RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2008 RX350 aftermarket remote starter location - alternate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-17, 12:54 PM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 RX350 aftermarket remote starter location - alternate?

Hello again folks.

I normally find remote starters underneath the drives side dash. This vehicle is supposed to have an autostart unit installed and it must be because the antenna LED flashes on shutoff.... I cannot however find any sign of cabling, box or hood pin. Before I start pulling things apart more is anyone aware of other locations where it may have been fitted? Perhaps there is space on the passenger side? Pulled out glove compartment... no room there....

Thanks!
Old 04-10-17, 01:44 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Only places I can think are under the driver side dash, behind the glovebox (look from the bottom up not with the glove box out as it's shielded from the blower motor), and behind the radio. This may be really tight but possibly the drivers kick panel. I can't see it anywhere else in the car as you would need to route a ton of wires to the drivers side.....
Old 04-11-17, 05:53 PM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
Only places I can think are under the driver side dash, behind the glovebox (look from the bottom up not with the glove box out as it's shielded from the blower motor), and behind the radio. This may be really tight but possibly the drivers kick panel. I can't see it anywhere else in the car as you would need to route a ton of wires to the drivers side.....
Thanks. I see a module to the right of the ECU (closer to passenger side door.) It seems I'd have to remove the dash to get to or perhaps the harness/frame that holds the ECU. Very inaccessible. It's a little smaller than the ECU itself. Could this be anything else?

Thanks!
Old 04-11-17, 05:58 PM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexisaurus
Thanks. I see a module to the right of the ECU (closer to passenger side door.) It seems I'd have to remove the dash to get to or perhaps the harness/frame that holds the ECU. Very inaccessible. It's a little smaller than the ECU itself. Could this be anything else?

Thanks!
$*(*&!#! guess it's the A/C amplifier.
Old 04-11-17, 06:09 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

[QUOTE=lexisaurus;9832561]Thanks. I see a module to the right of the ECU (closer to passenger side door.) It seems I'd have to remove the dash to get to or perhaps the harness/frame that holds the ECU. Very inaccessible. It's a little smaller than the ECU itself. Could this be anything else?

Thanks![/QUOTE/]

I usually install them myself. Many times I did. Newer ones are getting smaller and much less wiring is involved becauase they use firmware. Always under the driver side dash near the steering column. One way of finding is following the cable from antenna back the module. Have another look, push driver's seat all the way back for more room. stick your head under looking up with good bright flash light. Also one wire has to go to the brake pedal switch, you can trace that wire too. Omega module has flashing LED on the antenna module too I think.
Old 04-11-17, 06:33 PM
lexisaurus
Rookie

[QUOTE=Htony;9832578]

Thanks![/QUOTE/]

I usually install them myself. Many times I did. Newer ones are getting smaller and much less wiring is involved becauase they use firmware. Always under the driver side dash near the steering column. One way of finding is following the cable from antenna back the module. Have another look, push driver's seat all the way back for more room. stick your head under looking up with good bright flash light. Also one wire has to go to the brake pedal switch, you can trace that wire too. Omega module has flashing LED on the antenna module too I think.
Cool thanks. Model is PS-4661TWE-FM (Directed Electronics) Yeah I had initially looked around there but will make a second pass. Man it's tight in there.... I ended up with my feet over the seats, twisted, got my elbow stuck and had to calm down and breath to avoid panic! Thanks for the tracing tips!
Old 04-11-17, 07:00 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=lexisaurus;9832604]
Originally Posted by Htony

Cool thanks. Model is PS-4661TWE-FM (Directed Electronics) Yeah I had initially looked around there but will make a second pass. Man it's tight in there.... I ended up with my feet over the seats, twisted, got my elbow stuck and had to calm down and breath to avoid panic! Thanks for the tracing tips!
Under there, there is a heavy bright Yellow cable. This for air bag. If you mess with it by accident or uninteded encounter air bag can pop. Usually I disconnect battery when I work aroud there. Just precaution to protect ECU.
Old 04-11-17, 07:16 PM
lexisaurus
Rookie

