RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Beware - Valvoline Maxlife ATF ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-17, 08:04 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackLexRX
No, definately don't get that. Pretty sure transmission fluid these U151E transmissions use is Dexron IV fluid, not III. That's where the Type IV comes in (Toyota version) type 4.
As far as the technical aspect, I agree with you, since I am going with Toyota ATF T-IV....
although did you check out the price in the photo? That's the unbelievable part, that retailer must think either all Canadians are super wealthy or super stupid.
Old 05-06-17, 09:03 AM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Yeah, it's crazy money. That fluid is for expensive American muscle/collector cars; Ford, Chevrolet, etc. So, for example, if you had a 1969 Z28 SS, you'd want to put that in there.
Old 05-06-17, 09:10 AM
danthedj
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

As others have said you should be using Toyota WS fluid in your car. It's reasonably priced and (whether OP thinks Toyota is magically a scam because they call it a "lifetime fill" or not) is likely best for the car.
Old 05-09-17, 08:12 AM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danthedj
As others have said you should be using Toyota WS fluid in your car. It's reasonably priced and (whether OP thinks Toyota is magically a scam because they call it a "lifetime fill" or not) is likely best for the car.

I'm taking the risk of using something that I suspect might be even better...

In any event Valvoline says these are the same synthetic base. So I trust this.

Stuff reaks like cat ****.
Old 05-09-17, 09:36 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by lexisaurus
I'm taking the risk of using something that I suspect might be even better...

In any event Valvoline says these are the same synthetic base. So I trust this.

Stuff reaks like cat ****.
Please report back, by me Type IV isn't the cheapest and MaxLife MultiVehicle has proven itself on the fleet of Toyota's and Lexus' I maintain. So far so good on my RX but I will be changing the filter and doing another D&F soon.
Old 05-10-17, 07:42 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Stumbled upon your thread and wanted to add my two cents...

been running full syn Valvoline Max Life ATF in my SC430, Tacoma, Accord and Odyssey for years, no issues at all...just smooth shifting transmissions...I do a drain refill about every 12k miles.

Be sure to read page 3...a letter about this product.
http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

Last edited by Bgw70; 05-11-17 at 03:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Lexuswiz (05-10-17)
Old 05-23-17, 10:38 AM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
Please report back, by me Type IV isn't the cheapest and MaxLife MultiVehicle has proven itself on the fleet of Toyota's and Lexus' I maintain. So far so good on my RX but I will be changing the filter and doing another D&F soon.
Again the U151F calls for Toyota WS not Type IV.

So did multiple drains, fills pump troughs etc... total about 15L even did an additional day after running. Shifting seems smoother with no slipping between shifts when floored however I will be the first to admit that this could be my imagination... I didn't think there was anything particularily not right before the change out.

I'm at 95K miles now will comment in future if any issues etc.
Old 05-23-17, 04:08 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by lexisaurus
Again the U151F calls for Toyota WS not Type IV.

So did multiple drains, fills pump troughs etc... total about 15L even did an additional day after running. Shifting seems smoother with no slipping between shifts when floored however I will be the first to admit that this could be my imagination... I didn't think there was anything particularily not right before the change out.

I'm at 95K miles now will comment in future if any issues etc.
Thanks for the update, I'm not sure which version RX you have but my Lexus dealer recommended Type-IV for my RX330 AWD and not Type WS..... Strange. Either way, if it is Type WS, not using it anyways.
Old 05-25-17, 07:49 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I think the WS is backward compatible. The T-IV can not be used when WS is specified.
Old 07-25-17, 09:19 AM
chenderson
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Applied Mathematics - Non-OEM OK! "HIGHLY PROBABLY" NOT BAD (Hey, maybe even BETTER!)

