RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Kensun HID conversion kit for high beams

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-17, 10:42 PM
Pepp
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Kensun HID conversion kit for high beams

I have the factory installed HID low beams on a 2009 Rx 350. Want to change the high beams out for the Kensun 55w HID with slim ballast. I will probably disconnect the DRL's with the relay already mentioned in previous forums but want to know if anyone used these for their high beams. And if so, did you have any issues with flickering or computer codes. Was an optional anti flicker relay required?
Old 02-04-17, 08:55 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

I have not used it on my RX, but I have used it on my Camry then ripped it out for LED. Same principle, high beam functions as DRL. You will need an anti-flicker/CANBUS eliminator capacitor if you cannot disable the DRL. But if you have techstream, you can disable DRL completely without messing with the electronics and just install it without any modules. I do not recommend HID highs though, because they cannot be pulsed (when you flash drivers, warn of cops, etc) which is what I primarily use my highs for being from the city. LED's are much better for highs, and with a quality bulb can out perform HID.
Old 02-04-17, 10:57 AM
Pepp
Driver

I contacted my Lexus dealer and they told me I can't disconnect the DRL's on this model. In a previous forum it showed how to just swap it with a 4 prong relay from Toyota instead of the 5 prong in there now. Literally a 3 minute job and you can switch it back anytime. Without the DRL's do you think I would still need the anti flicker? I drive about 1 hour every night home from work on unlit back country roads. It's my understanding that for that type of driving the hids are preferable. Any input is appreciated.
Old 02-04-17, 11:05 AM
Pepp
Driver

Here is the link for disconnecting the DRL's; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-pictures.html
Old 02-05-17, 07:10 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

A dealer can't tell you how to disable a safety feature, even if the person knows how... it's illegal... to an extent, depending on where you live. Here in the States, there is no law requiring DRLs. The odd part is, the dealer should know that DRLs can be disabled using TechStream, and I'm surprised they didn't try to get you in for them to disable them in 5 minutes for $100+. The dealer is the last place to ask something like that.

As for using HIDs in high beams, they're fine if you never have to flash your lights, or if you never have to switch back and forth between low and high. I'm in Pennsyltuckey as well, and even though I drive on a lot of dark back roads, it seems I always have an oncoming vehicle coming at some point. Every time you turn the high beams off and on, it's firing the ballast to ignite the bulb again. It's hard on the ballasts.

As recommended above, I'd look into LEDs. The prices are getting to within HID prices, and there are no worries about burning out ballasts if you have to flash. Plus, LEDs are instantly bright, unlike HIDs that require a second or two to get up to brightness.
Old 02-05-17, 08:01 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pepp
I contacted my Lexus dealer and they told me I can't disconnect the DRL's on this model. In a previous forum it showed how to just swap it with a 4 prong relay from Toyota instead of the 5 prong in there now. Literally a 3 minute job and you can switch it back anytime. Without the DRL's do you think I would still need the anti flicker? I drive about 1 hour every night home from work on unlit back country roads. It's my understanding that for that type of driving the hids are preferable. Any input is appreciated.
I believe you are right that you cannot disconnect it (don't quote me though) but Techstream will for sure be able disable it, I just did this recently on my RX because I'm not a fan myself.

Originally Posted by RedGemini
A dealer can't tell you how to disable a safety feature, even if the person knows how... it's illegal... to an extent, depending on where you live. Here in the States, there is no law requiring DRLs. The odd part is, the dealer should know that DRLs can be disabled using TechStream, and I'm surprised they didn't try to get you in for them to disable them in 5 minutes for $100+. The dealer is the last place to ask something like that.

As for using HIDs in high beams, they're fine if you never have to flash your lights, or if you never have to switch back and forth between low and high. I'm in Pennsyltuckey as well, and even though I drive on a lot of dark back roads, it seems I always have an oncoming vehicle coming at some point. Every time you turn the high beams off and on, it's firing the ballast to ignite the bulb again. It's hard on the ballasts.

As recommended above, I'd look into LEDs. The prices are getting to within HID prices, and there are no worries about burning out ballasts if you have to flash. Plus, LEDs are instantly bright, unlike HIDs that require a second or two to get up to brightness.
Well said. Toyota dealers (I rarely go to Lexus) by me will not disable DRL because they want to the car to be compliant when you take it across state lines and borders, regardless if they can make an easy $100. They won't even turn off the seat beat chime on newer cars even though its also a function on Techstream.
Old 02-05-17, 01:36 PM
Pepp
Driver

I never considered having to constantly turn my high beams on and off with oncoming traffic. You make a great point. Just a couple questions about LEDs though. Can I still run into any problems with flickering? Should I still disconnect the DRL's ( I really don't like the yellow dull look anyhow)?What is techstream, I never heard of it? Can you recommend a quality led? I'm not sure if it helps my situation at all but I know the car has the heavy duty alternator that came with the tow package. Lots of questions but want to do it right the first time with no chance of any damage to the car.
Old 02-05-17, 07:54 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Yes, it is even more noticeable with LED's when it comes to flickering. You will either need big capacitors or as mentioned before, disable the DRL function. But I recommend disabling the DRL as big caps will run the LED's at full power as your DRL and could blind oncoming drivers. Techstream is the diagnostic software Toyota and Lexus uses in their dealerships.

Personally I have cheap LED's in my Camry because I rarely use my highs and DRL being from the city. They're rated at 3200 lumens but I take that with a grain of salt. My recommendations is get the highest lumens possible and get a kit that does NOT use a fan to cool it as that's just an extra point of failure.
Old 02-05-17, 08:18 PM
Pepp
Driver

Based on the helpful info provided by you and Redgemini I will go with the LEDs while disconnecting the DRL's as this seems like an easy task by switching the relays. I use my high beams constantly driving over back roads and Pennsylvania mountains. I often experience fog goin over the mountains when the weather starts fluctuating so I purchased a set of 80w LEDs ( plug in no fans) for my fog lights but haven't installed them yet. Thinking of looking at the xenondepot LEDs for the high beams but still open to suggestions
Old 02-05-17, 09:12 PM
Pepp
Driver

Do you know if my vehicle requires canbus? My high beams are 60w is there a difference by going with a 35w or 55w kit if the both say 6000 k.can I go with a bulb with a higher wattage then my vehicle. I recently purchased 80w LEDs for my fogs and in the q & a they said that was fine
Old 02-06-17, 06:41 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Based on the helpful info provided by you and Redgemini I will go with the LEDs while disconnecting the DRL's as this seems like an easy task by switching the relays. I use my high beams constantly driving over back roads and Pennsylvania mountains. I often experience fog goin over the mountains when the weather starts fluctuating so I purchased a set of 80w LEDs ( plug in no fans) for my fog lights but haven't installed them yet. Thinking of looking at the xenondepot LEDs for the high beams but still open to suggestions
XenonDepot or TheRetrofitSource are both fine choices, I have used HID kits from both with zero complaints. Plus, both companies have great customer service.

Do you know if my vehicle requires canbus? My high beams are 60w is there a difference by going with a 35w or 55w kit if the both say 6000 k.can I go with a bulb with a higher wattage then my vehicle. I recently purchased 80w LEDs for my fogs and in the q & a they said that was fine
I do not think so for the high beams from my experience with older Toyota/Lexus, but I haven't touched my RX. Worse case you just need an inline CANBUS eliminator which XD sells.
The following users liked this post:
Pepp (02-06-17)