RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Any ECU updates/calibrations for 2008 RX350 AWD JAP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-17, 06:12 PM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ECU updates/calibrations for 2008 RX350 AWD JAP?

I believe there was a release for 2007 models to improve "shift feel." I imagine 2008 came from factory with this calibration? Any other updates?

Anyone?

thanks
Old 04-27-17, 06:16 AM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by lexisaurus
I believe there was a release for 2007 models to improve "shift feel." I imagine 2008 came from factory with this calibration? Any other updates?

Anyone?

thanks
Reflash was for 330s, so 07 was improved at the factory. All models, even the 2017 have lag though-I had a loaner that did, plus lots of complaining about it on the 4th gen forum. It's fuel economy driven and the so called learned trans that supposedly learns your driving habits. You can reset with a battery disconnect, but best thing to do is a couple WOT's per day. Also keeps carbon down. Find some long on ramps each day and floor it. Works pretty good for me and my RX.
Old 04-27-17, 07:35 AM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Originally Posted by BlackLexRX
Reflash was for 330s, so 07 was improved at the factory. All models, even the 2017 have lag though-I had a loaner that did, plus lots of complaining about it on the 4th gen forum. It's fuel economy driven and the so called learned trans that supposedly learns your driving habits. You can reset with a battery disconnect, but best thing to do is a couple WOT's per day. Also keeps carbon down. Find some long on ramps each day and floor it. Works pretty good for me and my RX.
Sorry what are WOT's?
Old 04-27-17, 07:41 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry what are WOT's?
Wide Open Throttle - otherwise known as an Italian tune-up.
Old 05-23-17, 10:42 AM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Originally Posted by mdbrown
Wide Open Throttle - otherwise known as an Italian tune-up.
So like jam a screwdriver in the inake valve to hold it fully open?
Old 05-23-17, 11:56 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

So like jam a screwdriver in the inake valve to hold it fully open?
No, take it out on the highway and floor it. Helps break up carbon deposits.
Old 05-23-17, 04:32 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Anyone?

thanks
It is an 'electronically controlled (smart/learning) transmission'. It's brain is thinking.... Lexus programmed me to maximize mpg's. So it actually creates quicker up shifting and slower response in order to maximize mpg's. However, because it is a smart/learning transmission, if you floor it a couple times a day, like onto on ramps, etc it tries to learn your driving style. It's brain starts thinking....ok this owner wants me to create quicker power delivery. Over time it will adjust to your driving style and give you the best of both worlds. mpg's and quick power.
Old 05-30-17, 05:41 PM
jnew911
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never knew our RX had a smart transmission. This probably explains a lot. I have always thought the transmission was laggy and slow to shift but I think this may explain it to me. My wife drives this car all of the time and I only drive every once in a while. She has a lead foot! So when I get in it with my soft foot it isn't very responsive.
To give you a little history, we had a brand new VW Passat in 1996 with a smart transmission. Again, it was her car and she was the daily driver. When I would drive it would feel like it the transmission would react slowly to my desired acceleration. But if I ever got to drive the car for a day or two, it felt like it was reading my mind. The transmission would downshift if I even thought about trying to pass another car!
Old 01-11-18, 12:08 AM
FloorJack
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BlackLexRX
It is an 'electronically controlled (smart/learning) transmission'. It's brain is thinking.... Lexus programmed me to maximize mpg's. So it actually creates quicker up shifting and slower response in order to maximize mpg's. However, because it is a smart/learning transmission, if you floor it a couple times a day, like onto on ramps, etc it tries to learn your driving style. It's brain starts thinking....ok this owner wants me to create quicker power delivery. Over time it will adjust to your driving style and give you the best of both worlds. mpg's and quick power.
Interesting. I'll definitely give it a shot.

I wonder if this will affect the low speed gear hunting that happens on occasion.