RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Anyone have a silent RX350 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-17, 11:34 AM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a silent RX350 engine?

Does anyone have one that in average quiet driving conditions (not tonnes of traffic, wind etc.) where the ticking on acceleration is not audible or nearly not audible?

I am pretty sure what I hear is "normal" injector noise for these models. I switched from 5W-30 to Mobil 0-20 thinking there might be an improvement but it's either the same or maybe worse.

I've crammed dynamat into the engine cover and crevices by injectors and this has made a good improvement. Being OCD I might go further and do the hood and maybe firewall. The latter I suspect will be more effective but hard to do.

I'm aware of theories other than injector noise including:
piston slap - possible until engine warmed but a problem if continuing during warmed up operation
messed up vvti - TSB out for but would probably be a more mecahnical sound accompanied by DTCs
less than perfect factory zeroing of hydraulic lifter clearances

My understanding is that even new these engines were "noisy," and I'm curious if this is more often than not the case... an per subject does anyone have silence or near silence?

Thanks!
Old 05-23-17, 04:48 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

They are known to be pretty noisy. Mine is somewhat, but I don't hear it in the cabin. Really only do with the hood open and engine cool. Running the thinner 0w20 oil won't help it either. Engine calls for 30 weight at operating temps. Full syn 5w30 is best IMO.
Old 05-23-17, 04:58 PM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Originally Posted by BlackLexRX
They are known to be pretty noisy. Mine is somewhat, but I don't hear it in the cabin. Really only do with the hood open and engine cool. Running the thinner 0w20 oil won't help it either. Engine calls for 30 weight at operating temps. Full syn 5w30 is best IMO.
Thx. If you have the windows up, A/C or heating off, stereo off (lol) smooth road, little wind, little traffic or other noises can you hear ticking on acceleration at all when warm? How good is your hearing?
Old 05-23-17, 05:52 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

No, I have not ticking or noise from my engine under those conditions. 07RX350 79k miles. Good hearing. 5w30 Mobil1 High Mileage full syn. 6.4 qts. Switch back to the recommended 5w30, run full syn. Don't worry and drive it. According to the tsib, loose cam bolts and VVTi issues will throw DTC's and MIL
Old 05-23-17, 09:35 PM
lexisaurus
Rookie

No, I have not ticking or noise from my engine under those conditions. 07RX350 79k miles. Good hearing. 5w30 Mobil1 High Mileage full syn. 6.4 qts. Switch back to the recommended 5w30, run full syn. Don't worry and drive it. According to the tsib, loose cam bolts and VVTi issues will throw DTC's and MIL
Hmmm. I am on M1 0-20. Believe 0 much better for winter starts here. Are you saying go back to 5w30 because you believe it's best (even though other 2GR-FE's suggest 0-20) OR are you suggesting that it actually makes a difference to the sound?

Thx
Old 05-24-17, 05:51 AM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Both. You can't go off what the newer gens are spec'd. I asked corporate already about this anyhow. Several times. Last time they had an engineer answer. 2ND gen, 5w30. I live above 10,000 ft in Colorado. It's still snowing here. 5w30, no problems.
Old 05-24-17, 10:38 AM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Both. You can't go off what the newer gens are spec'd. I asked corporate already about this anyhow. Several times. Last time they had an engineer answer. 2ND gen, 5w30. I live above 10,000 ft in Colorado. It's still snowing here. 5w30, no problems.
OK. I am in Winnipeg... here we get -30 in winters. I think I will try then 5-30 summer, 0-30 winter.

Sorry to keep asking but tell me again... you cannot hear a single injector or valve sound AT ALL (even if considered normal) right?

thx!
Old 05-24-17, 01:03 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't. Unless I open the hood and remove the engine cover, if I do that I can faintly hear the injectors ticking away. Under normal circumstances I hear nothing, it is among the quietest vehicles I've owned and that includes the very quiet ES300 I owned prior to this.
Old 05-24-17, 03:10 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mdbrown
I can't. Unless I open the hood and remove the engine cover, if I do that I can faintly hear the injectors ticking away. Under normal circumstances I hear nothing, it is among the quietest vehicles I've owned and that includes the very quiet ES300 I owned prior to this.
Same. Only hear it with the hood open.
Old 05-24-17, 11:04 PM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Interesting. Thanks for the replies guys. Apparently dealerships call this normal, many people claim that even brand new they had these sounds etc.. including the other vehicles that share this engine. Hmmm
Old 05-25-17, 08:24 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by lexisaurus
Interesting. Thanks for the replies guys. Apparently dealerships call this normal, many people claim that even brand new they had these sounds etc.. including the other vehicles that share this engine. Hmmm
I agree that they are noisy engines. My ES350 for instance had 22,000 miles on it when I bought it last year and the engine is not silent. I test drove many other ES as well, and they all sounded the same. Not the typical sewing machine quiet engine that Toyota/Lexus is known for.
Old 05-25-17, 04:16 PM
tdsbigo
Driver School Candidate

I don't hear it in the cabin only with hood open. I have 5w-40 fully synthetic mobile 1 MB-229.5 in it bought my RX 350 from a Mercedes Benz dealer. I will switch to 5w-30 fully synthetic on next oil change.

Last edited by tdsbigo; 05-25-17 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-25-17, 08:17 PM
lexisaurus
Rookie

I switched today to to 5-30 synthetic. Turned out to be a waste of my Mobil 1 0W-20 (less than 2K miles on that.) I am a low mileage driver and really wanted to see if there would be a difference.

BlackLexRX are you driving with any A/C or heat on or windows open? I cannot hear the ticking on acceleration on medium fan, just barely on the setting between that and low and barely with windows open.

I think I'm perhaps just too fussy and it's probably normal noise which I'm leaning towards coming the injectors.... It almost seems like BlackLexRX's description is contrary to the majority?
Old 05-25-17, 08:41 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexisaurus
I switched today to to 5-30 synthetic. Turned out to be a waste of my Mobil 1 0W-20 (less than 2K miles on that.) I am a low mileage driver and really wanted to see if there would be a difference.

BlackLexRX are you driving with any A/C or heat on or windows open? I cannot hear the ticking on acceleration on medium fan, just barely on the setting between that and low and barely with windows open.

I think I'm perhaps just too fussy and it's probably normal noise which I'm leaning towards coming the injectors.... It almost seems like BlackLexRX's description is contrary to the majority?
I only hear engine noise with my hood open, or under heavy throttle, still not ticking really. Each RX is different, I bought mine with low mileage and it never missed a service. Before me it had throttle body and fuel system clean done at dealer at 60k, plus anything and everything the dealer could sell the prior owner on including low jack, weather tech, new hid's, you name it. I searched for several months before I bought it and it came down to it, or a certified 2011 Rav4 v6. It is a very good condx 07RX350. With the hood open I can hear some ticking, particularly at start up, but in the cabin no. If that puts me in some sort of minority, I can think of worse things, lol. Read back through the thread, just as many people say they only hear engine with hood open as did those who have noise in the cabin.
Old 05-25-17, 08:59 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

If you're concerned about your engine, perhaps you should have an oil analysis done at Blackstone or similar. They will be able to give you a better idea about the health of your motor. Then if all is ok, you could ignore that ticking.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a silent RX350 engine?