RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

A warning to those recently purchasing a 2nd gen RX

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-17, 05:44 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackLexRX
All good, just wanted to clarify as this oil cooler line has been such a problem for so many. And I do agree, that far side nut is a pain to get back on. If any of you have done this job, or are about to, remember to apply for reimbursement from Lexus.

Unfortunately, I am not eligible for reimbursement. Not that it matters as it has to be done regardless. Appreciate the info everyone.
Old 04-13-17, 07:04 PM
350rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine done just before the first deadline, so I'm not sure how they'll reimburse you, but call and ask. I think they at least pro-rate it or something. Call and ask nicely, when I did, it was pretty clear they'd rather see the part replaced than fail.
I have read the first deadline expired in Jan 2016, did you get yours done before that? The second part of the warranty is based on 10 years after the first date of use. Was wondering if i should even submit on the website they have created as I have a 2007. As i called lexus corp and they told me i am not eligible.
Old 04-13-17, 07:44 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 350rx
I have read the first deadline expired in Jan 2016, did you get yours done before that? The second part of the warranty is based on 10 years after the first date of use. Was wondering if i should even submit on the website they have created as I have a 2007. As i called lexus corp and they told me i am not eligible.
I bought my 07rx350 in late October 2016 and replaced my oil cooler line in December 2016 after reading the horror stories about it around the web. IIRC first deadline was January 2017 and had been extended at least once to that time. I remember it well as it was a day or two before Xmas 2016.
Once I had the metal part in hand (December 2016), I called corporate to ask if, since I had the correct part, would they spring for having it installed at my local dealer. They said, only if it is leaking will we do it under the warranty extension, but if you do it now before the deadline, here's a link (an official Lexus.com/whatever (sorry cannot recall link address) that you can file for reimbursement on. On or about December 23, 2016 I completed the job and went to the link. IIRC it was warranty extension ZLC oil cooler pipe reimbursement that came up, then I followed the prompts, asking for VIN, then to attach files of a picture of my receipt and a picture of old line removed, which I did. It took forever to get the check, maybe 7weeks or so, but it did come and I've posted a picture of the actual check they sent me previously in this thread. I bought my oil cooler line, updated part number with gaskets included (previously they were another 2 part numbers you had to order) from Elmore Toyota TRD parts, who had the best price online when I searched, for 55$. With one oil filter total was 69$ and change shipped. (local Toyota and Lexus in Denver area wanted 100$ for part).
Lexus Corp sent me a check for 69$ and change, so they even paid for the filter I ordered.
Sorry to hear they are saying they won't reimburse you, but most manufacturers will stick very strictly to deadlines, so I also understand to a degree where they are coming from.
I encourage anyone who hasn't done the job to do it just to be safe. I highly recommend Elmore Toyota TRD parts out of Westminster, CA for the part. Updated part number which includes both metal gaskets and metal cooler lines is: 04004-29131
Old 04-13-17, 07:54 PM
350rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 07rx350 in late October 2016 and replaced my oil cooler line in December 2016 after reading the horror stories about it around the web. IIRC first deadline was January 2017 and had been extended at least once to that time. I remember it well as it was a day or two before Xmas 2016.
Once I had the metal part in hand (December 2016), I called corporate to ask if, since I had the correct part, would they spring for having it installed at my local dealer. They said, only if it is leaking will we do it under the warranty extension, but if you do it now before the deadline, here's a link (an official Lexus.com/whatever (sorry cannot recall link address) that you can file for reimbursement on. On or about December 23, 2016 I completed the job and went to the link. IIRC it was warranty extension ZLC oil cooler pipe reimbursement that came up, then I followed the prompts, asking for VIN, then to attach files of a picture of my receipt and a picture of old line removed, which I did. It took forever to get the check, maybe 7weeks or so, but it did come and I've posted a picture of the actual check they sent me previously in this thread. I bought my oil cooler line, updated part number with gaskets included (previously they were another 2 part numbers you had to order) from Elmore Toyota TRD parts, who had the best price online when I searched, for 55$. With one oil filter total was 69$ and change shipped. (local Toyota and Lexus in Denver area wanted 100$ for part).
Lexus Corp sent me a check for 69$ and change, so they even paid for the filter I ordered.
Sorry to hear they are saying they won't reimburse you, but most manufacturers will stick very strictly to deadlines, so I also understand to a degree where they are coming from.
I encourage anyone who hasn't done the job to do it just to be safe. I highly recommend Elmore Toyota TRD parts out of Westminster, CA for the part. Updated part number which includes both metal gaskets and metal cooler lines is: 04004-29131
When called Lexus today, they told me the first extension ended Jan 2016, they told me they mailed letters to owners in 2014, which i did not receive. It looks like maybe your cars first date of use was within the 10 year time frame. My cars first date of use was Mar 2006 (2007 model), so it expired Mar 2016.