The difference between the realistic non-OEM proponents and the obsessive OEM purists is like the difference between Applied Mathematicians and Theoretical Mathematicians, respectively. Think of the "longevity" aspect of choosing a fluid like that of "infinity" in math. Are we gonna have our cars forever? No, but we still TRY, right? But does the kool-aid that Toyota is selling us really stay sweet FOREVER?? Lexisaurus has a strong point about Toyota/Lexus "selling us" by claiming "lifetime" and "sealed tranny" and "world class ATF"; these are all just tactical selling-points from them, just to keep us drinking their kool-aid (to buy, both parts AND service, from them). It's a post-Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act tactic (i.e., where they once used to tell us that we "HAD" to buy their oil from them or else our "warranties would be voided" (i.e., "tie-in" sales), they can do no longer that, thanks to Federal Law; but so they resort to other "marketing tactics"). Think about it. Also, Toyota doesn't own petroleum refineries, do they? They don't make the oil. They get it through other channels; and probably some of the same exact channels that OTHER BRANDS DO!!! What the heck does "world class" mean, anyway? And why do they tell Americans (USA) that it's a "sealed tranny", and that it's "lifetime fluid", but recommend to Canada and Europe to change at 95k/100k?? Too many contradictions, and not enough "proof". I mean, does it really last "forever"? No. Credibility loss right there, folks. They can't claim this for real. So, cred-points lost in my book. And as a final morsel to chew on or think about: How do you know that non-OEM fluids are NOT superior and better for longevity? What if the Toyota/Lexus OEM fluid is actually subpar (worse) compared to others, like Valvoline MaxLife which may lead to longer life, better performance, better temperature, less wear & tear, longevity, etc.?? You never know until you "approach infinity" with your "math theory". But leave it to the "applied" ones to test it out. I seriously doubt that a company like Valvoline, who specializes in lubricants, oils, fluids etc, and does nothing else but fluids -- who is extensively obsessive with making them, testing them, and outselling others -- would risk making a product that would ruin millions of cars which would bring class-action lawsuits upon them that would bankrupting them entirely. As you "approach infinity", what are the chances (odds) of flipping heads one-trillion times on a coin?? It's small, very very small. But not to say that it doesn't exist! It exists, definitely, the event is possible, somewhere in the 'infinite' universe. But it’s HIGHLY IMPROBABLE!! And if using a NON-OEM ATF that is rated for your vehicle, has been extensively tested, and the company stands behind it 100%; which may possibly even actually improve tranny performance, or increase its longevity, or at least match the integrity of that of Toyta "world class" ATF; and doesn't seem to be destroying people's trannys within thousands of miles after a DIY drain-fill; then I would like to be the "applied mathematician" realist here by saying that using Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic ATF for your Toyota/Lexus requiring Type T, T-II, Type T-IV or WS, is most probably safe (at the least), and could possibly even be much better (at the best); and that the odds of it destroying your tranny anytime in the next two decades, is most HIGHLY IMPROBABLE!!! (how's that for the longest sentence in the world?) Thanks for reading!
The following users liked this post:
Broc (02-11-20)
Old 11-13-17, 05:17 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chenderson
The difference between the realistic non-OEM proponents and the obsessive OEM purists is like the difference between Applied Mathematicians and Theoretical Mathematicians, respectively. Think of the "longevity" aspect of choosing a fluid like that of "infinity" in math. Are we gonna have our cars forever? No, but we still TRY, right? But does the kool-aid that Toyota is selling us really stay sweet FOREVER?? Lexisaurus has a strong point about Toyota/Lexus "selling us" by claiming "lifetime" and "sealed tranny" and "world class ATF"; these are all just tactical selling-points from them, just to keep us drinking their kool-aid (to buy, both parts AND service, from them). It's a post-Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act tactic (i.e., where they once used to tell us that we "HAD" to buy their oil from them or else our "warranties would be voided" (i.e., "tie-in" sales), they can do no longer that, thanks to Federal Law; but so they resort to other "marketing tactics"). Think about it. Also, Toyota doesn't own petroleum refineries, do they? They don't make the oil. They get it through other channels; and probably some of the same exact channels that OTHER BRANDS DO!!! What the heck does "world class" mean, anyway? And why do they tell Americans (USA) that it's a "sealed tranny", and that it's "lifetime fluid", but recommend to Canada and Europe to change at 95k/100k?? Too many contradictions, and not enough "proof". I mean, does it really last "forever"? No. Credibility loss right there, folks. They can't claim this for real. So, cred-points lost in my book. And as a final morsel to chew on or think about: How do you know that non-OEM fluids are NOT superior and better for longevity? What if the Toyota/Lexus OEM fluid is actually subpar (worse) compared to others, like Valvoline MaxLife which may lead to longer life, better performance, better temperature, less wear & tear, longevity, etc.?? You never know until you "approach infinity" with your "math theory". But leave it to the "applied" ones to test it out. I seriously doubt that a company like Valvoline, who specializes in lubricants, oils, fluids etc, and does nothing else but fluids -- who is extensively obsessive with making them, testing them, and outselling others -- would risk making a product that would ruin millions