RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lots of questions - RX 300 or 350 - new forum member!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-17, 06:13 AM
Buzzer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of questions - RX 300 or 350 - new forum member!

Hi guys, I am new to the forum, and new to Lexus!

I am looking to buy a Lexus RX300 or 350 here in the UK. In many ways I would prefer a later RX300 as there seems a lot more of them here in the UK, and they also hit the lower VED bracket if I get one registered before April 2006.

I have a few questions for you guys…

1. Is there a “buyers Guide” anywhere for each model?

2. Is there a year in the RX300 production that have better and more reliable auto boxes?

3. Is the auto box on the 350 more reliable than the 300?

4. I can see that some cars had air suspension, and I want to avoid this, which models do I avoid, and how can I tell if it has it from looking at a picture of the dash?

5. Which is the more economical, and is there much in it?

Thanks in advance! Great forum!

Tony
Old 04-29-17, 07:18 AM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Buzzer
Hi guys, I am new to the forum, and new to Lexus!

I am looking to buy a Lexus RX300 or 350 here in the UK. In many ways I would prefer a later RX300 as there seems a lot more of them here in the UK, and they also hit the lower VED bracket if I get one registered before April 2006.

I have a few questions for you guys…

2. Is there a year in the RX300 production that have better and more reliable auto boxes?

4. I can see that some cars had air suspension, and I want to avoid this, which models do I avoid, and how can I tell if it has it from looking at a picture of the dash?

Thanks in advance! Great forum!

Tony
Welcome to ClubLexus and the 2nd gen RX forum.
1. There is a buyers guide on this site. Go to "How-Tos" in the upper tab and click RX. There is an article there on what to look for when buying one. They are all built well, any year, so it boils down to maintenance and therefore maintenance records. Be sure to check those for any model you intend to buy. Also plenty of reviews online, search Google.
2. Mines a 350 so I'll let 330 (that's what Lexus calls the model here in the states with the 3.3l motor) chime in.
3. Essentially the same, but it is updated and better in the 350. Only prevailing problem with either is lag, which is just a way these transmissions are-even the new ones lag some. Its a condition mainly due to their attempt at maxing mpg's.
4. Here in the states, models with air suspension also have a shift-able transmission. So you would look at the shifter in the car and see if it has at the bottom left another gear area to select that allows for up and down shift changes manually with the shifter. Otherwise you just have the normal P,R,N, D, 4,3,2. Its kind of a catch 22 really as these models have the more desirable shiftable transmission, but the less desirable (costly repairs) air suspension.
5. 330s and 350s have comparable mpg performance. But with the 350 you get a timing chain that requires one less major maintenance (replacement) and has around another 50hp and more performance. Conversely, 330s and 350s are appointed identically really, so you can get a 330 for less cost. If a 330 has a good maintenance record and is marked less its a good way to go as the look, feel, fit and finish are very similar between the 2. You won't be able to tell a difference, until...you hit the accelerator, lol.
Old 04-29-17, 08:07 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Buzzer

Personally I have not seen one myself, not sure what the UK uses but a carfax here in the states gives a basic idea of reported maintenance and accident history. Searches on this subforum could give you info into specific issues associated with this generation model.

Typically the later years of the same model and generation are better as they have had time to work out the kinks that came with the initial release. So say a 2007 RX330 is better than a 2004 RX330 and a 2009 RX350 is better than a 2006 RX350.

Here in the states we have the 330 and 350 so no experience with the 300. But from my research the gearbox is the same for both, not too sure though. I work on a 2014 Highlander which uses the same engine as the 350 just a different trans and its much more responsive and smoother shifting then my 330 so go with the lastest trans in the model you find.

Easier is to look at the struts themselves, if you see a rubber bag where typical springs are, you have the air suspension. Not sure if you will see dash lights unless it's malfunctioning but there should be a adjustor switch somewhere on the dash. I don't have it so I can't say much, but I worked on a BMW X5 with one and that was a money pit.

From personal experience, I'd say the premium package with no air suspension is the best bang for your buck in this generation RX. My premium 330 has the 18" wheels, nav, AFS HID, and headlight washers which are very nice features to have.
Good luck!
Old 04-30-17, 05:01 AM
Buzzer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, that is really helpful! Over the next few weeks I will be looking an driving a few cars to see how they drive. At the moment a 2005 - early 2006 car would be best as the VED here in the UK is cheaper. its not a deal breaker though...

I definitely don't want one with Air suspension though, so I will make sure I look at the struts...

Last edited by Buzzer; 04-30-17 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-30-17, 06:06 PM
NVAKeith
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's pics of the air suspension controls.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9054349