I will keep the toyota site handy as their prices seem competitive.
Old 04-13-17, 08:16 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Yeah, 10yrs then. Must've been the case. Sometimes these things come down to luck too, just who is on the other side of the phone kind of thing. Not sure if it can help anyone, but I went into my records and have attached the check stub from reimbursement check. It does go into the ZLC and what the check is for.
Attached Thumbnails A warning to those recently purchasing a 2nd gen RX-imag0428-1-.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
350rx (04-14-17)
Old 04-17-17, 08:03 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

I went to change mine this weekend. Got a few of the torx studs loos but the inside one next the oil filter housing is frozen. One of the few banes of living next to the ocean is corrosion. My concern now (especially after one of the screws for the engine cover sheared off rather easily when I was putting it back together) is that if that thing snaps the car is stuck and trying to use an easy out in such a confined space would be exceedingly difficult to say the least.

Surveying the situation my days of "alternate engineering" came to fore and so I am wondering, has anyone here attempted just to buy some high quality, high pressure oil line and just replace the rubber lines? Mine are hard as a rock so their days are numbered...

Last edited by mdbrown; 04-24-17 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-17-17, 08:18 AM
sladerx
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mdbrown
I went to change mine this weekend. Got a few of the torx studs loos but the inside one next the oil filter housing is frozen. One of the few banes of living next to the ocean is corrosion. My concern now (especially after one of the screws for the engine cover sheared off rather easily when I was putting it back together) is that if that thing snaps the car is stuck and trying to use an easy out in such a confined space would be exceedingly difficult to say the least.
You only need to remove one matched "pair" of studs. Most folks remove the oil cooler side, but I removed the engine block side myself (removing the entire oil cooler would be easier than trying to remove broken studs from the engine block). Can you only get one to break free from each side?

I'd recommend AeroKroil as a penetrant, and a small 1/4" impact driver does wonders on things like those studs
Old 04-17-17, 08:26 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sladerx
You only need to remove one matched "pair" of studs. Most folks remove the oil cooler side, but I removed the engine block side myself (removing the entire oil cooler would be easier than trying to remove broken studs from the engine block). Can you only get one to break free from each side?

I'd recommend AeroKroil as a penetrant, and a small 1/4" impact driver does wonders on things like those studs

The bolts are rust welded to the studs, the others came out as a single unit. The one tucked in next to the oil filter housing wouldn't budge and I ran out of nerve rather quickly. I could always take it to a dealer or shop but it would still be costly and time consuming if that thing breaks. It just seems simpler and still relatively effective at this point to just cut the rubber hose off and replace that.
Old 04-17-17, 09:40 AM
99magna
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, 10yrs then. Must've been the case. Sometimes these things come down to luck too, just who is on the other side of the phone kind of thing. Not sure if it can help anyone, but I went into my records and have attached the check stub from reimbursement check. It does go into the ZLC and what the check is for.
So, I just call Lexus customer service after I replace the oil lines myself and they will give me the link for reimbursement ?. What is ZLC stand for ?. Thanks
Old 04-17-17, 07:50 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 99magna
So, I just call Lexus customer service after I replace the oil lines myself and they will give me the link for reimbursement ?. What is ZLC stand for ?. Thanks
Yes call Lexus Corp, have your VIN handy so they can determine if you are within the warranty enhancement period, or subsequent ten year grace period. Mine was in December 2016, its an 07, 1493rd built (last 4 of my VIN).
ZLC is what Lexus calls the warranty enhancement, no idea why they call it that.
The following users liked this post:
99magna (04-20-17)
Old 04-17-17, 08:12 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