of cars which would bring class-action lawsuits upon them that would bankrupting them entirely. As you "approach infinity", what are the chances (odds) of flipping heads one-trillion times on a coin?? It's small, very very small. But not to say that it doesn't exist! It exists, definitely, the event is possible, somewhere in the 'infinite' universe. But it’s HIGHLY IMPROBABLE!! And if using a NON-OEM ATF that is rated for your vehicle, has been extensively tested, and the company stands behind it 100%; which may possibly even actually improve tranny performance, or increase its longevity, or at least match the integrity of that of Toyta "world class" ATF; and doesn't seem to be destroying people's trannys within thousands of miles after a DIY drain-fill; then I would like to be the "applied mathematician" realist here by saying that using Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic ATF for your Toyota/Lexus requiring Type T, T-II, Type T-IV or WS, is most probably safe (at the least), and could possibly even be much better (at the best); and that the odds of it destroying your tranny anytime in the next two decades, is most HIGHLY IMPROBABLE!!! (how's that for the longest sentence in the world?) Thanks for reading!
you bring up some great points and some of them are the reason i oscillate between deciding to switch over to maxlife or not. i don't believe that switching will cause my tranny to fail, but just the risk is enough to make me think, "better safe than sorry" especially when i can get oem for nearly the same price. your opponents bring up valid arguments as well though, such as the fact that they don't believe that a "universal fluid" could be appropriate for so many different applications, especially when people have reported that simply switching from one particular application specific fluid to another application specific fluid (say t-iv to ws or vice versa, or oem to any universal) caused shifting issues. shifting issues doesn't necessarily mean transmission failure, and any perceived issues may not be related to the actual change in modifiers or formula etc., but they do have a good point that if you can't switch from one to another, then it doesn't quite make sense that a universal that is rated for another application (that is not appropriate for your transmission) would be appropriate for your vehicle. but this is coming from someone with no background in this subject.
Old 11-13-17, 08:30 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by hsmac
you bring up some great points and some of them are the reason i oscillate between deciding to switch over to maxlife or not. i don't believe that switching will cause my tranny to fail, but just the risk is enough to make me think, "better safe than sorry"
Switching typically will not cause failure, this same discussion has been beaten to death over at ToyotaNation and usually those that report MaxLife didn't work were putting it into a neglected transmission which no fluid will help, even Toyota's junk. I have it on all my cars and the fleet of Toyotas/Lexus I maintain with no issue and can only recommend it. I got a '99 Camry at 290K miles and still won't die with MaxLife in it.
Old 11-14-17, 04:33 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Switching typically will not cause failure, this same discussion has been beaten to death over at ToyotaNation and usually those that report MaxLife didn't work were putting it into a neglected transmission which no fluid will help, even Toyota's junk. I have it on all my cars and the fleet of Toyotas/Lexus I maintain with no issue and can only recommend it. I got a '99 Camry at 290K miles and still won't die with MaxLife in it.
not trying to be a ****, but prefacing your argument with "typically will not cause failure" implies that switching can, has, or does cause failure. which i was i thought you were trying to argue against. regardless, i believe we hold the same view -- you just haven't proven their specific arguments invalid.
Old 11-14-17, 07:58 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by hsmac
not trying to be a ****, but prefacing your argument with "typically will not cause failure" implies that switching can, has, or does cause failure. which i was i thought you were trying to argue against. regardless, i believe we hold the same view -- you just haven't proven their specific arguments invalid.
Not at all, you are correct. As much as I want to say it has never caused and will never cause failure for me and the 15 cars I have used it in, even on very delicate Honda transmissions, a transmission is way to complicated and case-by-case to just sit behind a computer screen and say it will 100% work. Then you will have those that believe in every word you say and come back to haunt you when they are the one case where it doesn't work, and that's what I want to avoid. I am also a backyard mechanic not chemical engineer so I speak from experience not science.
Old 11-15-17, 03:54 AM
hsmac
Pole Position

Not at all, you are correct. As much as I want to say it has never caused and will never cause failure for me and the 15 cars I have used it in, even on very delicate Honda transmissions, a transmission is way to complicated and case-by-case to just sit behind a computer screen and say it will 100% work. Then you will have those that believe in every word you say and come back to haunt you when they are the one case where it doesn't work, and that's what I want to avoid. I am also a backyard mechanic not chemical engineer so I speak from experience not science.
it's funny because it seems like the ones who DO really know what they're talking about are the ones against using the universals. yet i don't believe there has been a single case of failure relating to switching to maxlife. shifting issues, maybe, and those could also be indicators of failing, but i would have expected to at least heard about one case of a failed transmission to validate a point.

Quick Reply: Beware - Valvoline Maxlife ATF ???