[QUOTE=Htony;9832626]

Under there, there is a heavy bright Yellow cable. This for air bag. If you mess with it by accident or uninteded encounter air bag can pop. Usually I disconnect battery when I work aroud there. Just precaution to protect ECU.
thank you again!

while i was looking on the passenger side i found an amber led next to the tpms selector... is that alarm?
Old 04-11-17, 08:18 PM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Found it with the tips above thanks! Up quite high and also a found a smaller module which is the bypass I guess (idatalink.) Now let's see if I can get this back to life
Old 04-12-17, 06:17 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Found it with the tips above thanks! Up quite high and also a found a smaller module which is the bypass I guess (idatalink.) Now let's see if I can get this back to life
If you need any help let me know, I do installs myself, would be glad to help. Idatalink is a bypass manufacture but sometimes does integrate itself as the RS controller.
Old 04-12-17, 08:00 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Yes some has bypass module but latest brain has all included. Firmware takes care of everything. Last one I did on my RX450h, one small module, the size of a cigarette pack, dozen or so wires, download firmware configure options, then flash it. That's it. Hardest part for me was taking the panels off, good thing I got a tool kit for that. Using the tool I did not scratch or broke anything doing R&R of panels. My favorite is iDATA link or Fortin all in one module. Things getting simpler and easier with new ones.

Last edited by Htony; 04-12-17 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-12-17, 10:52 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

This brings memories. Years ago I had a Camry and I wanted to install an alarm. I bought a unit on fleabay and it included a remote start feature.

With the help of a very kind gentleman through the phone, I was able to install the whole set (had to pre-solder connectors, etc). It must have been one of those times that I patted myself in the back. An old Camry with a full on alarm system and remote start.

I remember the wife using the remote one day and it started the car, the ****es! Scared the heck out of her and she went berserk. It involves pushing 2 buttons simultaneously (which she dined doing?)!

The son inherited this fine looking Camry (I put on Lexus GS rims) and kept it while in HS, until he got T-bone by an old lady (he was fine) and it was totaled.

FYI, I bought 2 of those alarms and still have the one remaining in my garage. LOL.
Old 04-12-17, 10:54 AM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Originally Posted by Htony
Yes some has bypass module but latest brain has all included. Firmware takes care of everything. Lat one I did on my RX450h, one small module, the size of a cigarette pack, dozen or so wires, download firmware configure options, then flash it. That's it. Hardest part for me was taking the panels off, good thing I got a tool kit for that. Using the tool I did not scratch or broke anything doing R&R of panels. My favorite is iDATA link or Fortin all in one module. Things getting simpler and easier with new ones.
Yup I actually have an unopened HC2. The seller didn't tell me this had the autostart/directed electronics module installed.
Old 04-12-17, 10:58 AM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
If you need any help let me know, I do installs myself, would be glad to help. Idatalink is a bypass manufacture but sometimes does integrate itself as the RS controller.
Awesome thanks.

The issue is that there are no signs of life other than the blinking blue antenna light. None of the remote buttons do anything on either remote. The LED on idatalink is not lit.

OK so I've cut all the tie wraps and now both units are accessible. The button on the starter is accessible as is the one on the idatalink.

What do you suggest I first try?

thx!
Old 04-12-17, 02:11 PM
lexisaurus
Rookie

Awesome thanks.

The issue is that there are no signs of life other than the blinking blue antenna light. None of the remote buttons do anything on either remote. The LED on idatalink is not lit.

OK so I've cut all the tie wraps and now both units are accessible. The button on the starter is accessible as is the one on the idatalink.

What do you suggest I first try?

thx!

I don't believe/see a hoodpin but I used the button on the unit... expected behavior is parking light on/flash when pressing button for 4 seconds.... did this both with ignition on and off and the button does nothing. Next I will check the fuse I guess...

Quick Reply: 2008 RX350 aftermarket remote starter location - alternate?