RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Power rear door attack!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 06:15 AM
nestorph
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power rear door attack!

I recently bought a used 2009 RX350 and have been absolutely delighted with the purchase. It had been well maintained and so far, so good. One problem I do have is that occasionally after opening the rear door using the remote (it gives off the warning beep and rises) the door will suddenly decide it wants to close after giving off a warning beep again. Twice I had turned away to do something and got hit in the head or shoulder when it started coming down. I've read on other threads that might be related to weakened struts. I have no problem replacing those as I have done in other cars but would like a second opinion before doing so. The car is seven years old and that doesn't seem like a very long time for the struts to begin failing. Note that the problem is quite rare.
Old 03-17-17, 07:18 AM
mylexbaby
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by nestorph
The car is seven years old and that doesn't seem like a very long time for the struts to begin failing.
In case it helps, our '05 RX just got it's second set of replacement struts because the first replacement set were weak in winter.
Old 03-17-17, 08:22 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by mylexbaby
In case it helps, our '05 RX just got it's second set of replacement struts because the first replacement set were weak in winter.
The Power Tailgate doesn't seem to agree with colder temperatures, I will eventually replace the supports although most likely will still resort to manual operation for winters in Canada.
Old 03-17-17, 08:30 AM
mylexbaby
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RX330AWD
The Power Tailgate doesn't seem to agree with colder temperatures, I will eventually replace the supports although most likely will still resort to manual operation for winters in Canada.
Our experience is that when they are weak in winter, they are on their way out. The symptom tends to be the gate not going as high as it should; power or manual doesn't matter (although we can of course manually push it all the way up).
Old 03-18-17, 04:28 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Mine was doing the same thing. New struts fixed the issue. Just be sure to order the ones for the power lift, as there seems to be ones for non-power. I think they're the same for the Highlander, which would explain why there are two choices.
Old 03-19-17, 03:22 PM
nestorph
9th Gear

Default New struts on order...

Got whacked in the head again yesterday. Promptly went to computer and ordered a new pair of struts...

Originally Posted by RedGemini
Mine was doing the same thing. New struts fixed the issue. Just be sure to order the ones for the power lift, as there seems to be ones for non-power. I think they're the same for the Highlander, which would explain why there are two choices.
Old 03-19-17, 06:44 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

What brand did you order? StrongArm is the best I've found.
Old 03-19-17, 08:14 PM
nestorph
9th Gear

Default Maxpow

Originally Posted by DennisMik
What brand did you order? StrongArm is the best I've found.
I originally was going to go with StrongArm especially after spotting the prominently displayed "Made in USA" image on the site. However, after reading the comments I learned from several buyers that their struts were actually made in China. Since the Maxpows are probably made there as well, I figured I might as well save $20. I'll report back after I've installed them.
Old 03-20-17, 08:51 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

That's interesting. Strong Arm is an Australian company. Can't say that I remember anything about them being made in the USA, but I can believe that they are being made in China now. So much stuff is made in China now. There are thousands of little factories over there and we will never know if the StrongArm and Maxpow are made in the same factory. I just hope that the quality doesn't go down the drain.
Old 03-20-17, 09:17 AM
nestorph
9th Gear

Default Even more confusing now!

Originally Posted by DennisMik
That's interesting. Strong Arm is an Australian company. Can't say that I remember anything about them being made in the USA, but I can believe that they are being made in China now. So much stuff is made in China now. There are thousands of little factories over there and we will never know if the StrongArm and Maxpow are made in the same factory. I just hope that the quality doesn't go down the drain.
That's funny. Here is the link from the Amazon page where I first found the Strong Arm strut.
Amazon Amazon

I've also attached a screenshot for good measure.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Power rear door attack!-screen-shot-2017-03-20-at-12.14.34-pm.png  
Old 03-24-17, 04:46 PM
Stacy
Driver School Candidate

When my tailgate door began its decapitation mode (05 RX 330) - my husband found some random stick/board That he wedged in to prevent bodily harm. The back door wouldn't close automatically. ��

Last week he finally bought 2 new struts (the best O'Reilly's carried), installed them and voila! The door opened automatically and stayed open and UP. However, it still will not shut automatically, but I can live with that.
Old 03-25-17, 03:21 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Stacy
When my tailgate door began its decapitation mode (05 RX 330) - my husband found some random stick/board That he wedged in to prevent bodily harm. The back door wouldn't close automatically. ��

Last week he finally bought 2 new struts (the best O'Reilly's carried), installed them and voila! The door opened automatically and stayed open and UP. However, it still will not shut automatically, but I can live with that.
I wonder if O'Reilly's sold him the wrong ones. What you're describing sounds like he got the ones for non-power hatch. There are two different ones available, and the wrong ones will exhibit different issues like you describe.
Old 03-26-17, 03:35 PM
nestorph
9th Gear

Default So far, so good

Installed the new Maxpow struts yesterday--took about 10 minutes. Immediately noticed the difference when lifting the door manually. It just sprang right up whereas before it took an effort. So clearly it's been a strut issue all along.
Old 03-27-17, 04:54 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the strut replacement. I took mine to Advance Auto and matched it perfectly. I got "bit" by the door the same way. While I had the strut off, I cleaned up a tiny spot of rust under the mounting bracket (they use LOTS of salt here in western PA) and then reinstalled. It is still working fine after who knows, maybe 5 years, for our 2004.
Old 09-04-17, 05:39 PM
infahredmu
Driver School Candidate

is it possible to install power on a non powered rear door