The bolts are rust welded to the studs, the others came out as a single unit. The one tucked in next to the oil filter housing wouldn't budge and I ran out of nerve rather quickly. I could always take it to a dealer or shop but it would still be costly and time consuming if that thing breaks. It just seems simpler and still relatively effective at this point to just cut the rubber hose off and replace that.
Soak them with something overnight, try what sladerx mentioned if you can find it. I've had good luck with PB Blaster on rusted on o2 sensors on my Honda. I found the oil filter side a little easier to access, but maybe that's just how I was laying there. Those studs are small though so continue to work carefully. Soak them good and let it sit awhile. Give them light tap on ends with a hammer maybe, just be gentle. If you absolutely cannot remove them, Lexus did have an improved part with rubber lines before they came out with the all metal ones. Improved rubber part nmbr is listed in the tsib I gave somewhere earlier in this thread. You could buy it and scavenge the rubber off, then return your metal one. Use extreme caution and check thoroughly with experts before using any improvised rubber lines. Obviously needs to be chemical and heat resistant. Oil in lines there is 60psi and around 200 degrees.
Old 04-18-17, 08:12 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Soak them with something overnight, try what sladerx mentioned if you can find it. I've had good luck with PB Blaster on rusted on o2 sensors on my Honda. I found the oil filter side a little easier to access, but maybe that's just how I was laying there. Those studs are small though so continue to work carefully. Soak them good and let it sit awhile. Give them light tap on ends with a hammer maybe, just be gentle. If you absolutely cannot remove them, Lexus did have an improved part with rubber lines before they came out with the all metal ones. Improved rubber part nmbr is listed in the tsib I gave somewhere earlier in this thread. You could buy it and scavenge the rubber off, then return your metal one. Use extreme caution and check thoroughly with experts before using any improvised rubber lines. Obviously needs to be chemical and heat resistant. Oil in lines there is 60psi and around 200 degrees.
Yeah, soaked them in some cutting oil... no difference. Those things are stuck. At this point I am going to replace the hose. Don't suppose anyone knows the outside diameter of the pipe, or conversely the inside diameter of the hose? Most oil line I see is .343 inch inside diameter.
Old 04-18-17, 08:22 AM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Yeah, soaked them in some cutting oil... no difference. Those things are stuck. At this point I am going to replace the hose. Don't suppose anyone knows the outside diameter of the pipe, or conversely the inside diameter of the hose? Most oil line I see is .343 inch inside diameter.
I'm out of town til Friday, then I'll measure my old ones. You could undo yours with pliers, slip it off and take it in to Napa or somewhere with hose to compare it. Probably be the best way to get good fit. Without looking at it now, iirc it's about 3/8" inner. I'd send you mine as a contingency when I get back home if you pm me, it's intact, but 10yrs old and 68k miles on it, so not exactly ideal to put on yours. But you're welcome to it.
Old 04-20-17, 02:01 PM
99magna
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes call Lexus Corp, have your VIN handy so they can determine if you are within the warranty enhancement period, or subsequent ten year grace period. Mine was in December 2016, its an 07, 1493rd built (last 4 of my VIN).
ZLC is what Lexus calls the warranty enhancement, no idea why they call it that.
Thanks Blacklexrx, I ordered the oil cooler hoses and an oil filter from Elmore Toyota TRD parts plus shipping for a total of $70.64. I searched for the best prices, but you are right about they are the cheapest.
I called Elmore Toyota TRD parts to make sure both gaskets are included with the oil cooler hose and the part guy confirmed it. I still have not receive them yet but they should be here any day now. By the way my 2009 RX350 first used was 09/2008, so my enhance warranty still good , correct ?. Thanks again and good day to you.
Old 04-20-17, 04:55 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 99magna
Thanks Blacklexrx, I ordered the oil cooler hoses and an oil filter from Elmore Toyota TRD parts plus shipping for a total of $70.64. I searched for the best prices, but you are right about they are the cheapest.
I called Elmore Toyota TRD parts to make sure both gaskets are included with the oil cooler hose and the part guy confirmed it. I still have not receive them yet but they should be here any day now. By the way my 2009 RX350 first used was 09/2008, so my enhance warranty still good , correct ?. Thanks again and good day to you.
Cool, yeah best price, and they shipped mine fast. You should be good on ten year warranty extension. Watch a few vids and replace it. Take a photo of and keep the old one, then call Lexus. Have your VIN handy and a good foto of your receipt from Elmore. Takes about 50 days but they do send a check. Basically a free maintenance, plus your labor. Tools needed are back in this thread.

Quick Reply: A warning to those recently purchasing a 2nd gen RX