RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

LED Lighting Upgrades to the Exterior

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-17, 12:05 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default LED Lighting Upgrades to the Exterior

Hello Fellow CL Members,

It's been a few months since I sold modded '98 GS400 for an '07 RX350. Since I have no intention or plans to enhance the engine performance or audio on the car, I've been making lighting upgrades here and there and wanted to share a few videos with everyone. In total, I spent about $100 for 3 sets of LEDs which you see in the videos. They are all by the brand, JDM astar. Hope you enjoy!

Headlamps: Xenon Depot 6000K D2S HIDs
Fog Lights: JDM astar 6500K COB LEDs 9006s

Front Turn Signals: Amber 3030 SMD LEDs
Rear Turn Signals: Red 21 PX LEDs

Overall, I am happy with my LED lighting upgrades and the money spent. I didn't include any videos of LED wedge bulbs and also the 7000K LED reverse light. Thanks for checking out the thread!

- Theo
The following users liked this post:
exaktoh (03-09-17)
Old 01-31-17, 01:33 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Looks good! Did you need load resistors/new flasher relay for the turn signal LED's?

Also, is it just me or are your low beams are not leveled...... The left side (looking from the steering wheel) seems to be slumped downward compared to the right.
Old 01-31-17, 01:42 PM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
Looks good! Did you need load resistors/new flasher relay for the turn signal LED's?

Also, is it just me or are your low beams are not leveled...... The left side (looking from the steering wheel) seems to be slumped downward compared to the right.
Thanks. Yes, I ended up purchasing an 8-pin LED Flasher Relay for Lexus vehicles. I didn't want to fuss with load resistors.

From what I read and believe, the driver's side head light is usually pointed a bit lower than the passenger side to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. I have the AFS function enabled on the car so it constantly re-levels the projectors automatically.
Old 01-31-17, 02:02 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by sleeper408
Thanks. Yes, I ended up purchasing an 8-pin LED Flasher Relay for Lexus vehicles. I didn't want to fuss with load resistors.

From what I read and believe, the driver's side head light is usually pointed a bit lower than the passenger side to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. I have the AFS function enabled on the car so it constantly re-levels the projectors automatically.
Do you know where the relay is? On my Camry it's behind the instrument cluster not sure about the RX. Now that I see your pics, I'm interested in some for my RX too, I put switchbacks on my Camry and love them.

Odd, while what you're saying is true, I don't think they should be that far apart nor that high judging by your video. My RX also has AFS HID and the cutoffs are equal to each other after startup calibration. I haven't messed with my Lexus much but do know a bit about HID leveling from my Camry. I did a full D2S HID retrofit (non-AFS - that doesn't exist for Toyos) on my camry and in order to aim them to factory specs, both cutoffs needed to be equal but a certain height to avoid blinding. My RX and Camry are close in height with the RX being slightly higher due to its higher ride height. If you're not blinding oncoming drivers, no big issue but proper alignment does make a difference in light performance.
Old 01-31-17, 03:26 PM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
Do you know where the relay is? On my Camry it's behind the instrument cluster not sure about the RX. Now that I see your pics, I'm interested in some for my RX too, I put switchbacks on my Camry and love them.

Odd, while what you're saying is true, I don't think they should be that far apart nor that high judging by your video. My RX also has AFS HID and the cutoffs are equal to each other after startup calibration. I haven't messed with my Lexus much but do know a bit about HID leveling from my Camry. I did a full D2S HID retrofit (non-AFS - that doesn't exist for Toyos) on my camry and in order to aim them to factory specs, both cutoffs needed to be equal but a certain height to avoid blinding. My RX and Camry are close in height with the RX being slightly higher due to its higher ride height. If you're not blinding oncoming drivers, no big issue but proper alignment does make a difference in light performance.
The harness is underneath the driver's side steering column. If you slide the driver's seat all the way back, then get on your back and lay on the driver's side floorboard, the harness is tucked up around where the emergency pedal is. It's tucked pretty well up in that area. I think saw some instructions either here on the CL forum or YouTube to find the location of the appropriate harness to plug in the relay.

