RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How to DIY program a spare key

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-17, 07:45 AM
numbafree
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You are in the same boat as I was. 1 key. Get a real Oem lexus key (fleabay keys don't always program well, ask me how I know).

Get yourself one of these to program the immobilizer chip: ($15)

Amazon Amazon

and here on the forum is the process to program the lock buttons on the key.

Worked for me.
Old 04-27-17, 05:03 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Njdarrow
Thank you all for the advice. Can you provide a link or details for where you purchased the keys? And, with techstream, did you need to know the key pin code, or any other information that I might not already have given I only have one key?
Shoot me a PM, not sure if ebay links are allowed. Also I assume no guarantee with my recommendation, all three worked for me, but many others have had issue with eBay keys. I bought many before with no issues just had to make sure the chips match. If it gives you peace of mind, buy an OEM key from eBay or similar, it'll still be cheaper than going to your dealer.

Nope, you just need a registered master key and to follow the on screen instructions, very straight forward. BUT the key needs to be cut by this time, as you need to insert it into the tumbler. I have programed many toyota and lexus keys, including smart keys and Lexus' wallet key.

Originally Posted by numbafree
You are in the same boat as I was. 1 key. Get a real Oem lexus key (fleabay keys don't always program well, ask me how I know).

Get yourself one of these to program the immobilizer chip: ($15)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0136JBM62/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and here on the forum is the process to program the lock buttons on the key.

Worked for me.
This. To program the "keyless entry" within techstream, I recall it's NOT in the immobilizer section of Techstream but somewhere in the BECU settings, unfortunately I don't have my techstream on me currently to check.