely made it to get my dash replaced. That said, had they turned me down I wouldn't have been upset. I can't fathom the attitude that a company should be expected to replace a cosmetic item on a 10-12 year old vehicle.
Old 07-16-17, 05:12 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

What if you didn't make the date? The dash is about $1600 I believe. You would be okay with paying that? I wouldn't be. I've never seen a car with cracked dash before...everrrrr.

The RX and LS were the cars with highest cost of repairs in any of the cars we'be owned which includes Germans.
I am impressed with Lexus' commitment to customer satisfaction on the dash replacements and brake actuators.
I won't hesitate to buy another Lexus in the near future due to those warranty extensions.

My family is a honda/acura convert to Lexus. Was happy with Honda until they refused to pay the $1,500 transmission repair because my VIN didn't exactly fall in the warranty extension.
Old 07-16-17, 07:39 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
What if you didn't make the date? The dash is about $1600 I believe. You would be okay with paying that? I wouldn't be. I've never seen a car with cracked dash before...everrrrr.

The RX and LS were the cars with highest cost of repairs in any of the cars we'be owned which includes Germans.
I am impressed with Lexus' commitment to customer satisfaction on the dash replacements and brake actuators.
I won't hesitate to buy another Lexus in the near future due to those warranty extensions.

My family is a honda/acura convert to Lexus. Was happy with Honda until they refused to pay the $1,500 transmission repair because my VIN didn't exactly fall in the warranty extension.
I believe I stated in my post that I wouldn't be upset. Regardless of the purchase price the manufacturer's responsibility has to end at some point and it's unreasonable to expect an automobile manufacturer to warrant a vehicle a dozen years after it's sell date. So tell me, when does their responsibility end? 15 years? 50 years? If you've "never seen a car with a cracked dash before...everrrrr" then I would submit that you are simply too young and have not seen that many cars. There's a very good reason that there are companies that specialize in making dash covers.
Old 07-17-17, 02:56 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mdbrown
I believe I stated in my post that I wouldn't be upset. Regardless of the purchase price the manufacturer's responsibility has to end at some point and it's unreasonable to expect an automobile manufacturer to warrant a vehicle a dozen years after it's sell date. So tell me, when does their responsibility end? 15 years? 50 years? If you've "never seen a car with a cracked dash before...everrrrr" then I would submit that you are simply too young and have not seen that many cars. There's a very good reason that there are companies that specialize in making dash covers.
My dash isn't cracked, no idea if it was replaced although I would try to have it replaced if it does crack....
if refused, I wouldn't put up a stink since not all can be perfect on a 05 RX330. I have seen plenty of dashes cracked in my days.
I once owned 2 Taxis vehicles, the Taxi Commission ordered me to replace a cracked dash or take the Impala off the road.
I put up a stink & told them the dash has nothing to do with the Safety Inspection.
I spent the next day at the Wreckers replacing the dash, lost the income for that taxi for the day & the regular driver lost her income for the day also.
Although I doubt I would try replacing a dash on the RX330 if it ever cracks.
Old 07-17-17, 08:54 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

I can't say that I've driven more/less cars than you. I am only basing my opinion on the luxury cars I've had contact with in the past.
Responsibility ends when the warranty ends, not in 15 years. No one mentioned that cars should be trouble-free for a certain amount of years.
Again, I think Lexus is extending the warranties based on principle and marketing. It worked on me. They sold a new GS and possibly another new Lexus this winter.

Companies specializing in dash covers? There are companies also specializing in VHS.
Old 07-17-17, 09:38 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

I can't say that I've driven more/less cars than you. I am only basing my opinion on the luxury cars I've had contact with in the past.
Responsibility ends when the warranty ends, not in 15 years. No one mentioned that cars should be trouble-free for a certain amount of years.
Again, I think Lexus is extending the warranties based on principle and marketing. It worked on me. They sold a new GS and possibly another new Lexus this winter.

Companies specializing in dash covers? There are companies also specializing in VHS.
The warranty for these vehicles ended after 4 years/50,000 miles... whichever came first. Lexus extended the warranty because it was a chronic issue much like the water-based primer issue that plagued GM cars in the 80's (and GM extended the warranty for that particular issue.)

As for the other, there are companies that specialize in hand-made swords too but they are hardly comparable to a dash cover manufacturer and therefor not relevant to this conversation.
Old 07-18-17, 01:37 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

The warranty for these vehicles ended after 4 years/50,000 miles... whichever came first. Lexus extended the warranty because it was a chronic issue much like the water-based primer issue that plagued GM cars in the 80's (and GM extended the warranty for that particular issue.)

As for the other, there are companies that specialize in hand-made swords too but they are hardly comparable to a dash cover manufacturer and therefor not relevant to this conversation.
uhhhh... thanks...
Old 07-18-17, 05:40 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Smile

uhhhh... thanks...
You're very welcome
Old 07-18-17, 06:13 PM
JLSC
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The dash in my 2005 RX330 developed a crack last weekend. I phone the Lexus call center today and was unfortunately advised that while my vehicle qualified for the dash replacement (based on the VIN), the deadline was May 31, 2017....too bad on the timing!
Old 11-08-17, 01:10 PM
hjanweja
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JLSC
The dash in my 2005 RX330 developed a crack last weekend. I phone the Lexus call center today and was unfortunately advised that while my vehicle qualified for the dash replacement (based on the VIN), the deadline was May 31, 2017....too bad on the timing!
Hi, what did you do finally? I experienced the same issue, cracked in September and they said warranty expired on it. Any suggestions? Thanks !
Old 11-08-17, 01:12 PM
hjanweja
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LauraH
I have 2 new cracks on my 2005 RX330 dash. I remembered getting a recall notice, but I just called the dealership and they said the recall has expired and now I have to pay out of pocket. That is really unacceptable. The cracks did not appear until very recently.

Can someone please contact me with any help for getting Lexus to take care of it?

Thanks!

LauraH
Hi, what did you do finally? I experienced the same issue, cracked in September and they said warranty expired on it. Any suggestions? Thanks !