You may be correct about the leveling. When I'm watching the video I uploaded, I was at the very entryway of the driveway (slight incline) so the nose of my car is pointed upward and my car is slightly leaning toward the left because of the driver's side wheels are in the rain gutter. When I'm parked in my garage, the lights are almost identically leveled with the driver's side being slightly lower.
Lexuswiz (01-31-17)
Old 01-31-17, 03:52 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

WOW! Very nice!
Old 01-31-17, 04:41 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

The harness is underneath the driver's side steering column. If you slide the driver's seat all the way back, then get on your back and lay on the driver's side floorboard, the harness is tucked up around where the emergency pedal is. It's tucked pretty well up in that area. I think saw some instructions either here on the CL forum or YouTube to find the location of the appropriate harness to plug in the relay.

You may be correct about the leveling. When I'm watching the video I uploaded, I was at the very entryway of the driveway (slight incline) so the nose of my car is pointed upward and my car is slightly leaning toward the left because of the driver's side wheels are in the rain gutter. When I'm parked in my garage, the lights are almost identically leveled with the driver's side being slightly lower.
Got it, thanks! I definitely saw it then when I was doing my remote start. Just didn't know it was the flasher relay opposed to the other relays in the area.

Also, makes a lot more sense. That one wheel on the rain gutter will definitely throw the AFS off.
Old 01-31-17, 08:35 PM
sleeper408

Lexuswiz, there is a lower harness that sits near the border of the plastic panel and it's firmly secured. It's not that one. If you reach up higher, there is a smaller harness that sort of dangles freely and isn't bolted down. This is the harness to plug the relay into. You definitely sound like you know what you're doing when it comes to DIY. When you actually have the 8-pin in hand and you're underneath to search where to plug it, it immediately becomes clear.
Lexuswiz (02-01-17)
Old 02-01-17, 04:14 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd really like more info on this 8-pin relay...

I've been thinking about doing LEDs all over, but I have more important things to take care of before I spend money on something like this... like seeing if I can get the mechanic to convince my warranty company to replace my transmission before it expires...
Old 02-01-17, 06:33 AM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Lexuswiz, there is a lower harness that sits near the border of the plastic panel and it's firmly secured. It's not that one. If you reach up higher, there is a smaller harness that sort of dangles freely and isn't bolted down. This is the harness to plug the relay into. You definitely sound like you know what you're doing when it comes to DIY. When you actually have the 8-pin in hand and you're underneath to search where to plug it, it immediately becomes clear.
Thanks!

Yeah, I know what harness you're talking about, the once attached to the plastic panel runs that footwheel LED and doesn't look thick enough to be a sophisticated harness. So you're saying there's no relay in the 8 pin currently if I look? It's been a few months since working in the drivers kick and steering wheel area so I'm a bit foggy on what I saw but I'm pretty good at DIY/electronics, it's just that on my Camry you needed to swap the relays, now sure what the Lexus runs on if you're saying there's nothing connected to the pin.....
Old 02-01-17, 07:00 AM
sleeper408

I honestly can't remember if there was a stock relay or not.
Old 02-01-17, 11:41 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RedGemini

I've been thinking about doing LEDs all over, but I have more important things to take care of before I spend money on something like this... like seeing if I can get the mechanic to convince my warranty company to replace my transmission before it expires...
I hear you...
I have a few less issues, (none serious for now) than you to attend to first also, unfortunately LED lights will have to get to the back of the line.
Excellent performance for brightness & they will most likely last for the life of the SUV.
Hopefully you will be covered for the transmission.
Old 02-01-17, 04:49 PM
sleeper408

Smile

Originally Posted by 05RX330AWD
I hear you...
I have a few less issues, (none serious for now) than you to attend to first also, unfortunately LED lights will have to get to the back of the line.
Excellent performance for brightness & they will most likely last for the life of the SUV.
Hopefully you will be covered for the transmission.
I have maintenance as #1, and since I can't seem to keep any vehicle I own completely stock, I decided to upgrade lighting since I don't have plans to enhance performance or audio. Plus, it's easier for me to justify to my wife that lighting upgrades = increased safety for her and my son.
Old 02-01-17, 05:26 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

I have maintenance as #1, and since I can't seem to keep any vehicle I own completely stock, I decided to upgrade lighting since I don't have plans to enhance performance or audio. Plus, it's easier for me to justify to my wife that lighting upgrades = increased safety for her and my son.
I definitely agree. I can't find myself to fully "rice" out my RX compared to my camry but have definitely done some tasteful mods to it myself.
Old 02-01-17, 05:31 PM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by RedGemini

Here is the product I purchased: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x8-Pin-LED-...ZTuITR&vxp=mtr

It's fairly inexpensive.

Quick Reply: LED Lighting Upgrades to the Exterior